Back from the game - Sunderland (A)

superchelski88

Worse performance this season?

by superchelski88 » 11 Dec 2012 21:50

Has there been a worse performance this season than tonight?

i think not :/

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worse performance this season?

by Big Ern » 11 Dec 2012 21:51

i thought Southampon was worse.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Dec 2012 21:53

The majority of recent games have been the ones we need to win if we want to stay in this league, and we haven't achieved that. We are woeful, and the manager has to take responsibility. whether it may be his long ball tactics, or his team selections, the buck stops with him. It's time for change and a fresh pair of eyes to get these players playing again, and more importantly, wanting to play for the manager again.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 11 Dec 2012 21:54

Saw both games. Southampton deffo worse. At least we were pressing for a bit at the end tonight!

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 11 Dec 2012 21:54

Splitting hairs trying to think of which performance has been the worst.

The most recent time I can think of where we lost by a three goal deficit was when we lost 4-1 to QPR in the Rodgers era.

It's dark times, gentlemen.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 11 Dec 2012 21:54

Tonights performance has the air of the 4-1 defeat against the Mackems when Bullivant was on the slide, and we all know what the outcome was there....

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 11 Dec 2012 21:56

Villa was worse, but frankly tonight, Wigan and Southampton were all the same. Wigan only didn't seem so bad thanks to some shocking goalkeeping.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 11 Dec 2012 21:56

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115874&start=40

Seems to be lots this season !

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 11 Dec 2012 21:57

Tonight... pure and utter shite should of been 7-0

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Dec 2012 21:59

See...and I thought Villa was the worst.

Take out the Man Utd game, of all games, and we have lost to Villa, Soton and Sunderland, all fellow relegation candidates before they played us, by an aggregate 5-0.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Dec 2012 22:01

I thought we played better tonight than against Southampton, only marginally though and we still deserved to lose. There was less slinging it into the channels although that was forced by Roberts not being there. I have nothing else to say.

superchelski88

by superchelski88 » 11 Dec 2012 22:05

It's clear to see even the players are becoming disillusioned with BM after the past few games, gotta go!

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Dec 2012 22:08

superchelski88 It's clear to see even the players are becoming disillusioned with BM after the past few games, gotta go!

So?

And us fans are getting disillusioned with the player's (apparent lack of) effort the past two games. No passion, no urgency, no spark on the pitch. What is BM supposed to do come out of retirement and lace 'em up?
Last edited by Libertine on 11 Dec 2012 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 11 Dec 2012 22:09

Didn't go to the pub to watch the first half, just went up for the second half.

That was pretty embarrassing

No passion, no leadership, not good enough.

Bench of Obita, Gunnarson, Harte and Samuel - jeeez, is that it?

Gotta go big man.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 11 Dec 2012 22:11

"You really find out about people and just looking forward now"

Bored mate. "anyone would have taken were we are now 12 months ago" - no way

superchelski88

by superchelski88 » 11 Dec 2012 22:17

Libertine
superchelski88 It's clear to see even the players are becoming disillusioned with BM after the past few games, gotta go!

So?

And us fans are getting disillusioned with the player's (apparent lack of) effort the past two games. No passion, no urgency, no spark on the pitch. What is BM supposed to do come out of retirement and lace 'em up?

Obviously not :) don't get me wrong, BM did a fantastic job in get us promoted, but that was last season and this is now , he looks lost half the time, the players need a leader and guidance

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 11 Dec 2012 22:26

superchelski88
Libertine

So?

Obviously not :) don't get me wrong, BM did a fantastic job in get us promoted, but that was last season and this is now , he looks lost half the time, the players need a leader and guidance

The players need to be better able to go on the pitch and execute the way they have trained to do leading up to the game. It is easy to pin it on BM but the last two games I have not seen what needed to be seen done on the pitch. Some people lay more of the blame on BM for this but I see it being more of a problem with the players...a squad right now that doesn't provide BM too many viable options. That I will pin on BM and NH for not setting up the team properly leading up to the season.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Dec 2012 22:38

If the players aren't good enough then they aren't good enough.

It would be crazy to expect a team that's this weak to do anything other than struggle badly. A high work-rate has papered over a lot of cracks, but as the heads drop as they lose heart, it's just going to get worse.

The damage was done in the summer with inadequate signings for a clearly weak squad. January will be too late. Nobody will want to join a club that'll be about 10 points adrift of safety. All the club can do now is plan for next year in the championship.

RFCUK

Back from the game - Sunderland (A)

by RFCUK » 11 Dec 2012 22:46

Just got back to my hotel in Newcastle, and the hour long journey hasn't done much to calm me down. I feel sorry for those that made the journey up from Reading, not worth the time nor effort. I must say, considering our position in the league and how poorly we've played, fans gave it a real go for the first half an hour until the second goal.

Words really are starting to fail me. I'm fully in the McDermott out camp, but this one can't be chalked up to him. There was no where for Brian to turn to on the pitch or on the bench, this showed by only bringing on Samuel (who barely touched the ball).

We look like complete headless chickens out there, and there doesn't seem to be any hope coming from anywhere. I honestly don't understand how we can play so poorly after last season.

As usual, key points from the game:

- We have zero creativity on the pitch - McClearly is our only threat (at times)
- No one takes control, and I'm sorry but McAnuff should not be captain. Nothing against him, but you need someone who is going to pull the team together when heads start to drop.
- Ledge isn't even a shadow of his former self.
- Almost all the goals I've seen this season have come down the left wing. There was plenty of open space there tonight.
- I don't remember a clear cut chance, and when we had a very very shot, chants of 'how sh*t must you be, we just had a shot' came through. Sad, but true.
- Sunderland weren't anything special, we are just woefully bad. Everywhere.

With Arsenal, City, Swansea, West Ham, Spurs and Newcastle coming up, I can't see us getting more than a point from all of those games, and I can't see anyone coming in, as who would want to leave their club to play for a team clearly doomed for relegation.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Sunderland (A)

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Dec 2012 22:50

I feel for you - sounded dire.