Playing on the same side? The last taboo

313 posts
Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

Playing on the same side? The last taboo

by Starfish » 09 Nov 2012 10:50

Hello everyone,
I've been posting on HNA? for just over six years now. Many details of my private life have obviously been disclosed in that time, but for those of you who don't know me, I am Irish (Reading fans' reaction to Doyle and Long was the reason I started reading HNA? in the first place), I now live in Germany, and I work in the entertainment business here. I am also one of the board's (it would seem) few bi- or homosexuals.

The city I live in, Nuremberg, is something of a centre of German football. The magazine 'Kicker' is based here, The German Academy of Football Culture, also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_A ... all-Kultur A lot of the work I do is presenting and moderating on-stage events and I have gradually become involved in many football-related projects. One of them involves homosexuality in football and is due to become somewhat more public over the next year or so.

2013 is a summer without a major international footballing event in Europe (unless you count the Women's European Championships in Sweden) and there are hopes that homosexual footballers will make a joint statement next summer in an effort to combat homophobia in football. An individual player would face a storm of abuse but it is hoped that if a large group of players across Europe make a united stand, the challenge will be an easier one to bear. In England, the reaction has been mixed. None of the players from clubs playing in the Champions League or Europa League this season have so far been willing to 'come out'. Loss of sponsorship and what not, seem to be off-putting factors, but there has been a good response from the (apologies in advance) 'less glamourous' sides. There are two Premier League teams in which 3 current first-team squad members are earmarked to come clean about their sexuality next year. West Brom is one. The other is Reading, one of these players is (judging by comments on here) something of a fan favourite, and the club itself has been very supportive of the whole project.

So, my question, and the reason I put this thread on the Team Board at all. Do you think it will affect your support of Reading FC knowing that (potentially) almost a third of the starting line-up is openly homosexual? Would you prefer your players to keep their private lives to themselves? Do you think that being known as one of England's Gay Teams will affect the way you support your team? Opposition fans are obviously going to target this fact in future seasons, and it may well be a stigma that the club and supporters will have to carry for many years.

All feedback (positve or negative) much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Playing on the same side? The last taboo

by cmonurz » 09 Nov 2012 10:55

I’ve no idea if this is an elaborate wind-up, but on the basis that it’s not…

- As you say it is very much the ‘last taboo’ in football and indeed most professional sport.
- The initiative to take place next summer is very welcome, I hope it has legs and comes to fruition.
- Such a revelation would not in any way affect my supporting of RFC, in fact I’d be proud that my club was at the forefront of such a campaign.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 09 Nov 2012 10:56

Couldn't give a shit what any of Reading's player's sexuality is. Gay, straight or bi, it's all the same to me.

What concerns me is that there is an implied pressure that gay players should be coming out publicly. Surely that's not the supporters business? If a player wants to be open about there sexuality, whichever way it is, then great. If not, fine. Players should be allowed to have a private life if they so wish.

But there does need to much more support for homosexuality in sport generally.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Nov 2012 10:56

Isn't making this kind of thing public going to potentially jeapodise and/or undermine your project?

...if there is any truth in it of course.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 09 Nov 2012 11:05

I'm not bothered, I don't have anything against gay people. (Expect the ones who wear tight jeans, and talk with a high pitch voice with lots of arm movements)

Tabb would be the obvious choice, but can't see him as a fan favourite!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Nov 2012 11:12

cmonurz I’ve no idea if this is an elaborate wind-up, but on the basis that it’s not…

- As you say it is very much the ‘last taboo’ in football and indeed most professional sport.
- The initiative to take place next summer is very welcome, I hope it has legs and comes to fruition.
- Such a revelation would not in any way affect my supporting of RFC, in fact I’d be proud that my club was at the forefront of such a campaign.

agreed- this^^

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Nov 2012 11:14

crass and unfunny guesses deleted.

apologies- i meant no offence
Last edited by melonhead on 09 Nov 2012 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 09 Nov 2012 11:17

I'm guessing this is just as joke. If not, I hope it includes Shane Long and Joseph Mills :)

double d

by double d » 09 Nov 2012 11:18

I was thinking that too funnily enough

double d

by double d » 09 Nov 2012 11:18

about tabb

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Nov 2012 11:19

melonhead
cmonurz I’ve no idea if this is an elaborate wind-up, but on the basis that it’s not…

agreed- this^^

^^^ ditto

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 09 Nov 2012 11:21

Got to be Kebe tbh.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 09 Nov 2012 11:21

Longy has been married for years with a little baby girl. I get the impression these are players who are openly gay within their clubs just not within the public sphere so unless Longy is going for a dramatic end to his marriage, it won't be him.

This is a rather crass discussion trying to pick who it might be, I don't think we should indulge in it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Nov 2012 11:25

apologies- i was only joking in reply to ians assertion that we would be above it.

i for one welcome and would be proud of our gay players,whoever they may be

also, im not sure how guessing their names would be a bad thing, if im not ashamed of them, and neither are they?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 09 Nov 2012 11:25

While I agree, I suspect it's more a gentle curiosity than the any desire to single them out for abuse or whatever. It's human nature to want to work out who it is.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 09 Nov 2012 11:26

Page won epic fred

double d

by double d » 09 Nov 2012 11:32

lowerwestjnr Got to be Kebe tbh.

Not him. I saw him with his wife and kids down Westfield Shopping Center not long ago

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Nov 2012 11:35

lowerwestjnr Got to be Kebe tbh.

Kebe scores with whoever he wants.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Nov 2012 11:36

i will happily delete my silly guesses, and openly apologise for any offence caused.

i do not see gayness as a bad thing, so i automatically didnt think there woukld be a problem in putting names down on paper/screen

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Nov 2012 11:51

Starfish Hello everyone,
I've been posting on HNA? for just over six years now. Many details of my private life have obviously been disclosed in that time, but for those of you who don't know me, I am Irish (Reading fans' reaction to Doyle and Long was the reason I started reading HNA? in the first place), I now live in Germany, and I work in the entertainment business here. I am also one of the board's (it would seem) few bi- or homosexuals.

The city I live in, Nuremberg, is something of a centre of German football. The magazine 'Kicker' is based here, The German Academy of Football Culture, also http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_A ... all-Kultur A lot of the work I do is presenting and moderating on-stage events and I have gradually become involved in many football-related projects. One of them involves homosexuality in football and is due to become somewhat more public over the next year or so.

2013 is a summer without a major international footballing event in Europe (unless you count the Women's European Championships in Sweden) and there are hopes that homosexual footballers will make a joint statement next summer in an effort to combat homophobia in football. An individual player would face a storm of abuse but it is hoped that if a large group of players across Europe make a united stand, the challenge will be an easier one to bear. In England, the reaction has been mixed. None of the players from clubs playing in the Champions League or Europa League this season have so far been willing to 'come out'. Loss of sponsorship and what not, seem to be off-putting factors, but there has been a good response from the (apologies in advance) 'less glamourous' sides. There are two Premier League teams in which 3 current first-team squad members are earmarked to come clean about their sexuality next year. West Brom is one. The other is Reading, one of these players is (judging by comments on here) something of a fan favourite, and the club itself has been very supportive of the whole project.

So, my question, and the reason I put this thread on the Team Board at all. Do you think it will affect your support of Reading FC knowing that (potentially) almost a third of the starting line-up is openly homosexual? Would you prefer your players to keep their private lives to themselves? Do you think that being known as one of England's Gay Teams will affect the way you support your team? Opposition fans are obviously going to target this fact in future seasons, and it may well be a stigma that the club and supporters will have to carry for many years.

All feedback (positve or negative) much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

All the best with your campaign
Last edited by LoyalRoyal22 on 09 Nov 2012 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

313 posts