Reading FC was a West Reading club

124 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by handbags_harris » 19 Nov 2010 17:11

Fox Talbot Floyd, customarily you're a man of sound judgment...

:shock: :| :!:

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 19 Nov 2010 18:19

I love the application of 'Ossie' and 'Wessie' to Redingensians.
Anyone who defends West Reading has never had to take a 38 (or whatever the current incarnation of that route may be) all the way to Purley.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 Nov 2010 20:36

prostak I love the application of 'Ossie' and 'Wessie' to Redingensians.
Anyone who defends West Reading has never had to take a 38 (or whatever the current incarnation of that route may be) all the way to Purley.

Why would you need to take the 28 (as the closest bus to the 38 is numbered now) when you have a car?

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 19 Nov 2010 22:32

readingbedding
Para Handy Indeed. The first game was played at King's Meadow making Reading a Caversham club. The West Reading mob are plastic johnny come latelys.

1st game was at Reading school.

Swing and a miss you safari suited twat.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 21 Nov 2010 00:28

floyd__streete
VaLOLid. Seriously though, whenever I have to venture west of the Ramada I begin to feel unsafe and no little depressed. I genuinely feel for anyone who lives in the other half of the town, a genuinely gloomy place it is with your weird Oxford Road streetlighting and run-down sex shops. You all buy your dinner from the 555 fish bar too. It is like a different town, indeed a different world. West Reading = the DDR, East Reading = the BRD, they should build a brick wall along the IDR. And aren't your accents weird: "dayn tayn to pop in to the caynsil."

Oh Dear! what a shame, floyd has stooped to primary school mentality! And aren't your accents weird? 'Your' accents? I think that you will find that the accent you are referring to is the indigineous Reading/Berkshire accent, found occasionally in all areas of the Town and certainly no more in West reading than any where else, you Silly Boy!
Last edited by oldebiscuit on 21 Nov 2010 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 21 Nov 2010 01:14

Z175
oldebiscuit
readingbedding i have to admit that the whole Town is a grey, un-inspiring and not very attractive, being the sort of place that you wouldn't visit unless you had some business here or a relative to visit. All the areas have a few nice spots, ( The Warren, Oak Tree Road, The University area etc.) but generally not one suburb is much better than another. There seems to be a lot of serious crime and 'No Go Areas' in CAVERSHAM, but nice restaurants. In TILEHURST there is a lot of, but less serious crime, but not a decent restaurant to be found (except Indian), and its where lots of Reading players used to live in the days when they earned ordinary money. SOUTHCOTE and COLEY just seem to be unattractive Council Estates. WOODLEY is full of 'Wannabee Gangsters'/Village Idiots' and no decent venues. WHITLEY, not even a pub now because the Locals can't behave. EARLEY, dull, soulless area with lots of 'Mr. Average' ugly 1960's housing, neatly cut front lawns and HP cars (check out 'Mr. Clean' by 'The Jam'), and full of students who just think that Reading is the nearest shopping convenience to their University. EAST READING/NEWTOWN, its where you go to buy your coke. Full of 'Dodgy Characters' that would chiv you up without a second thought. WEST READING (see east Reading) and its where you go for seedy late night entertainment after you've been kicked out of the pubs. The Oxford Road probably the most interesting road in Reading, although you wouldn't want to live there. But for reasons that i can't explain, i like living in Reading.

great post - i have updated wikipdia

I live in Caversham and would love to know which area is a 'no go areas', as they seemed to have passed me by. This has confused me. - also what serious crime, other than the odd mugging?????? Its no nivarna, but its nothing like you have suggested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading,_Berkshire

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 21 Nov 2010 02:00

oldebiscuit
floyd__streete
VaLOLid. Seriously though, whenever I have to venture west of the Ramada I begin to feel unsafe and no little depressed. I genuinely feel for anyone who lives in the other half of the town, a genuinely gloomy place it is with your weird Oxford Road streetlighting and run-down sex shops. You all buy your dinner from the 555 fish bar too. It is like a different town, indeed a different world. West Reading = the DDR, East Reading = the BRD, they should build a brick wall along the IDR. And aren't your accents weird: "dayn tayn to pop in to the caynsil."

Oh Dear! what a twat, floyd has stooped to primary school mentality! And aren't your accents weird? 'Your' accents? I think that you will find that is the indigineous Reading/Berkshire accent, heard occasionally in all areas of the Town and certainly no more in West reading than any where else, you Silly Boy!

Sorry - that accent has but a trace of the true Berkshire accent, which seems to have died out during the 80s and 90s. When I was growing up, people from Earley had different accents to those from Purley or Tilehurst, but not any more.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 21 Nov 2010 02:08

prostak Redingensians.

:| Only applicable to those educated within the bounds of Erleigh Rd, Craven Rd, Addington Rd and Alexandra Rd.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 21 Nov 2010 03:20

Well, we're the only ones from this town who matter, honey.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 21 Nov 2010 10:02

Para Handy
readingbedding
Para Handy Indeed. The first game was played at King's Meadow making Reading a Caversham club. The West Reading mob are plastic johnny come latelys.

1st game was at Reading school.

Swing and a miss you safari suited twat.

No, first game was on King's Meadow.

No, in my day you'd just as easily hit a brighter-than-average urchin who had been forced into a lounge suit at the age of 11.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Nov 2010 12:39

oldebiscuit Oh Dear! what a shame, floyd has stooped to primary school mentality! And aren't your accents weird? 'Your' accents? I think that you will find that the accent you are referring to is the indigineous Reading/Berkshire accent, found occasionally in all areas of the Town and certainly no more in West reading than any where else, you Silly Boy!

:|

Is it really necessary for me to put a winky-face after I post something tongue-in-cheek when bored? How did we ever cope with irony before emoticons?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 21 Nov 2010 20:39

floyd__streete
Big Foot
floyd__streete Elm Park was a good metaphor for West Reading actually; shabby, ugly looking and unloved by the population at large.

Madejski Stadium sums up all that one would associate with our fans from other areas of town: plastic, a bit souless and generally shit.

Dinner at the 555 used to be the highlight of my evening before a match. I remember bumping into the late (and always friendly) Dennis Allen and calling out something inane like "Let's have a couple of goals from you tonight, Mr. Allen (I was respectful) and receiving the reply that he would try his best. Happy days...

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 21 Nov 2010 22:48

Fox Talbot No, first game was on King's Meadow.

No, in my day you'd just as easily hit a brighter-than-average urchin who had been forced into a lounge suit at the age of 11.

Not sure what you're on about there Fox. I'm agreeing that the first game was at King's Meadow. I was trying to post a satirical reply to the previous poster. Your post was informative and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 21 Nov 2010 23:36

bigshaka'away'

I live in Caversham and would love to know which area is a 'no go areas', as they seemed to have passed me by. This has confused me. - also what serious crime, other than the odd mugging?????? Its no nivarna, but its nothing like you have suggested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading,_Berkshire
[/quote]

Evesham road, Alston Walk, etc. I think you will find it difficult to get a taxi to those destinations. Also, most of the recent shootings and murders in Reading have been committed in Caversham. Not a dig, but a fact.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 21 Nov 2010 23:58

prostak
oldebiscuit
floyd__streete

Oh Dear! what a twat, floyd has stooped to primary school mentality! And aren't your accents weird? 'Your' accents? I think that you will find that is the indigineous Reading/Berkshire accent, heard occasionally in all areas of the Town and certainly no more in West reading than any where else, you Silly Boy!

Sorry - that accent has but a trace of the true Berkshire accent, which seems to have died out during the 80s and 90s. When I was growing up, people from Earley had different accents to those from Purley or Tilehurst, but not any more.

When i was a young lad in Tilehurst (Capital of The World), most people were from else where. The area i lived in was a newish fifties private housing estate, (the 1950's version of Lower Earley) and it was populated with people that had come to Reading for work. I have to be honest, the old Berkshire accent was not heard there. I was probably 12 or 13 before i heard this interesting and colourful accent, and it was not in Tilehurst. I have to say, i have no problem with it. What we all have to remember is. like it or not, the 'dane tane' accent is our real accent. Accents are interesting, colourful and not to be ASHAMED of, and definately not to be ridiculed. So come on boys, are you snobs? should we rename this site 'Hob Snob anyone'? Come on floyd and co, get a grip! I bet you all have a bit of 'ooh arr' in your accents.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 22 Nov 2010 11:08

Para Handy
Fox Talbot No, first game was on King's Meadow.

Not sure what you're on about there Fox. I'm agreeing that the first game was at King's Meadow. I was trying to post a satirical reply to the previous poster. Your post was informative and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I beg your pardon - I mis-read who wrote the wrong bit.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 22 Nov 2010 11:11

prostak I love the application of 'Ossie' and 'Wessie' to Redingensians.

The Butts Centre is Checkpoint Charlie and the office of the Intervention Board is the Fernsehnturm. :lol:

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 22 Nov 2010 13:18

oldebiscuit
readingbedding Indeed, I would also say that West Reading is the heartbeat of the whole town.

RFC will always be a West Reading club to me...

Wasn't Reading FC founded after a meeting in Bridge street (North Reading), with the first games being played at Reading Recreation Park (Courages sports ground at Coley Park), followed by games being payed at Hills Meadow, Caversham? Its not exactley West Reading.

PS as someone that was born and bred in Reading (West actually), i have to admit that the whole Town is a grey, un-inspiring and not very attractive, being the sort of place that you wouldn't visit unless you had some business here or a relative to visit. All the areas have a few nice spots, ( The Warren, Oak Tree Road, The University area etc.) but generally not one suburb is much better than another. There seems to be a lot of serious crime and 'No Go Areas' in CAVERSHAM, but nice restaurants. In TILEHURST there is a lot of, but less serious crime, but not a decent restaurant to be found (except Indian), and its where lots of Reading players used to live in the days when they earned ordinary money. SOUTHCOTE and COLEY just seem to be unattractive Council Estates. WOODLEY is full of 'Wannabee Gangsters'/Village Idiots' and no decent venues. WHITLEY, not even a pub now because the Locals can't behave. EARLEY, dull, soulless area with lots of 'Mr. Average' ugly 1960's housing, neatly cut front lawns and HP cars (check out 'Mr. Clean' by 'The Jam'), and full of students who just think that Reading is the nearest shopping convenience to their University. EAST READING/NEWTOWN, its where you go to buy your coke. Full of 'Dodgy Characters' that would chiv you up without a second thought. WEST READING (see east Reading) and its where you go for seedy late night entertainment after you've been kicked out of the pubs. The Oxford Road probably the most interesting road in Reading, although you wouldn't want to live there. But for reasons that i can't explain, i like living in Reading.

:lol:

Great thread by the way rb, couldn't agree more. If you weren't brought up in RG3, you can fukk off basically.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 25 Nov 2010 20:35

Oh West Reading (oh West Reading), is wonderful (is wonderful), oh West Reading is wonderful, its full of tits, and fanny, and Royals, oh West Reading is wonderful!

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 25 Nov 2010 21:06

Does the West Reading Laundry still exist?

124 posts