Alex McCarthy No.1

179 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Alex McCarthy No.1

by Ian Royal » 14 Mar 2011 13:45

The lad's doing well and I think we could afford to lose Fed if we had to now.

But he will make mistakes over an extended period and let in goals he ought not to. It's just the way it's gonna be as a relatively inexperienced and young keeper.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2011 16:12

He also looks to roll the ball out to the fullbacks on occasion...which makes a pleasant change from the kick-fest of recent times...

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 Mar 2011 16:20

McCarthy was outstanding at Eastlands. Very impressive display. He was so assured, came and collected numerous crosses and corners. Got his body in the way of a number of shots and his kicking was accurate too.

He even managed to get a hand to Richards bullet header, but wasn't able to keep it out.

He seemed a little nervous in his first couple of games, kicking the ball out in to touch a few times. But he is really growing with every game and is looking like he really will be a top drawer keeper in the coming years.

For me, he has already done enough to keep the shirt and I would like to see him now given an extended run in the team to build up his confidence and gain match experience. I think it has taken him just 3 games to show that he is a better stopper than Feds. Sorry Feds.

McCarthy is now Reading's number one!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 14 Mar 2011 16:23

They both seem to be accomplished shot-stoppers, but for me McCarthy seems in control of his box a lot more than Feds.

Also, I can't get rid of the feeling that Federici is always just a few seconds away from a calamity - I don't have that feeling with McCarthy.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Mar 2011 17:13

Svlad Cjelli They both seem to be accomplished shot-stoppers, but for me McCarthy seems in control of his box a lot more than Feds.

Also, I can't get rid of the feeling that Federici is always just a few seconds away from a calamity - I don't have that feeling with McCarthy.

+1

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Mar 2011 17:21

Snowball
Svlad Cjelli They both seem to be accomplished shot-stoppers, but for me McCarthy seems in control of his box a lot more than Feds.

+1

Yes, watching the game yesterday I had the feeling that we have another Joe Hart on our hands. The keepers physical builds are very similar:

Hart:
Height 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)[1]

McCarthy:
Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 14 Mar 2011 17:35

Agreed that he's looked good in the two cup games, but he was very shakey at Palace (maybe still nerves I guess), and seemed to make quite a few odd decisions/ late decisions. But he does look like a prospect for sure.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 14 Mar 2011 17:44

mr_number Agreed that he's looked good in the two cup games, but he was very shakey at Palace (maybe still nerves I guess), and seemed to make quite a few odd decisions/ late decisions. But he does look like a prospect for sure.

That's because he had Matt Mills and Ivar Ingimarsson in front of him who couldn't defend for toffee. It's been an absolute god send those 2 players getting injured as Zurab is outstanding and Gunnarson is another who gets the ball on the deck and passes it. It's a shame it's taken injuries for the actual "footballers" to get into the side but I'm certainly not complaining now!

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 14 Mar 2011 17:55

Same. If there really is top flight interest in Federici we'd do well to cash in this summer. Especially if losing him means not losing someone else that we will struggle to replace.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 14 Mar 2011 17:57

seahawk10
Snowball

+1

Yes, watching the game yesterday I had the feeling that we have another Joe Hart on our hands. The keepers physical builds are very similar:

Hart:
Height 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)[1]

McCarthy:
Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)

At one point the northern monkey commentator on ESPN claimed he wasn't the tallest of keepers when he managed to stretch out an arm and tip the ball over. You'd hope they'd do a little research when they see the team sheets.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2011 18:25

He looks an absolute natural. I think he could go a long way in his career. Feds will struggle to regain the shirt.

bagman

by bagman » 14 Mar 2011 18:52

Considering he has had a different back 4 in almost all his 1st team games I think he has been brilliant. All young goal keepers will make mistakes, so for once be tolerant because I believe we have a real gem on our hands !

fruits

by fruits » 14 Mar 2011 19:22

bagman Considering he has had a different back 4 in almost all his 1st team games I think he has been brilliant. All young goal keepers will make mistakes, so for once be tolerant because I believe we have a real gem on our hands !

Great prospect,commands his area, great positional sense and confidence. If he is n´t sold could be our greatest keeper ever.
Fedders has got a battle royal on his hands to be nº1 again.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Mar 2011 19:26

PEARCEY He looks an absolute natural. I think he could go a long way in his career. Feds will struggle to regain the shirt.

Nah, he'll have it back as soon as McCarty fook something up and you lot are all on here going "it's too soon for the lad, why is McDermott playing him when we've got an international on the bench?" etc etc

He's done well in the games that I've seen although he can't really kick properly.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2011 19:29

Maguire
PEARCEY He looks an absolute natural. I think he could go a long way in his career. Feds will struggle to regain the shirt.

Nah, he'll have it back as soon as McCarty fook something up and you lot are all on here going "it's too soon for the lad, why is McDermott playing him when we've got an international on the bench?" etc etc

He's done well in the games that I've seen although he can't really kick properly.

I like the "you lot" reference. This from someone who slagged off Shane Long I seem to recall Mags. Selective memory Mr Maguire?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Mar 2011 19:31

PEARCEY
Maguire

I like the "you lot" reference. This from someone who slagged off Shane Long I seem to recall Mags. Selective memory Mr Maguire?

What's Shane Long got to do with a thread about Alex McCarthy?

I am unwavering in my dislike of Long - no fickleness here. Sell him ASAP i say.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2011 19:41

In answer to the question you are inferring fickleness attributable to the likes of myself although if you read the threads on Long, Kebe, Pearce etc you will see I have defended these players consistently in the past. You clearly don't like Long and are critical of him which really wouldn't be much different from some on here criticising McCarthy. You are expressing an opinion on players just like others do. Can't see the difference myself.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 14 Mar 2011 19:46

Think McCarthy looks great and I would back him to have an even greater career than his father Mick.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Mar 2011 20:10

PEARCEY In answer to the question you are inferring fickleness attributable to the likes of myself although if you read the threads on Long, Kebe, Pearce etc you will see I have defended these players consistently in the past. You clearly don't like Long and are critical of him which really wouldn't be much different from some on here criticising McCarthy. You are expressing an opinion on players just like others do. Can't see the difference myself.

I didn't really mean it personally PEARCEY :!: - "you lot" just meant this board at large, which has amply demonstrated that its collective opinion shifts like the wind depending on what happens each Saturday afternoon.

The point is that he's had a couple of decent high-profile games and suddenly he's being tipped for an England cap, nailed on as No 1 for the foreseeable future etc etc. The moment he has a poor game (and he will, because he's yougn and human), the very same people will be calling for him to be dropped.

Bit of perspective please, Hob Nob.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2011 20:12

Fair enough.

179 posts