Thames Valley Royals

grey_squirrel

Re: Thames Valley Royals

by grey_squirrel » 13 May 2013 13:19

Had the merger ever happened, the name of the Club would in fact have been Thames Valley United. (TVR was opposed by the controlling Oxford United Board)

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 13 May 2013 19:25

Vic_Flange Like people have touched on (oo-er) "we" would have played in a fabulous, all-seater stadium in Didcot.The capacity of this mecca? 10 000.

Anyway, when old Bob-Bob-Bob Maxwell got found out, the stadium (assuming he still owned "us" *) would have been one of his assets so thank God for Roger Smee who bought the club, even if he did turn in to a tit in the end before SJM saved us.

Maxwell drowned - suicide or murder and this is the place for that discussion - on 5 November 1991. Quickly after it was found out about him nicking a wee £400 million (yes, £400 million) from his employees pensions. That would have included the TVR pensions. SJM as we know bought us 1990, i.e. whilst Maxwell was still alive and on the nick.

All in all, I'm glad as we all are the Thames Valley Royals died before Maxwell did.

* Would I have gone to see the TVRs? Probably, but I cant see myself geting [as I do know] a Season Ticket.

Roger Smee gets overlooked a lot by fans today,but for me,we owe that man a lot,he saved reading Football Club,not Madejski,Pity Roger never had Madejski's wad.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 13 May 2013 19:38

Roger and Roy Tranter , Jim Brooks . Saved our Club. Roger bank rolled the high court etc.
Mr Waller and his gang where sunk . Waller was a very rich man . Tight crook from what,
I have heard.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 13 May 2013 19:53

Both Smee and Madejski were saviours of the Club but for very differing reasons and under very different circumstances but both had the same end game ambition; survival of Reading Football Club. It cannot be argued however that if Smee (and especailly his muscle man Brooks) had not done what they had done in 1983, then the case for Madejski would be irrelevant.

Waller bowed to Maxwell in a weak willed, subservient manner. Almost traitor-esque. I'm not saying he didn't care for the Club, he probably did in a lesser way, but Maxwell saw an easy target, ultimately also humiliating Waller in the process.

Remember it all like yesterday. Well done and thank you again Roger.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 May 2013 19:58

love to shake Rogers hand today wherever he is for saving our club. an old man now but forever in our hearts.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 May 2013 19:59

Still a local living, successful again, business man isn't he?

Pete10

by Pete10 » 13 May 2013 20:04

grey_squirrel Both Smee and Madejski were saviours of the Club but for very differing reasons and under very different circumstances but both had the same end game ambition; survival of Reading Football Club. It cannot be argued however that if Smee (and especailly his muscle man Brooks) had not done what they had done in 1983, then the case for Madejski would be irrelevant.

Waller bowed to Maxwell in a weak willed, subservient manner. Almost traitor-esque. I'm not saying he didn't care for the Club, he probably did in a lesser way, but Maxwell saw an easy target, ultimately also humiliating Waller in the process.

Waller was left a dead duck . He did not have the shares he claimed to have. Total and utter traitor. He lost interest when Jack Mansell failed ,
With promotion.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 13 May 2013 20:11

ZacNaloen Still a local living, successful again, business man isn't he?

Yes mate,he is now the Executive Chairman of Real Office PLC,I would say he has a bigger wad these days then he had then.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 13 May 2013 20:14

windermere_royal love to shake Rogers hand today wherever he is for saving our club. an old man now but forever in our hearts.

Less of the old man,he his my age :D :D :D

Pete10

by Pete10 » 13 May 2013 20:34

ankeny
windermere_royal love to shake Rogers hand today wherever he is for saving our club. an old man now but forever in our hearts.

Lol .

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 May 2013 20:52

ankeny

hes 62 , not old really in this modern age.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 13 May 2013 20:54

Pete10
grey_squirrel Both Smee and Madejski were saviours of the Club but for very differing reasons and under very different circumstances but both had the same end game ambition; survival of Reading Football Club. It cannot be argued however that if Smee (and especailly his muscle man Brooks) had not done what they had done in 1983, then the case for Madejski would be irrelevant.

Waller was left a dead duck . He did not have the shares he claimed to have. Total and utter traitor. He lost interest when Jack Mansell failed ,
With promotion.

And without Smee and Brooks recognising that, the very very important arguments continuing ad infinitum on POTS criteria would regretably not be occurring over and over and over and over......

:)

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 14 May 2013 17:37

Red If it happened today (and I realise it won't and can't) then I do wonder if Reading fans have it in them to do an AFC Wimbledon style build a new club from scratch. Possibly today they would (strength in numbers now) but in the early 80s the club would've just been allowed to die.
Run by STAR? - Not sure they are the right people to run a Football Club.

With the money raised we may as well invest in Reading Town and get them up the leagues.