Reading FC was a West Reading club
The forum for discussion on the team, the management, and matches.

124 posts   •   Page 2 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
User avatar
Bandini
Hob Nob Super-Addict
 
Posts: 19611
Joined: 03 Sep 2010 16:01
Location: I think "self-indulgent" is a pejorative term.

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Bandini » 18 Nov 2010 15:19

readingbedding wrote:We moved to the Madejski, then the suburbs became interested.

But in my heart RFC will remain a West Reading club.


Spot on, r-bedz.

User avatar
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 9055
Joined: 19 Jan 2005 19:03
Location: ARREST RAY ILSLEY.

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by floyd__streete » 18 Nov 2010 15:29

handbags_harris wrote:And those with more knowledge of the South West Essex area than you will know that there is also a Rainham there :P

West Reading > East Reading.


Well, who would give a monkey's about South West Essex or indeed Essex generally? Tedious county, precious little to interest anyone there. The accents in that part of the world make someone from Tilehurst sound like Peter Ustinov.

East Reading = Daimler
West Reading = Trabant
Last edited by floyd__streete on 18 Nov 2010 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 8757
Joined: 06 Dec 2005 22:10
Location: cutting them all away for four runs

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by readingbedding » 18 Nov 2010 15:30

Again, nothing wrong with that.

Missing the whole point.

Rainham Dagger
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 08 May 2004 11:18
Location: Back in Sunny Daggers

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Rainham Dagger » 18 Nov 2010 15:45

floyd__streete wrote:
Rainham Dagger wrote:If your family going back several generations were all Geordies, Brummies, Cornish whatever - you can kind of understand a bit of local pride - but to get this coming from someone from Reading is LOLaughable. And to then further split it out by a kind of "my bland suburb of a bland town is better than yours" is, well :|


A Medway-based Dagenham fan slagging off the town of Reading :lol:.

FTR Dagenham is a sh!thole, Rainham is a sh!thole - the difference is people here know it.

Oh and :lol: at your geography.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 5878
Joined: 20 Jan 2008 11:18
Location: Reading

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Nov 2010 15:47

What places would you consider East Reading or West Reading?

What about North Reading/South Reading?

User avatar
Bandini
Hob Nob Super-Addict
 
Posts: 19611
Joined: 03 Sep 2010 16:01
Location: I think "self-indulgent" is a pejorative term.

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Bandini » 18 Nov 2010 15:48

LoyalRoyalFan wrote:
What about North Reading/South Reading?


They can both fukk off.

User avatar
Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 07:45
Location: location location

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 15:53

When the bulldozers finally moved into Elm Park a little piece of me died.

I'd take Elm Park back any day of the week over our current stadium.


User avatar
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict
 
Posts: 38343
Joined: 04 Aug 2006 15:29
Location: coming straight outa crowthorne

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2010 16:04

agreed


but even if it meant never being in th etop flight, and spending the rest of our existence bouncing around between 3rd/4th flight?

User avatar
Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 07:45
Location: location location

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 16:11

brendywendy wrote:agreed


but even if it meant never being in th etop flight, and spending the rest of our existence bouncing around between 3rd/4th flight?

It's a very personal thing but, on reflection, yes - I enjoyed football more then.

User avatar
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict
 
Posts: 13157
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:00
Location: I told you so.....

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Hoop Blah » 18 Nov 2010 16:20

Royal With Cheese wrote:
brendywendy wrote:agreed


but even if it meant never being in th etop flight, and spending the rest of our existence bouncing around between 3rd/4th flight?

It's a very personal thing but, on reflection, yes - I enjoyed football more then.


Isn't that just because you actually used to go to games in those days?

I agree by the way. It's not the same going to the Madejski and for all the success we've had I'd not miss it and would've been happy continuing at Elm Park without a lot of these 'new plastics' we have following us these days.

User avatar
Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 07:45
Location: location location

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Nov 2010 16:29

Hoop Blah wrote:
Royal With Cheese wrote:
brendywendy wrote:agreed


but even if it meant never being in th etop flight, and spending the rest of our existence bouncing around between 3rd/4th flight?

It's a very personal thing but, on reflection, yes - I enjoyed football more then.


Isn't that just because you actually used to go to games in those days?

I agree by the way. It's not the same going to the Madejski and for all the success we've had I'd not miss it and would've been happy continuing at Elm Park without a lot of these 'new plastics' we have following us these days.

I'm not sure if I would have moved away so readily if Elm Park was still there. It certainly made the process of hopping over the Irish Sea a bit easier.

It's also the time in my life I remember the fondest. Young free and single, a good bunch of buddies, company car and a decent fuel allowance back in the days where you weren't crucified by the tax man. I had a ball!

User avatar
Z175
Hob Nob Regular
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 19 Jul 2004 18:52
Location: All time championship championes

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Z175 » 18 Nov 2010 16:52

LoyalRoyalFan wrote:What places would you consider East Reading or West Reading?

What about North Reading/South Reading?


Heres a map to help you understand the complex geography of this great metropolis.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/images/Whats_ ... oliday.gif

And is it intentional that the South area is RFC blue and the pseudo-oxfordshire north is put in yellow?

But heres one with West reading in blue - for our loyal locals
http://www.reading.gov.uk/Images/Health ... mareas.gif

As for your Earleys and Winnersh etc - well they're in Wokingham nowadays. Why don't you F*** OFF and go watch Wokingham & Emmbrook FC?

Winnershroyal
Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: 25 Sep 2010 20:15

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Winnershroyal » 18 Nov 2010 17:10

Z175 wrote:
LoyalRoyalFan wrote:What places would you consider East Reading or West Reading?

What about North Reading/South Reading?


Heres a map to help you understand the complex geography of this great metropolis.
http://www.reading.gov.uk/images/Whats_ ... oliday.gif

And is it intentional that the South area is RFC blue and the pseudo-oxfordshire north is put in yellow?

But heres one with West reading in blue - for our loyal locals
http://www.reading.gov.uk/Images/Health ... mareas.gif

As for your Earleys and Winnersh etc - well they're in Wokingham nowadays. Why don't you F*** OFF and go watch Wokingham & Emmbrook FC?


Better class of mong.

User avatar
strap
Hob Nob Regular
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 09:06
Location: Gainsford End

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by strap » 18 Nov 2010 17:19

floyd__streete wrote:Well, who would give a monkey's about South West Essex or indeed Essex generally? Tedious county, precious little to interest anyone there.


Oi! Floyd! NO!!! You're having a laugh mate! North Essex is the business son!

Mintymurray
Member
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 17 Sep 2004 14:30
Location: Sunny Spain

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Mintymurray » 18 Nov 2010 17:47

What the! I have lived all over the world, never in West Reading. I believe there was little part of it though that was mine. My turf, my concrete steps, my familiar faces, my southbank. I have never lived anywhere that matches the emotion of my southbank. The new house will never be home, but then my team play there so that´s where we go.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 5878
Joined: 20 Jan 2008 11:18
Location: Reading

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Nov 2010 19:43

North Reading!

User avatar
SLAMMED
Hob Nob Super-Addict
 
Posts: 25949
Joined: 19 May 2008 16:12
Location: Let's leave before the lights come on

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by SLAMMED » 18 Nov 2010 20:18

Legoland?

User avatar
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict
 
Posts: 9055
Joined: 19 Jan 2005 19:03
Location: ARREST RAY ILSLEY.

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by floyd__streete » 18 Nov 2010 20:27

Rainham Dagger wrote:FTR Dagenham is a sh!thole, Rainham is a sh!thole - the difference is people here know it.

Oh and :lol: at your geography.


LOL @ living in the second best and second most famous place called Rainham.

How very British of you by the way: "oh, where I live is a shithole but at least I know it is a shithole". I expect that you also crack up when someone farts in a queue.

strap wrote:
floyd__streete wrote:Well, who would give a monkey's about South West Essex or indeed Essex generally? Tedious county, precious little to interest anyone there.


Oi! Floyd! NO!!! You're having a laugh mate! North Essex is the business son!


Seems a bit Birds of a Feather for my liking, Strappers, but who am I to argue with one of the Elders of RFC?

User avatar
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
 
Posts: 37542
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 13:43
Location: Playing spot the pc*nt on HNA?

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by Ian Royal » 18 Nov 2010 20:49

dunno about east or west reading, but Theale was a bit shit.

oldebiscuit
Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 22:07

Re: Reading FC was a West Reading club

by oldebiscuit » 18 Nov 2010 22:31

readingbedding wrote:Indeed, I would also say that West Reading is the heartbeat of the whole town.

RFC will always be a West Reading club to me...


Wasn't Reading FC founded after a meeting in Bridge street (North Reading), with the first games being played at Reading Recreation Park (Courages sports ground at Coley Park), followed by games being payed at Hills Meadow, Caversham? Its not exactley West Reading.

PS as someone that was born and bred in Reading (West actually), i have to admit that the whole Town is a grey, un-inspiring and not very attractive, being the sort of place that you wouldn't visit unless you had some business here or a relative to visit. All the areas have a few nice spots, ( The Warren, Oak Tree Road, The University area etc.) but generally not one suburb is much better than another. There seems to be a lot of serious crime and 'No Go Areas' in CAVERSHAM, but nice restaurants. In TILEHURST there is a lot of, but less serious crime, but not a decent restaurant to be found (except Indian), and its where lots of Reading players used to live in the days when they earned ordinary money. SOUTHCOTE and COLEY just seem to be unattractive Council Estates. WOODLEY is full of 'Wannabee Gangsters'/Village Idiots' and no decent venues. WHITLEY, not even a pub now because the Locals can't behave. EARLEY, dull, soulless area with lots of 'Mr. Average' ugly 1960's housing, neatly cut front lawns and HP cars (check out 'Mr. Clean' by 'The Jam'), and full of students who just think that Reading is the nearest shopping convenience to their University. EAST READING/NEWTOWN, its where you go to buy your coke. Full of 'Dodgy Characters' that would chiv you up without a second thought. WEST READING (see east Reading) and its where you go for seedy late night entertainment after you've been kicked out of the pubs. The Oxford Road probably the most interesting road in Reading, although you wouldn't want to live there. But for reasons that i can't explain, i like living in Reading.

  Previous   Next
124 posts   •   Page 2 of 7   •   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

It is currently 19 Dec 2014 05:39