Back from the Game (or Watching TV) Leeds Away

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Back from the Game (or Watching TV) Leeds Away

by Snowball » 23 Apr 2011 00:28

Going away to Forest and Leeds and getting 4 points is absolutely IMMENSE
and a credit to the team and management.

We looked flat tonight and really seemed to miss Jimmy (I mean mentally as well as the actuality)

MoM was McCarthy with some VG saves and a couple of horror moments, but he/we got lucky
when he made his partial mistakes. As well as being a presence, great at coming for the ball,
and shot-stopping, he also seems lucky.

Karacan and Griff after that.

HRK looked reasonable for 30 minutes but neither winger sparkled tonight and we struggled for service up front.

Manset again looked a handful and I think he's going to be a VERY good player next season.

Church was anonymous when he came on.

earleyroyal

Re: Back from the Game (or Watching TV) Leeds Away

by earleyroyal » 23 Apr 2011 02:05

Haven't got to many games this season due to university 'commitments' but have followed at a distance and decided to make the trip, unsurprisingly this coincided with the end of the amazing winning run. Leeds obviously played a fairly effective pressing game which drove us in the direction of hoofball, which was a little frustrating as we were clearly capable of much more composed passing even in a game when we were seemingly far from our best; maybe someone like Howard who has the ability to keep the ball well could've played in place of Hunt who was peripheral. That said, we weren't exactly battered by Leeds. Thought the first half was fairly even although they had the better chances, the second half was more one-sided but it didn't need a string of wonder saves by McCarthy to keep Leeds at bay (though it was of course a very good performance by him). It was obviously a difficult game for some players to get into and Karacan in particular seemed a bit disappointing, especially compared with a solid performance by Leigertwood, but overall it was far from a disgraceful away performance against a good and physical team in a potentially intimidating atmosphere. Some of the criticism on here (and some of the frustration in the stands after misplaced passes etc) seems a bit extreme. Excellent atmosphere in the stands although I doubt it filtered through on Sky.

I guess the only worry from today is that a strong reliance on Kebe and Long seemed pretty obvious - Long was a constant threat up front and we looked for him all the time, and we lacked dangerous wide play in a game where Kebe's ability to beat his man could've made a huge difference. I imagine that losing those two in the summer might expose an over-reliance on them, but those of you who have seen more games would be better placed to judge. Hopefully we will smash Cardiff to pieces in the semis and then beat anyone else in the final, and not have to worry about that.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 23 Apr 2011 03:01

Taking a point away at Elland Rd isn't to be sniffed at, they haven't lost at home since October. Happy with the result as they looked a tidy outfit playing 5 across the middle and stiffling us for long periods. We missed Kebe and his pace on the wing tonight defiantly. McCarthy kept us in it with 4 great saves. In the last 15 it opened up and I thought we might grab a late goal but it wasn't to be. Loving Leigertwood's never say die attitude, Hating the jumped up little pre pubescent stewards.
Was also a shame to see 2 lads dragged out at half time by the Police for what looked like nothing in particular but being boisterous and having a laugh. Hopefully similar halftime concourse action and singing (minus the arrests) will be seen at Cov.

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 23 Apr 2011 03:28

BenReadingFC Was also a shame to see 2 lads dragged out at half time by the Police for what looked like nothing in particular but being boisterous and having a laugh. Hopefully similar halftime concourse action and singing (minus the arrests) will be seen at Cov.
I know for sure that one has been released with no charges whatsoever - had nothing to keep him in for! Have a video of the second guy being taken away. Not really sure what all the fuss was about, although I can't wait to see how the pictures and videos come out that the police took :D

EPR

by EPR » 23 Apr 2011 06:55

The police looked like they were taking close up stills of anyone who stood up, however momentarily, and the two of them with handycams filming anyone who started a chant going. Poor guy sat near me could hardly see a thing with a group of tangos and police blocking his view (ironically all stood up of course).

I just felt it made for a horrible atmosphere; I can't imagine wanting to take young children to an away game when you're being treated with such a air of suspicion.

I sincerely hope the scale of the police surveillance operation aimed at Reading fans yesterday (although to be fair they did spend quite a while filming Leeds fans as well) was somehow justified for whatever reason, because if it wasn't, then it was absolutely disgraceful.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 23 Apr 2011 07:03

Just got in. Not sure, but I don't think that game was very much fun.

Match entertainment - 3/10
Pie - 2/10 for burning me
Facilities - 7/10, very nice seated area in the concourse made me feel as I did in a college refectory
Paps/Pauli Beef - 1/10, shared a taxi before St Pauli bottled it and ran away
Papes' mum - 10, very nice lady who very plainly loves her son dearly
HNA spotteds rating - 6/10, got a look at the back of Handbags' head in Leeds centre
Leeds rating - 2/10, still a grim-faced city with horrible pubs, didn't even get to check out the emo J.L.b8 in Hyde Park

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Apr 2011 07:05

In principle a point at ER is VG. PErformance wasn't great in evry dept though. My MoM - Griff. Leigertwood had a poor game (2nd half mainly), certainly by his standards. HRK faded badly - after just 25 mins! Most players out-muscled and sometimes simply outpaced. Seems like some players need a rest in time for the play-offs.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Apr 2011 07:47

Man Friday In principle a point at ER is VG. PErformance wasn't great in evry dept though. My MoM - Griff. Leigertwood had a poor game (2nd half mainly), certainly by his standards. HRK faded badly - after just 25 mins! Most players out-muscled and sometimes simply outpaced. Seems like some players need a rest in time for the play-offs.

No Kebe = no forward threat, very diappointing. Good solid performance defensively and all of us would have taken point here if offered a month or two ago so just goes to show what Reading have actually achieved in those months that most of us are hacked off by only getting a point and not being impressed with the attacking appearance.

3 games left, let's hope - if the miracle does not happen for 2nd - that we can get 3rd or 4th place, and therefore the home leg last, in the PO semis....

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Apr 2011 08:58

Wanted three points but will take the point against a well organised Leeds team who shut down our attacking options very very quickly. Livermore should have been shown a second yellow and been sent off before half time. We missed Kebe with Alex McCarthy between the posts superb.......... how long can we keep him this kid is a real prospect?

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 23 Apr 2011 09:28

I'm not just saying this because he's my favourite player, but I agree with you who said we missed Kebe.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Apr 2011 09:29

Was noting to badger finger that Leeds players all look evil. It's almost as if putting on the white shirt sends them to the dark side.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 23 Apr 2011 09:36

(watched on TV)

Effective gameplan from Leeds and boy did it work, we couldn't get forward at all and just had to hope McCarthy could reach someone when we knocked it up to him. Missing Kebe was clearly a blow and you can see why McDermott didn't tell anyone - Robson-Kanu simply isn't good enough at this level. McAnuff was pretty poor, he's clearly more comfortable cutting inside from the left. Mills and Khizanishvili were totally opposite - Khiz has the time and composure to pick a decent pass (apart from the one which led to McCarthy's heart-in-mouth moment) whereas anything Mills tried just ended up for a throw-in or goalkick. Though the same could be said of most of our team. Livermore should have been off and I thought Naylor should have been too after dragging back Long about 2 minutes after getting a yellow. The ref seemed to let a lot of nudges and pushes go all evening from a very physical Leeds side, and clearly we were getting wound up by it. Sadly that's auto-promo done, I can't see Norwich dropping 4 points now (although I can definitely see Cardiff dropping 5), and as others have noted, the only team in the top 9 we've beaten is Burnley, so we're going to have to break new ground to get up to the promised land.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Apr 2011 09:41

chilipepper91 (watched on TV)

Effective gameplan from Leeds and boy did it work, we couldn't get forward at all and just had to hope McCarthy could reach someone when we knocked it up to him. Missing Kebe was clearly a blow and you can see why McDermott didn't tell anyone - Robson-Kanu simply isn't good enough at this level. McAnuff was pretty poor, he's clearly more comfortable cutting inside from the left. Mills and Khizanishvili were totally opposite - Khiz has the time and composure to pick a decent pass (apart from the one which led to McCarthy's heart-in-mouth moment) whereas anything Mills tried just ended up for a throw-in or goalkick. Though the same could be said of most of our team. Livermore should have been off and I thought Naylor should have been too after dragging back Long about 2 minutes after getting a yellow. The ref seemed to let a lot of nudges and pushes go all evening from a very physical Leeds side, and clearly we were getting wound up by it. Sadly that's auto-promo done, I can't see Norwich dropping 4 points now (although I can definitely see Cardiff dropping 5), and as others have noted, the only team in the top 9 we've beaten is Burnley, so we're going to have to break new ground to get up to the promised land.

Completely agree. The ref let Leeds do what they wanted. Grayson had clearly told them to rough us up. It worked. Hope kebe stays fit for the run in.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 23 Apr 2011 09:47

Think thats over-stating it a little Archie. The ref probably gave both Livermore and Naylor one last chance which I think was right. Both committed two fouls that were both yellow card offences so strictly they should both have walked...but refs often give players a final warning and one last chance...and I agree with that.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Apr 2011 10:03

Very good point.

Happy.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 23 Apr 2011 10:13

I thought Long played as if he was carrying a knock - did his best but not quite as spirited and quick as usual. Defenders were thuggish to him from the off and by and large we were outmuscled and outfought and didn't look like winning.

Kebe's absence was immense - HRK and Church and possibly Manset too are about 3 divisions lower than Kebe in class and effect.

Still, taking the long view, 40 years ago I would have been amazed to feel disappointed at just getting a point at Elland Rd!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 23 Apr 2011 10:15

Snowball Going away to Forest and Leeds and getting 4 points is absolutely IMMENSE
and a credit to the team and management.

We looked flat tonight and really seemed to miss Jimmy (I mean mentally as well as the actuality)

MoM was McCarthy with some VG saves and a couple of horror moments, but he/we got lucky
when he made his partial mistakes. As well as being a presence, great at coming for the ball,
and shot-stopping, he also seems lucky.

Karacan and Griff after that.

HRK looked reasonable for 30 minutes but neither winger sparkled tonight and we struggled for service up front.

Manset again looked a handful and I think he's going to be a VERY good player next season.

Church was anonymous when he came on.

Can't disagree with all that.

Surprised no one has mentioned how bad Jobi's distribution was.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 23 Apr 2011 10:28

A draw at Leeds is a decent result but for our dreams of automatic promotion we probably needed a win. Although I would pay due credit to Leeds for their pressing game I thought for the first time for a while we played with a little bit of caution or, perhaps more accurately, a lot of respect to our opponents.

Goalkeeper and defence were pretty sound apart from a few scares but going forward we couldn't get anything going or keep the ball and this created more pressure than we should have needed to withstand. Midfield were off colour and Ledge was uncharacteristically poor. Out wide I thought Jobi was disappointing as we rely on him in the absence of Kebe and HRK seemed to see little of the ball and was fairly anonymous. Up front Hunt looked off the pace for some reason and we couldn't get Long in the game.

McCarthy deserved his MoM Award although he got lucky a couple of times too but also though Zurab had a good game and as you would expect the whole team worked their socks off.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 23 Apr 2011 10:31

An away performance like that in a play-off first leg would suit me, as I'd back us to beat the opposition back at our turf. In that sense, it was a good result but it probably ends our auto hopes.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 23 Apr 2011 10:53

chilipepper91 and as others have noted, the only team in the top 9 we've beaten is Burnley, so we're going to have to break new ground to get up to the promised land.

*pedant mode*

And Forest

THought that was the worst we've played in a long long time, but would have taken a draw and clean sheet at Elland Road three months ago