Coming soon to a cinema near you - Robin Friday The Movie

190 posts
eddiegrundy

Re: Coming soon to a cinema near you - Robin Friday The Movi

by eddiegrundy » 19 Jun 2013 17:18

Here's a contemporaneous piece about Robin from the Topical Times Football Book 1978, as told by the great man to their reporter. There's no mention of drink or drugs of course, but it's probably closer to the truth than the film. Interesting that he claims the policeman kissed him back in that famous incident.

p.s. Sorry if it doesn't display properly - can't work out how to get it all in.
Last edited by eddiegrundy on 19 Jun 2013 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jun 2013 17:23

eddiegrundy Here's a contemporaneous piece about Robin from the Topical Times Football Book 1978, as told by the great man to their reporter. There's no mention of drink or drugs of course, but it's probably closer to the truth than the film. Interesting that he claims the policeman kissed him back in that famous incident.

p.s. Sorry if it doesn't display properly - can't work out how to get it all in.

Those links don't work at all

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 19 Jun 2013 17:38

taipeiroyal

by taipeiroyal » 19 Jun 2013 18:05

I was a teenager back when Friday was playing and saw a lot of the games he played in.
As I remember he was very skillful, but bandy legged. I used to copy his running style when I played football.
He also lacked pace which is why I don't think he would have succeeded in the top division.

The Tranmere game was a brilliant occasion, 10,000 for a midweek game and we won 5-0. what seems to have been forgotten was that John "Minty" Murray also scored a cracker that night from about 30 yards whereas Friday's was from about 25.
Back then, I used to go to away games on the supporters coach run by Colin Bishop with my mates. There was an old simpleton called "Henry" who always used to urge us "Shcarves down ladsh" whenever we had them up against the window. Paul Black would also always be on the coach as would some of the infamous "Jolly Porter" lot.
Anyway, we would often see the players leaving around the same time further up Norfolk road. Everyone would be dressed soberly, except Friday. I remember him having a suit with huge lapels and massive flares and a pair of bright red boots.
He was an individual and the fans loved him. We were all gutted when he moved to Cardiff for only about 35,000 quid.

I kept a scrap book of cuttings from the Chronicle and Evening Post which should still be knocking about in a loft somewhere back in the UK (I live in Taiwan now). I'll have to try and dig them up next time I'm back. Surely these papers still have records of the old papers...it would be good to see the reports of the time again.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jun 2013 13:31

taipeiroyal I was a teenager back when Friday was playing and saw a lot of the games he played in.
As I remember he was very skillful, but bandy legged. I used to copy his running style when I played football.
He also lacked pace which is why I don't think he would have succeeded in the top division.

The Tranmere game was a brilliant occasion, 10,000 for a midweek game and we won 5-0. what seems to have been forgotten was that John "Minty" Murray also scored a cracker that night from about 30 yards whereas Friday's was from about 25.
Back then, I used to go to away games on the supporters coach run by Colin Bishop with my mates. There was an old simpleton called "Henry" who always used to urge us "Shcarves down ladsh" whenever we had them up against the window. Paul Black would also always be on the coach as would some of the infamous "Jolly Porter" lot.
Anyway, we would often see the players leaving around the same time further up Norfolk road. Everyone would be dressed soberly, except Friday. I remember him having a suit with huge lapels and massive flares and a pair of bright red boots.
He was an individual and the fans loved him. We were all gutted when he moved to Cardiff for only about 35,000 quid.

I kept a scrap book of cuttings from the Chronicle and Evening Post which should still be knocking about in a loft somewhere back in the UK (I live in Taiwan now). I'll have to try and dig them up next time I'm back. Surely these papers still have records of the old papers...it would be good to see the reports of the time again.

I thought it was Mick Foster and Colin Bishop who used to go bezerk about the scarves. I know because my mates and I used to wind them up by making sure they were on full display. The shout used to be 'Get those f*cking scarves down'!

Good old Henry - the programme seller from the town end of Norfolk Road - did he migrate to Golden Goals? I think he used to live in sheltered accommodation near the town centre and RFC was his life. Used to wear a long blue and white scarf around his neck and a bobble hat. Rumour or urban myth had it that he was sadly eventually banned from travelling to away games on the supporters club coach after he unfortunately shat himself on a long journey. I'm now wondering whether he left Blackie 'that coat' in his will?!

Incidentally in my memories and those of many friends, 'Henry' was an absolutely integral part of Elm Park - a legend in his own right. Are any other 'oldies' on here able to give more details of his life story? I don't even know what his surname was.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 23 Nov 2014 11:32

BUMP.

Anyone got any news on this film? All seems to have gone pretty quiet.....

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 23 Nov 2014 13:25

Not even an entry on imdb yet but there is a trailer here
http://www.robinfriday-themovie.com/vision.html

Hope they get the club badge right in the film

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 23 Nov 2014 13:26

Time for some Super Furry Animals

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Nov 2014 18:42

taipeiroyal I was a teenager back when Friday was playing and saw a lot of the games he played in.

Similar views except that I don't think that lack of speed wouldn't have held Robin back - think of Teddy Sheringham.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Nov 2014 19:13

taipeiroyal - You probably already know it but The Greatest Football You Never Saw was largely a compendium of clippings from the EPs and RCs of the day.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 23 Nov 2014 19:41

harry Not even an entry on imdb yet but there is a trailer here
http://www.robinfriday-themovie.com/vision.html

Hope they get the club badge right in the film

Cheers, I'd already seen it though. I just hope the film is historically accurate and not ruined by the taffs lol.

TBM Why do 90% of Reading fans cream themselves over Robin Friday when most never saw him play.

As i've said before, my old man grew up with Robin and his brother (Tony) in Acton.......the stories i've heard about him don't paint him in a good light, thats for sure.

I dont get that first sentence tbh. Surely his character and legend, the stories about him and the fact not that many people saw him play is what makes him all the more fascinating?

I want to hear those stories though :wink:

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 23 Nov 2014 20:28

Couldn't think of anything worse. Would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch something on this bloke and his 80 yard overhead goal in front of 100,000 on the Southbank

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Nov 2014 21:57

A name from the past here:

http://robinfriday-themovie.15804.n7.na ... -td24.html

Colin Gunney!

Anyone else remember him?

A few more stories about RF as well.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Nov 2014 10:46

Sylvester Stallone between the sticks as Steve Death, based on his performance in Escape to Victotory.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 25 Nov 2014 12:01

The fact there has been virtually no footage of the film shown, and the fact we still don't know who any of the cast are going to be, suggests to me its nowhere near close to being finished.

But didnt they say filming had started? That was well over a year ago, what's going on?

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 25 Nov 2014 13:26

RoyallyFcuked The fact there has been virtually no footage of the film shown, and the fact we still don't know who any of the cast are going to be, suggests to me its nowhere near close to being finished.

But didnt they say filming had started? That was well over a year ago, what's going on?

Obviously the film company has been bought by a Thai consortium.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Nov 2014 19:27

Winston Smith Couldn't think of anything worse. Would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch something on this bloke and his 80 yard overhead goal in front of 100,000 on the Southbank

How long have you supported Reading?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Nov 2014 19:41

Winston Smith Couldn't think of anything worse. Would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch something on this bloke and his 80 yard overhead goal in front of 100,000 on the Southbank

Paul Brayson The Movie?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Nov 2014 08:34

RoyallyFcuked The fact there has been virtually no footage of the film shown, and the fact we still don't know who any of the cast are going to be, suggests to me its nowhere near close to watchable.

Corrected for you.

It has "Straight to DVD" written all over it. They'll be giving copies away with every £10 spent in the Megastore a week after it's released.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 26 Nov 2014 10:35

Man Friday

How long have you supported Reading?

I don't think anyone that didn't live through that period could appreciate what it was like. Footballers came from the same crowd as all of us. I remember playing a match over at Prospect Park and Percy Freeman (Readings CF) just joined in and played the whole game. You would see RobinFriday drinking at the local pubs in Reading (often the night before a game). In playing terms on his day he was simply the best player I have ever seen. That might sound like nostalgia but it isn't - . Just imagine one of our players now picking up the ball on the half way line dribbling past 4 or 5 players avoiding lunging tackles and scoring from 30 yds. That was just one of his exceptional goals. He did that on a regular basis.He could also dish out the rough stuff and give as good as he got. The excitement in the crowd when you knew he was playing was immense.

Football then was a different experience. It was far rougher. It was far more like 90 mins of battle rather than the tactical game of today. The noise of the crowd was incredible at times in the tightly confined spaces of Elm Park. He was dysfunctional, scruffy, undisciplined, but he was also a genius when it came to kicking a ball. Cant wait for the film!

190 posts