Informing the club about a player

Steel Biscuit

Re: Informing the club about a player

by Steel Biscuit » 13 Nov 2012 13:57

In 1988 I wrote to the club recommending Danny Bailey, who was playing for Wealdstone. I never heard anything back, but he eventually signed for us a couple of years later. So either the club took a long time to make a final decision. Or it was a coincidence. Or something.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 Nov 2012 14:41

Mick Gooding is a total legend 8)

Can't see the club doing that now even though they'd have more staff!

You really need to get the message to Steve Head and/or Steve Shorey.

Optimist

by Optimist » 13 Nov 2012 16:00

A friend of my Dad once wrote to Man Utd asking if his son could have a trial, United wrote back and declined. A couple of weeks later he wrote almost exactly the same letter to them again, but this time he gave himself and his son foreign (probably Italian) sounding names rather than their common English ones. United wrote back and said they were interested! :shock:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Nov 2012 16:22

Optimist A friend of my Dad once wrote to Man Utd asking if his son could have a trial, United wrote back and declined. A couple of weeks later he wrote almost exactly the same letter to them again, but this time he gave himself and his son foreign (probably Italian) sounding names rather than their common English ones. United wrote back and said they were interested! :shock:

Federici? :wink:

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 13 Nov 2012 19:32

Archie's penalty As some of you know have been watching a lot of the Polish league. There are some real gems over here that could, I think, do well with Reading. Anyway it got me thinking, have any of you ever contacted the club to inform them about a player? Has this been done before? Does the club take random tip-offs and are they ever taken up?
Middlesbrough signed Juninho after a fan with an interest in Brazilian football bought him to their attention.

A friend of mine has a primary school aged kid who plays in central defence for a local football, he had a chat to a Reading scout who told him to steer away from the best local teams as players get lazy playing in a good team and they learn more develop more playing in a team where they have to work alot harder. He also told him which teams they tend to watch more and which competitions etc.

The kid is quite good by all accounts, Fulham and Reading have asked to be kept informed of which team he's in but his Dad has turned down trials as he says he's too young.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Nov 2012 20:03

Royal Biscuitman
Archie's penalty As some of you know have been watching a lot of the Polish league. There are some real gems over here that could, I think, do well with Reading. Anyway it got me thinking, have any of you ever contacted the club to inform them about a player? Has this been done before? Does the club take random tip-offs and are they ever taken up?
Middlesbrough signed Juninho after a fan with an interest in Brazilian football bought him to their attention.

A friend of mine has a primary school aged kid who plays in central defence for a local football, he had a chat to a Reading scout who told him to steer away from the best local teams as players get lazy playing in a good team and they learn more develop more playing in a team where they have to work alot harder. He also told him which teams they tend to watch more and which competitions etc.

The kid is quite good by all accounts, Fulham and Reading have asked to be kept informed of which team he's in but his Dad has turned down trials as he says he's too young.

IMO his Dad is spot on. Don't turn your back on grass roots too soon. Clubs are all too quick to ditch youngsters again and I've seen how difficult it is for some of them to adapt back into a lower level (partly because jealousy sometimes means their former team mates and opponents are particularly keen to welcome them back). If you are good enough, you will get to the top, even if you do leave it later.

I know it's 'only women's football' but my daughter stayed in grass roots until nearly 15 and avoided playing for the best teams for the reasons outlined above. When we finally decided it was time for her to go for trials, she was immediately snapped up and was playing for a WPL club at 17.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 13 Nov 2012 21:03

In the town where my buiness is Somerset a customer of mine is a Reading Scout, although he's looking at under 16s

double d

by double d » 13 Nov 2012 21:27

I applied for the England job based on my FM credentials. Got this in reply. Funnily enough they never actually said no.

http://instagram.com/p/R_B-VKKXGy/

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 13 Nov 2012 22:20

The Prisoner Not RFC, but....

Seaman didn't know who Pardew was, and he and his family consumed a whole tin of Family Circle biscuits which we'd brought specially. Oh, and he didn't buy the house. Tosser.

Hahaha this made me do a proper belly laugh.

sam1
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by sam1 » 13 Nov 2012 22:21

As has your user name when I just spotted it :lol:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Nov 2012 00:17

A bloke who used to work for me (Most die hard Liverpool fan i've ever met) claimed that he tipped them off about John Arne Riise. Didn't believe it for a long time, but he was totally fixated on it, and the other guys who'd worked with him for years claimed it was true, so i found myself starting to wonder.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Nov 2012 08:13

I informed the club a few years back about a couple of young strikers at Cork. Can't remember what came of it.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 14 Nov 2012 08:20

The Prisoner David Seaman also came in with his now ex-wife & children about buying a property in Alderley Edge. It was the day Pardew walked out. Seaman didn't know who Pardew was, and he and his family consumed a whole tin of Family Circle biscuits which we'd brought specially. Oh, and he didn't buy the house. Tosser.

And now he lives near Aldermaston :lol:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 14 Nov 2012 13:46

Wrote to RFC around 2005 ish to recommend a player. Thy wrote back, said they would look into it but has enough players so would be difficult to justify taking another

The player was arrested for match fixing in Asia about 2 years later!