BFTG Fleetwood shambles

126 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Fleetwood shambles

by NathStPaul » 25 Oct 2023 08:44

I will be checking Twitter every hour on the hour this morning.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2023 08:47

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound Yeah other than the width bit - don’t agree there the wingers were playing wide - difficult to argue with

They play too high rather than too narrow. First goal was more from 3 players standing and watching in the middle, the phase of play where it went down the wing had been dealt with

We make chances but they seem to come from random places and the fact the opposition aren’t very good half the time

We did look a right mess. Some good players and good individual bits of play at times, but a mess. Confidence clearly very low

Too high and too narrow. Depending on the game depends on which is more obvious.

I've rarely seen a performance where its so obvious half the team are just switched off.

First 30, the entire team except Button were on a different planet. Awful mentality

They're not enjoying playing. Amazing, really, that Selles has taken that from a bunch of, essentially, debutants so quickly.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Oct 2023 08:53

It's obvious it's not the job for Selles, probably got some decent ideas but this isn't going to work for him, although tough to see who it will work for at the moment. We just look all over the place, disjointed doesn't really come into it anymore. A bit of a game of two halves really and some missed chances that we need to be burying.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Oct 2023 09:07

YorkshireRoyal99 It's obvious it's not the job for Selles, probably got some decent ideas but this isn't going to work for him, although tough to see who it will work for at the moment. We just look all over the place, disjointed doesn't really come into it anymore. A bit of a game of two halves really and some missed chances that we need to be burying.

Yup, to be honest no manager is going to have long term success with us whilst Dai is here, even a good manager. They might drag some wins out of the players and keep us up but they won't be able to kick on because of the financial restrictions we're under.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 25 Oct 2023 09:22

“The only ones that can turn the situation around are the players and the technical staff. We need to do it.”

So he doesn't even blame himself :roll:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Oct 2023 09:49

How's it the players fault? they're young and learning professional football. They need proper strong guidance on how to approach games. A good manager would recognise that. Shows how clueless he is

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Oct 2023 09:54

https://twitter.com/SamMikeyMike/status ... 7073594867

How much does this say about the current state of the club? Have to laugh at ourselves a little sometimes. :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2023 10:00

Royal_jimmy How's it the players fault? they're young and learning professional football. They need proper strong guidance on how to approach games. A good manager would recognise that. Shows how clueless he is

Of course it’s the players fault as well. Players at that level shouldn’t keep making the mistakes they are. They aren’t all young - Dean, Smith, Knibbs, NGW, Wing, Button etc They need to step up

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Oct 2023 10:01

Absolute dire first 30 minutes - and lets be honest, Fleetwood should of been 4up - they missed some absolute sitters yet scored a worldie.

Azeez change needed, brought some much needed width and outlet, and from our perspective he changed the game.

We are powder puff in the middle of the park, way too open and our full backs were just so poor. Exposed time and time again, Charlton and then last night. I am a little perplexed with the comments around this 4-2-2-2 formation, because from what i saw it pretty much looked like a 4-4-2.

Either way, it is just shambolic. Change is needed, can only be the gardening leave option and then perhaps Hunt and another ex Reading legend to steer the ship. I am hearing there could be some form of announcement on Friday with regards to takeover, American ownership, so lets hope this is the case. Will go some way to remove the toxicity and a fresh start incoming. They might give Selles one more game, then its all systems go with regards to change after the weekend.

When fit - i do think we have to go old school and get the more senior pro's in now. Team to include, Holmes, Mcyintyre, Mbengue, Yiadom, with excitng youth built around it. Only a new manager can make that change.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 25 Oct 2023 10:05

Royal_jimmy How's it the players fault? they're young and learning professional football. They need proper strong guidance on how to approach games. A good manager would recognise that. Shows how clueless he is

Yep, just teach them 4-4-2/the basics/game management. Gain their confidence. Then slowly tweak as the season goes on.

Bindon & Abbey were the dream centre back pairing at the start of the season, why change it ?

Been overrun in midfield all season. Sort that out first.

Azeez flatters to deceive. Always in good positions but seemingly cannot beat a full back. He's got something though, so work on that.

That first half was the lowest of the low in recent memory, unfortunately.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Oct 2023 10:11

paultheroyal Absolute dire first 30 minutes - and lets be honest, Fleetwood should of been 4up - they missed some absolute sitters yet scored a worldie.

Azeez change needed, brought some much needed width and outlet, and from our perspective he changed the game.

We are powder puff in the middle of the park, way too open and our full backs were just so poor. Exposed time and time again, Charlton and then last night. I am a little perplexed with the comments around this 4-2-2-2 formation, because from what i saw it pretty much looked like a 4-4-2.

Either way, it is just shambolic. Change is needed, can only be the gardening leave option and then perhaps Hunt and another ex Reading legend to steer the ship. I am hearing there could be some form of announcement on Friday with regards to takeover, American ownership, so lets hope this is the case. Will go some way to remove the toxicity and a fresh start incoming. They might give Selles one more game, then its all systems go with regards to change after the weekend.

When fit - i do think we have to go old school and get the more senior pro's in now. Team to include, Holmes, Mcyintyre, Mbengue, Yiadom, with excitng youth built around it. Only a new manager can make that change.

Source on the potential deal?

Tbh, I expect a statement on Friday, but it'll be along the lines of "Please be nice and don't protest; we promise we is trying our bestest to sell, and there may something in the pipeline, honest." while everyone knows Dai is batting away offers and holding out for an unrealistic figure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2023 10:22

paultheroyal Absolute dire first 30 minutes - and lets be honest, Fleetwood should of been 4up - they missed some absolute sitters yet scored a worldie.

Yeah that pretty much.

Obvs the ownership stuff has taken a massive toll but with the players at the club it’s unacceptable to be where we are

Fwiw my feeling is it’s the pressing which we’re getting all wrong which is leading to us being constantly all over the shop more than anything else

A team of
Button
Yiadom Abbey Holmes NGW
Knibbs Hutch Wing Azeez
Smith Ehibhatiomhan

TMc Dean perreira Mbengue Savage etc etc

Really should have no problem picking up adequate points in this league to get us out of trouble. Then we know we have the academy lads backing up

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Oct 2023 10:26

Yeah I do think we need to get some experience back in the team now with Holmes, McIntyre and Yiadom. Abbey deserves to retain his place and I am a fan of Bindon at CB, although he might need a spell out at the moment. I know we have Dean at the back but no reason as to why we couldn't switch to a 3 and then keep Dean in and put one of Yiadom, Holmes, McIntyre or Hutchinson in there.

The big concern for me is that the midfield seems to lack some steel, the midfield by and large for me has been the problem area for a couple of years now which was a shame because for the first third of last season, it looked as if we had a good foundation in there. I know people point fingers at the defence, but I actually think the midfield has been the worst area at the club since Pauno's second half of his first season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Oct 2023 10:34

Very surprised to hear the usually reserved Mick come out with "This manager hasn't got a clue" at the end of the game.
People have been very dismissive of Fleetwood but I thought they played some decent pass and move football before tiring in the second half.

As for us?
Button was ok as was Abbey but otherwise 4/10 performances.

Just on Azeez I think posters suggesting that he changed the game was a bit OTT.
He shot straight at the keeper but worse still he is terrified of making a tackle and not being blessed with speed he can't go outside his man and always comes back on his left foot.
He is not the only one to underachieve this season but , as with Loader, he may not be as good as we all hoped he would be and 2 goals in about 40 games is a poor return for a player used in a fairly advanced position and sometimes as an out and out striker.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Oct 2023 10:35

Royal_jimmy
Elm Park Kid
Royal_jimmy I just don't know where we go from here.

1) We get relegated and Dai just gives up and stops funding us

2) Because of Dai's incompetence and wrecklessness we're unable to sign any decent players due to embargoes

3) We appoint yet another nobody manager who has no clue what he's doing

4) We lose 6 of our last 7 games including tonight against a team who were 8 divisions below us in the first season we were in the premier league. We won't sack Selles because Dai has gone AWOL.

At some point Dai is going to go and a new owner will come in. Once they've sorted out the finances we shouldn't face too much trouble in bringing in a half-decent manager - at the end of the day we are one of the bigger clubs in the EFL and should be able to attract decent candidates once they know that we have competent owners. It might take a few transfer windows (for embargoes to end), but we will sort out the team and our financial advantage will eventually tell.

Basically, it might take a couple of seasons but the club will get back to where it belongs.

It's likely to be a long road back. Could be 8-10 years at least before we're back in the championship if not longer.

Funny thing is some of our fans wanted relegation but it's just showing all the decay now.

Oh and one thing about the game. Why wasn't Button allowed to go up for the corners at the end, crazy management.

Are you not enjoying the great reset?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Oct 2023 10:41

South Coast Royal Very surprised to hear the usually reserved Mick come out with "This manager hasn't got a clue" at the end of the game.
People have been very dismissive of Fleetwood but I thought they played some decent pass and move football before tiring in the second half.

As for us?
Button was ok as was Abbey but otherwise 4/10 performances.

Just on Azeez I think posters suggesting that he changed the game was a bit OTT.
He shot straight at the keeper but worse still he is terrified of making a tackle and not being blessed with speed he can't go outside his man and always comes back on his left foot.
He is not the only one to underachieve this season but , as with Loader, he may not be as good as we all hoped he would be and 2 goals in about 40 games is a poor return for a player used in a fairly advanced position and sometimes as an out and out striker.

Azeez has had a really disappointing season - there is real talent there but its not happening for him at the moment. But for fans to call him out last night is just ridiculous, he was our best player.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Oct 2023 10:42

SouthDownsRoyal
Royal_jimmy
Elm Park Kid
At some point Dai is going to go and a new owner will come in. Once they've sorted out the finances we shouldn't face too much trouble in bringing in a half-decent manager - at the end of the day we are one of the bigger clubs in the EFL and should be able to attract decent candidates once they know that we have competent owners. It might take a few transfer windows (for embargoes to end), but we will sort out the team and our financial advantage will eventually tell.

Basically, it might take a couple of seasons but the club will get back to where it belongs.

It's likely to be a long road back. Could be 8-10 years at least before we're back in the championship if not longer.

Funny thing is some of our fans wanted relegation but it's just showing all the decay now.

Oh and one thing about the game. Why wasn't Button allowed to go up for the corners at the end, crazy management.

Are you not enjoying the great reset?

:lol: :lol:

In hindsight there was no chance of a reset with Dai at the helm. If we had a new owner in L2 I'd still love a proper reset. Even in the national League.

It may well take a decade to get us back to where we were, so you'd then be looking at over 15 lost years if you go back to Dai's takeover in 2017. But to get to a point where we can say with confidence that we're past the nadir, can start looking up and have a team who can compete on the pitch - that will be worth enjoying whatever level it happens at.

Obviously best case scenario is we sell this week, survive this season and can reset in L1. But more than anything I want to see a brighter future over being stuck in a doom loop with no apparent end.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Oct 2023 10:55

South Coast Royal People have been very dismissive of Fleetwood but I thought they played some decent pass and move football before tiring in the second half.

Most Sunday league teams could pass around statues.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Oct 2023 11:01

If we had stayed up last year and stayed in the championship, this season we would have lost almost every game been an embarrassment and had points deducted

:?

Joking aside we all want the same thing we just all desperately need some hope as it’s just Groundhog Day everyday

Dai is killing the club :(

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 25 Oct 2023 11:28

Bindon didn’t help Azeez last night with some of his passes which were just going out of play time and time again. 3 times in the second-half he must have looked for him with the narrowest gap available.

Also noticed Abbey was very reluctant to pass to NGW in the first-half. Not sure whether it was an instruction to play through the lines but it was frustrating he constantly had lots of space but wasn’t used.

Some of those players need to take a look at themselves. We had a situation where Savage is walking to take a corner as if we we were 3-0 up when we were 1-0 and very much on the ropes. Azeez was openly allowing the keeper to time waste with a reluctance to give him back the ball when he’s stood a yard away from it.

In the end came away as flat as I’ve felt after a game. On chances created we should have at least taken a point and in the end had nothing to show for it. Credit to Fleetwood, they did a job on us and the celebrations when they bagged the winner was a team unified and believing.

126 posts