Royals on the Box/Internet Thread

3140 posts
Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading on Sky

by Jackson Corner » 22 Jun 2017 23:21

East Grinstead Royal I think tidus_m2 called it right - it's all about maximising the TV audience, why would Sky care about being fair or giving clubs equal coverage? They've made it clear from week 1 that Villa, Leeds and Sunderland are where their priorities lie. We will get coverage when we play one of those (maybe) but unless we are in the early pacesetters, don't expect to be watching us live from your armchair too often!

We were in the top six all season and hardly got on TV. At least we are spared the bore fest of QPR away.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reading on Sky

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jun 2017 02:11

This is what I was referring to I think.

http://www.cityam.com/206210/leeds-unit ... -yorkshire

Obviously it's outdated but at the time we averaged 416,000 views per televised game, second to only Leeds (477,000) that are currently in our division.

Our average would be higher now I'd imagine, because of the playoffs.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Royals on the Box/Internet Thread

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2017 08:50

Reading's game at Loftus road on 5 August will be one of 8 games streamed on iFollow.

So great news there if you're not in the UK (and are subscribed).

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Jun 2017 18:34

Sutekh Reading's game at Loftus road on 5 August will be one of 8 games streamed on iFollow.

My understanding was that all games would be on iFollow. Have I been lied to...again?

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 26 Jun 2017 19:03

Emmer Green Royal
LightwaterRoyal Lived in Spain my whole life and had to put up with reading the BBC Sport live score updates. Move to Scotland and they make this available for everyone but UK residents. Typical

Bring on indyref2!

Would probably blindly vote yes just to get the live games, but my job would end up moving me back to England if they did get independence.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jun 2017 19:15

Sutekh Reading's game at Loftus road on 5 August will be one of 8 games streamed on iFollow.

I was under the impression every game was available? :?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Jun 2017 22:26

CountryRoyal

The same!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jun 2017 00:23

Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal

The same!

Yeah, here we go.

BBC Sport The English Football League is to provide live streaming of every non-televised game to overseas supporters from the 2017-18 season onwards.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39797400

Is it 8 football league games or specifically championship? If the later then there are 3 sky games, which makes sense, but then as far as my very limited mathematical ability allow, that's still missing one.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2017 08:17

Jagermesiter1871

My understanding was that all games would be on iFollow. Have I been lied to...again?

The wording of Sutekh's post is a bit confusing.

There are 9 games taking place at 15:00 on 5th August. One game has been selected for international broadcast so won't be on iFollow, the other 8 will be shown live on iFollow.

So it refers to the 8 non-televised Championship 15:00 kick offs on that day, not 8 of our games over the course of the season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Jun 2017 08:46

That's how I read it tbf, but couldn't work out why there weren't 9 games on

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Jun 2017 09:00

Have any UK nobbers figured out what sort of setup it requires - what proxy works? Do you need a foreign bank account/address?

Guess it may be a case of waiting until the first game of the season to see what works?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Jun 2017 10:33

Jagermesiter1871 Have any UK nobbers figured out what sort of setup it requires - what proxy works? Do you need a foreign bank account/address?

Guess it may be a case of waiting until the first game of the season to see what works?

So - I logged on to the Reading website using a fairly standard proxy and was able to purchase the international subscription (which allows streaming) using a UK bank account and UK address.

I've kind of gambled here, because there's the off chance that ifollow have managed to protect their servers from proxies - however I doubt they've got a sophisticated enough system for that.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Jun 2017 18:01

winchester_royal
Jagermesiter1871 Have any UK nobbers figured out what sort of setup it requires - what proxy works? Do you need a foreign bank account/address?

So - I logged on to the Reading website using a fairly standard proxy and was able to purchase the international subscription (which allows streaming) using a UK bank account and UK address.

I've kind of gambled here, because there's the off chance that ifollow have managed to protect their servers from proxies - however I doubt they've got a sophisticated enough system for that.

Fingers crossed it works! Let us know how it goes for you buddy.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 27 Jun 2017 18:20

#Pray4Winch

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 27 Jun 2017 21:35

winchester_royal

Very tempted to sign up on the basis I'm abroad a reasonable amount. Contacted iFollow to clarify whether I can sign up for overseas account to watch games abroad and still use the same account for highlights etc in UK rather than have to buy again. Their reply was a less than useful copy & paste of a press release telling me everything I already knew without answering my question. I guess I'll just have to take a chance

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jun 2017 16:26

Has iFollow completely replaced Player then? Went on to log in to my player account to see interview with the new kid and nothing works.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2017 08:59

CountryRoyal Has iFollow completely replaced Player then? Went on to log in to my player account to see interview with the new kid and nothing works.

Player is dead. It no longer functions. It is defunct. It is an ex-video/commentary playing system. It has fallen off it's perch and joined the choir invisible. In fact it wouldn't "voom" if you put 20,000,000 volts through it let alone the meagre power capacity of most laptops.

This is what the club says on it's OS

"iFollow is our new audio/video subscription service.

This replaces the previous platform PlayerHD as of June 2017.

It allows subscribers to watch videos of exclusive interviews, features and match highlights, as well as listening to live audio commentary of every first-team fixture.

UK-based subscribers will be able to watch full match replays the day after our games, while international subscribers will be able to watch live streams of our matches.
"

So the remaining obvious question....

What happens if I was subscribed to Player

All UK subscriber accounts were transferred to iFollow. Therefore if you were a UK subscriber you should have equivalent access under iFollow using your same login and password as used for Player

Due to legal restrictions however all non-UK accounts have not been migrated.

So basically if you were a

UK Monthly Subscriber then you will carry on under iFollow at the previous rate of £4.49 per month
    UK Annual Subscriber then you will carry on under iFollow until your subscription ends at which point you will have to actively renew
    International Monthly Subscriber then subscriptions will be cancelled and you have to actively renew
    International Annual Subscriber then subscriptions will be cancelled with immediate effect and you have to actively renew. Refunds will be issued on a pro-rata basis to those with entitlement remaining

The above and more at

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/ifollow/what-is-ifollow/

I've just tried logging in and there are interviews with Paul McShane, Pelle Clement, Steven Reid and Joey van den Berg and when I try clicking on any of them the screen just goes blank and nothing happens so there must be something not quite right with it currently.

Anyone able to get any of the interviews working?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jun 2017 10:19

Sutekh
CountryRoyal Has iFollow completely replaced Player then? Went on to log in to my player account to see interview with the new kid and nothing works.

Player is dead. It no longer functions. It is defunct. It is an ex-video/commentary playing system. It has fallen off it's perch and joined the choir invisible. In fact it wouldn't "voom" if you put 20,000,000 volts through it let alone the meagre power capacity of most laptops.

Did anyone else read the above in a John Cleese-esque Dead PArrot Monty Python sketch voice?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jun 2017 10:30

Sutekh

Anyone able to get any of the interviews working?

You may have to re-register (for free for those interviews)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Jun 2017 11:18

Weird, I was a monthly subscriber but it seems my account hasn't been transferred. Won't recognise my username or password or anything.

Not really that bothered barely used it last year.

3140 posts