Thames Valley Royals

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Thames Valley Royals

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Aug 2011 13:28

"In the spring of 1983 Oxford United had surely blown their promotion chance. The score from Belle Vue, Doncaster mattered little. The Teleprinter chattered away meaninglessly. Then suddenly the mood changes. David Coleman, not a man noted for his calmness, is on the verge of apoplexy. As the Reading result comes up (a no goals draw with Gillingham) he reports that he has sensational news concerning Reading and Oxford United. A teasing few minutes elapse while Coleman tells the armchair fans who has beaten who. And then the news: 'Reading and Oxford are to merge. The new club will be called the Thames Valley Royals' (TVR). So that was it. Reading were to be closed down. Reading Football Club would exist no more"......

Anyway we know how that turned out. :D

But what i want to know is, if it had gone through, what do you think would have become of TVR? Would the merged clubs had any more success on the pitch than RFC had had? Would local fans have abandoned TVR to support, say Reading Town? We see AFC Wimbledon in the football league this year for the first time, a club run by the fans and for the fans. What would the Madejski haters have to moan about then?

Discuss.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thames Valley Royals

by RobRoyal » 17 Aug 2011 13:31

Where were TVR supposed to have played? And how was that decision reached?

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 17 Aug 2011 13:33

RobRoyal Where were TVR supposed to have played?

I believe that Didcot was the proposal

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 17 Aug 2011 13:35

RobRoyal Where were TVR supposed to have played? And how was that decision reached?

Alternate Home games at Elm Park and the Manor Ground until a purpose built stadium was built in Didcot. or something.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 17 Aug 2011 13:35

I was born in 1983, so would never have become a Reading fan.

Probs be a Man Utd glory hunter or summit and life would be much sweeter.

Don't give a fcuk about TVR, not interested in life outside the Prem. Unless they made it to the Prem, in which case I would have adopted them as my local team and pretended I supported them all my life. Win-win.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Aug 2011 13:38

I would not have supported TVR.

Probably gone and supported Bracknell Town. :shock: :oops:

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 17 Aug 2011 13:39

Aubery Boyce
RobRoyal Where were TVR supposed to have played? And how was that decision reached?

Alternate Home games at Elm Park and the Manor Ground until a purpose built stadium was built in Didcot. or something.

Jesus what a mess.

I think that club would have died.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 17 Aug 2011 13:41

Would've been destined to failure as rather than commuting to Didcot people would've just gone to London to get their football fix.

If it happened today (and I realise it won't and can't) then I do wonder if Reading fans have it in them to do an AFC Wimbledon style build a new club from scratch. Possibly today they would (strength in numbers now) but in the early 80s the club would've just been allowed to die.

manny96

by manny96 » 17 Aug 2011 13:41

Good question. They were going to be based in Didcot weren't they?

I'd say that naturally the 'hardcore' on both sides, for want of a better word, would have abandoned 'Thames Valley Royals' out of principle. I think in principle there would have been a large enough base of predominatly middles class supporters, perhaps from the hinterlands to sustain such a club. It's not quite the same as Wimbledon because of the distance away to Milton Keynes.

This all went down pre-Hillsborough, Bradford, Heysel, Taylor etc. How would a new club (and presumably new stadium) have coped with the changes? How would the club cope at such an early stage with Maxwell's death? Not well I would argue although at Didcot, they'd have had the out-of-town stadium already.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Aug 2011 13:46

at last a thread on the team board worth reading

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Aug 2011 14:11

Looking back, I remember saying at the time that it would result in carnage on the terraces. There is no way that Oxford and Reading supporters could be integrated and end up supporting a hybrid club. Just not possible. I honestly do not know what I would have done withy my Saturdays had it gone ahead.

As to how the new club would have progressed is interesting. Shortly after the merger died, Oxford ended up in the top flight and won the Milk Cup at Wembley whereas we returned to Division 2 after 1 50 year absence. I suppose that it could be considered that the hybrid would have done quite well.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Aug 2011 14:19

Given what we know about Maxwell, I think TVR would have ended up going under. He would have sold Elm Park, rented somewhere at Didcot, and the proceeds would have dissipated. Maxwell was only interested in Reading for its assets: it's why business moguls are always after amalgamations.

As far as I can see, the preferred buyers at Plymouth are after the properties. Once they have them, it will actually suit them if the club itself--which has been made a separate business--folds. That villain Ridsdale is in on it somehow, too.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Aug 2011 14:30

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 17 Aug 2011 14:45

I would imagine the clubs would be like this :-

In March 1983, Oxford United club chairman Robert Maxwell proposed merging United with neighbours Reading to form a new club called the Thames Valley Royals, to play at Didcot. The merger ran into trouble as a result of fans of both clubs protesting against the decision. Ultimately, new Reading chairman Roger Smee failed to raise enough finance to guarantee the clubs' future and after a marathon 5 hour board meeting, Reading Chairman Frank Waller announced that a majority of the club's shareholders had indeed accepted the offer for their shares from Maxwell. Shareholder Roy Tranter was the only descenter but some share trickery by Waller has left the pro-merger group in the majority. Supporters groups petitions to the Football Association were accepted, but a little media attention was given to the Reading and Oxford fans in the media and local politicans were reluctant to go against the powerful Maxwell.

Thames Valley Royals started life in Division Three in Oxford United's position, with Reading FC having formally resigned their football league place in June 1983. Maidstone United were elected to the football league for the first time due to Reading's demise. The Royals enjoyed a superb debut season under manager Jim Smith with the playing squad comprising of a majority of legacy Oxford players, although the 36 goals from ex-Reading Trevor senior were the most in the football league that season.

As promised in the merger negotiations, the new club allocated half their home games to Reading's old Elm Park and the other half to the Manor Ground in Oxford. To begin with attendances dropped off significantly at Elm Park with a record low set in the forth game of the season v Scunthorpe Utd, when only 134 fans turned up. Attendances in Oxford actually grew throughout the season and by January Maxwell conceeded that the remaining home games would all be played at the Manor.

The following season the Royals returned to Reading for occasional matches but by now the Reading Supporters Club had formed a new amateur side out of a merger of local clubs from the Reading & District League. The new club was called Reading Town and it joined the inaugural Chiltonian League in 1984. Yet this initive lost round as the Thames Valley Royals enjoyed great success. Following a "half season ticket" inititive by Maxwell, over 10,000 fans gained the right to a season ticket the next season as they soared clear at the top of second tier. Royals were finally promoted to the top tier in May 1985 in front of 34,000 fans at Elm Park, a new record and Maxwell was hailed in blaze of blue and yellow as the Second Division trophy was paraded around both Oxford and Reading.

Jim Smith moved to QPR after the promotion and legendary ex-Reading player and manager Maurice Evans guided TVR to safety and Maxwell was to parade around the English League Cup as the Royals secured a 3-0 win over QPR in the final, the first major English title to head to Oxfordshire or Berkshire. Yet European football was never to venture to the Thames valley, as the Heysel era ban prevented the Royals from a European tour.

The Royals narrowly survived another two seasons in the top tier before their eventual relegation in 1988. This year did bring the second cup triumph however, as Luton were dispatched in the Simod Cup final. After relegation, Maxwell announced planning permission had finally been granted for the Maxwell Stadium in Didcot. Yet Maxwell had now bought Derby County and his intentions were clear when the cream of the Thames Valley squad was made to join County. Maxwell's sudden bankruptcy and death left the club in turmoil and insolvency protection was sought in 1991. Sadly the liabilities of the now complete 30,000 seater stadium in Didcot were too much and no one bought the club. Thames Valley Royals were liquidated in June 1991 after an illustrious 6 years.

The assets were sold off and a local Reading businessman was persuaded to buy the club's league place. Robert John Madejski had no interest in football but was outraged when supporters of rivals Aldershot, also recently liquidated, attempted to buy the place. Negotations took place with Reading Town chairman Roger Smee and eventually Reading Town were admitted to the new Division One in July 1992. Before the season kicked off the club had been renamed Reading FC. Yet the turmoil had hampered preperations and the club were relegated to Division Two at the end of the season.

The next year brought about a new era as player manager Mark McGhee guided Reading back into Division One and the following season lost out on premierleague football at wembley. Madejski eventually funded a new ground to the south of Reading, Maxwell's Didcot stadium having been demolished to make room for a super market.

The Madejski stadium witnessed a return to the Premierleague in 2006 and despite relegation continue to flourish in the second tier. Oxford fans formed a new non-league club which progressed up the leagues and won the conference national in 2010. The 2010/11 season thus witness both Reading and Oxford occupying a football league position for the first time since 1983.
Last edited by Z175 on 17 Aug 2011 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

manny96

by manny96 » 17 Aug 2011 14:52

As much as the supporters hate(d) one another, many football fans are also pretty fickle. With a bit of short term success, who knows? As much as football fans embody a community, the rivalry was a footballing and arbitrarily geographical one rather than a political one alla Rangers - Celtic. At least that's the way I see it but I'm not from either.

There's been enough of a drift of commuters and high tech industries into the Thames valley that in hindsight, perhaps a supporter base could have been formed. It wouldn't have been Oxford or Reading though.

I was speaking to a friend's boyfriend a while back who said he was an MK Dons fan. I laughed at him and berated him for supporting a non-entity of a football club (as you do). His response was just, "Well, I'm from Milton Keynes. Who else am I supposed to support? Chelsea?"

It'd be interesting to see a club with such a divide in its supporters though. I know Valladolid in Spain have two sets of Ultras -one left wing, the other right. If either gets bored of fighting the opposition, they fight each other.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Aug 2011 15:16

Red Would've been destined to failure as rather than commuting to Didcot people would've just gone to London to get their football fix.

If it happened today (and I realise it won't and can't) then I do wonder if Reading fans have it in them to do an AFC Wimbledon style build a new club from scratch. Possibly today they would (strength in numbers now) but in the early 80s the club would've just been allowed to die.

Why would they build a new club? They could just go along to Reading Town...

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 17 Aug 2011 15:26

TVRYF

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 17 Aug 2011 15:31

YateleyRoyal
Red Would've been destined to failure as rather than commuting to Didcot people would've just gone to London to get their football fix.

They were Lower Burghfield back then I think?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Aug 2011 15:37

indeed became Reading Town in 93

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Aug 2011 15:50

Z175
YateleyRoyal

They were Lower Burghfield back then I think?

OK, but in Red's post he said 'if it happened today', so I dont really care in they were Lower Burghfield before 1993.