The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 12:43

Novakovich called up to the USA squad. Well done to him

With Kelly back to last seasons form, and Richards and Smith making a decent impression, the academy lads are proving about the only bright spot this season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Mar 2018 16:58

Hound Novakovich called up to the USA squad. Well done to him

With Kelly back to last seasons form, and Richards and Smith making a decent impression, the academy lads are proving about the only bright spot this season

Perhaps that’s the plan. Invest more thoroughly in the youth by getting relegated so it’s easier for them to get established and make the fans feel closer to the club. Then sell them on for loads and repeat.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Mar 2018 09:09

shamelessly stolen from that Talk Reading chap, but apparently Reading have 6 players in the England U16 squad.

Pretty impressive stuff. Any talk of closing down or downgrading any part of the academy in the event of relegation should be shot down immediately

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Mar 2018 09:16

Hound shamelessly stolen from that Talk Reading chap, but apparently Reading have 6 players in the England U16 squad.

Pretty impressive stuff. Any talk of closing down or downgrading any part of the academy in the event of relegation should be shot down immediately

Relegation won't effect the Academy status as far as I'm aware. Only thing that could affect it is the ability to finance and support it to the level required by the FA.

double d

by double d » 21 Mar 2018 09:39

Sutekh
Hound shamelessly stolen from that Talk Reading chap, but apparently Reading have 6 players in the England U16 squad.

Relegation won't effect the Academy status as far as I'm aware. Only thing that could affect it is the ability to finance and support it to the level required by the FA.

Yeah we do have a lot in there, just checked. One is Roberto Nditi who I have read on here somewhere is the next big thing, and captain of our team.

England under 16's also contains the absolutely fabulously English-named Arsenal player Armstrong Okoflex, Chelsea player Valentino Livramento and Fulham Player Fabio Carvalho :lol:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Mar 2018 11:40

Sutekh

Not much surprises me in general with football but I'd be pretty taken aback if they didn't continue it given they've only very recently hired Ged Roddy.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2017/2018

by muirinho » 24 Mar 2018 15:28

Victory for the U18s against Norwich. 4-1. Including two for a new joinee, Moroyin Omolabi, who appears to have joined us from Tottenham.

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/ ... 0839387136

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Mar 2018 16:33

Nice to see Loader start and have a hand in the goal for the England U18s as well

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Mar 2018 17:33

double d
Sutekh

Yeah we do have a lot in there, just checked. One is Roberto Nditi who I have read on here somewhere is the next big thing, and captain of our team.

Yep, yet Pendlebury captains the team at international level.

Collins is rated higher than Southwood, that's saying something...

Osorio and Dorsett have limitless potential at the moment. Big things expected from all four of them. Nditi looks promising too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Mar 2018 10:34

nice little article on Danny Loader and his brother:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -brothers/

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2018 11:10

Hound nice little article on Danny Loader and his brother:

Meet Ben and Danny Loader - Britain's most talented sporting brothers

I'm thinking the Brownlee brothers might have something to say about that headline!
Last edited by Hoop Blah on 26 Mar 2018 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

double d

by double d » 26 Mar 2018 11:37

Hoop Blah

I'm thinking the Brownlee brothers might have something to say about that headline!

Or the Nevilles

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Mar 2018 13:32

Hoop Blah

Agreed, most diversely talented brothers, could possible be a better strap line.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Mar 2018 13:42

Hendo
Hoop Blah

Agreed, most diversely talented brothers, could possible be a better strap line.

Listen, if one of them was an opera singer, and the other a rugby player - or one of them a footballer and the other a poet - most diversely talented might work.

But not when they are both sports talents.

Basically there's no way to rejig that headline without it looking OTT.

would have been better as "Britain's newest sporting brothers" or somesuch

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Mar 2018 13:47

Sums this site up at the moment when a nice read about one of our up and coming stars only ends up in a discussion as to how accurate the headline is :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Mar 2018 14:35

double d
Hoop Blah

Or the Nevilles

The Joseph's.

Jonathan plays rugby for England, Hannah plays netball for England/high standard.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2018 14:39

LWJ The Joseph's.

Jonathan plays rugby for England, Hannah plays netball for England/high standard.

Would Hannah count as a brother though... :shock:

Hound Sums this site up at the moment when a nice read about one of our up and coming stars only ends up in a discussion as to how accurate the headline is :lol:

True, and not quite what I intended!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Mar 2018 16:35

Hoop Blah
LWJ The Joseph's.

Would Hannah count as a brother though... :shock:

Teaches me to skim read!

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Mar 2018 12:34

We don't have any players in the current squad

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Mar 2018 11:36

Not really sure what thread to put this in but some views from USMNT fans on Novakovich’s (very brief) debut;

Novakovich, look at that stride, so fluid and fast, he was achieving the perfect body symmetry out there before he got too full of himself.

Novakovich should of gotten more time. He's a big men with a eye for goal, good feet/technique, and he seems to t know how to use his gait ont he run.

Novakovich: Really legged out that goal-scoring chance, should've layed it off to Rubin. A couple of decent hold-up plays. Did more than Wood in fewer minutes.

Novakovich: Wasn't able to hold up a long ball to relieve pressure and didn't take his one chance (and didn't square it to the open guy on the far side), but did show surprising wheels to get the chance in the first place

The burst Novakovich showed on the last goal attempt was very promising. Wasn't impressed with him up to that point. Weah is one of our better prospects but I'd like to see him develop his one on one game more. Rubin had a nice play or two but he always looks a bit awkward and athletically limited to me.

7490 posts