Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTM/PC Stoke City (A)

by Arch » 09 Feb 2013 23:17

No penalty.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Feb 2013 23:43

Shearer and Larwo both say its a pen,Rooney at OT given 7 times out of 10 , looked clumsy, in the outfield its a foul, inside the area???
Having said that judging by the highlights we didn`t deserve anything and the defeat could have been heavier.
Last edited by windermere_royal on 09 Feb 2013 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2013 23:44

So that's Lawrenson, Shearer and Nicholas who all thought it was a penalty. Not exactly the best advocates, but the only neutral views I've seen.

VOR

by VOR » 09 Feb 2013 23:49

windermere_royal Shearer and Larwo both say its a pen,Rooney at OT given 7 times out of 10 , looked clumsy, in the outfield its a foul, inside the area???

What the f*** are you talking about? A penalty is a foul commited inside the penalty area. Defender kicked Alfie , it's a pen, no brainer. Which part of 'foul' and 'penalty area' don't you understand?

Usual Stoke - 90% hoof and thuggery, 10% stuff like Jerome's goal. What drugs was the ref on not to send off Whelan for his assault on Ledge?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Feb 2013 23:54

VOR
windermere_royal Shearer and Larwo both say its a pen,Rooney at OT given 7 times out of 10 , looked clumsy, in the outfield its a foul, inside the area???

What the f*** are you talking about? A penalty is a foul commited inside the penalty area. Defender kicked Alfie , it's a pen, no brainer. Which part of 'foul' and 'penalty area' don't you understand?

Usual Stoke - 90% hoof and thuggery, 10% stuff like Jerome's goal. What drugs was the ref on not to send off Whelan for his assault on Ledge?

Badly worded by me, I agree it was a pen, I was wondering why if its a foul in the outfield then why is it not inside the box?
Refs are certainly doing there part to try and send us down this season.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Feb 2013 01:48

If that had been given against us with 20 seconds to go in injury time, we'd be livid. It was standard issue defending.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Feb 2013 03:41

Always dissapointing to lose, whoever the opposition, but not too down about it. I would have bitten your hand off 6 weeks ago to be in this position as back then there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

With regards to the game, then I think the best team won. They had the better chances and more of the possesion so there can be no complaints from our side. Ultimately Stoke won the physical battle from thew outset and apart from pockets of time when we played it around nicely, we never really looked that threatening from open play. At times we did look like a Premiership side and there were positives to take from it. BM´s gamble of playing Blackman didn´t really come off IMO and maybe we missed Gurthie a little. Stoke are an experiecned Prem team and maybe we needed that extra bit of top flight experience, but hindseight..wonderful thing.... etc...The subsititutions certainly made a difference to Stoke and shows the strengh if depth we will need next season if we stay up and want to avoid another relegation dogfight. Nevermind the superbly taken goal that any Striker would have been proud of, I personally thought Cameron Jerome was excellent allround when he came on and made a noticeable difference to Stoke.

What could be crucial is the goal we got at the end. Mentally could help us as we were not drubbed and with a feeling of inustice over the penalty inccident, could mean we come up against Wigan with something to prove. With regards to the Penalty, my initial thoughts were no and I think ALF appeared to be looking for the pen too much to actually get awarded it.

Now it is Wigan at our place, and anything other than 3 points could be a disaster. Southampton´s performance today was impressive to say the least and they may start pulling away from the dog fight. I think todays defeat for QPR is pretty much ´Game Over´for them now so it could be shaping up for 2 from Villa, us and Wigan to complete the 3 relegations places.

Whatever happens I am sure it will go down to the last game of the season. My bum is already squeaking
Last edited by Big Ern on 10 Feb 2013 03:49, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Feb 2013 03:47

Mr.T10 Are people forgetting earlier on results with the very open 4-4-2? Jesus christ imagine if McDermott didn't change the system (Wish he did it a lot sooner), I can tell you we will look a lot worse to QPR.

4-4-2 doesn't work from starting and people say 4-5-1 doesn't work but judging by results it does... Yes we change to 4-4-2 at the end to go more offensive at the end but that is just because its a lot easier to attack a defence with fitness levels low and normally we need to chase the game. 4-5-1 gets the thumbs up.

This season is all about survival and getting points on the board if that means we have to do it ugly and rescuing games late on then so be it.

Some people will never be happy.

Back to the game: We lost to a team who has only lost to Chelsea in nearly 20 games or so at home, we move on.

Good post Says it all really.

442 from starting is a no-no as we found out the hard way. Only good for us as a fallback option if 451 doesn't go well.

Jobi centre. Mcleary left is the formula. Couldn't do it today due to internationals.

Leave Blackman to develop.

Loss doesn't matter.

We move on.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2013 06:33

Anyone else think we are missing Guthrie in the centre?

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 10 Feb 2013 07:04

loyalroyal4life Anyone else think we are missing Guthrie in the centre?

No

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 10 Feb 2013 08:46

Yes. I think with Akpan, Guthrie and Karacan we have 3 potentially excellent midfielders. I love the job Ledge did for us last season and I think he is better than what we give him credit for when it comes to breaking up the play. However, last season I marvelled at how often he managed to hold off two players and retain possession. This season, up against better opposition, I think he has struggled. For 2013/14 I think we need a new ball winner if we manage to stay up.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Feb 2013 09:40

Stoke itself is a massive shithole. Even the oatcake shop was closed. The whole city should be levelled under the auspices of RAF Bomber Command

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Feb 2013 09:58

Ian Royal So that's Lawrenson, Shearer and Nicholas who all thought it was a penalty. Not exactly the best advocates, but the only neutral views I've seen.

Add Garth Crooks to that. It's looking very much like we were robbed. :twisted:

Arch If that had been given against us with 20 seconds to go in injury time, we'd be livid. It was standard issue defending.

It was standard issue Stoke defending. If awarded against us, we should have been livid with the defender for making that type of challenge.

That challenge would have been penalised had it occurred outside the area, therefore the ref was completely wrong not to have awarded a penalty - in essence he bottled it - possibly because of the time it happened?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 10 Feb 2013 10:07

Stuka Stoke itself is a massive shithole. Even the oatcake shop was closed. The whole city should be levelled under the auspices of RAF Bomber Command

Did you break your Wedgwood crockery or something?

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 10 Feb 2013 10:09

glass half full
Stuka Stoke itself is a massive shithole. Even the oatcake shop was closed. The whole city should be levelled under the auspices of RAF Bomber Command

Did you break your Wedgwood crockery or something?

Even if you wanted to buy any fine ceramics, you couldn't because all the shops were boarded up.

One thing I did like, the away end bar sold neat spirits. First time I've seen that.

VOR

by VOR » 10 Feb 2013 12:12

Arch If that had been given against us with 20 seconds to go in injury time, we'd be livid. It was standard issue defending.

Usual muddled thinking. It was a foul so you would have had no right to be livid, except with the defender, perhaps. If that is your idea of standard issue defending I'm very glad you're not in the team

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2013 12:26

SHORT AND CURLY

No

We missed his ability to pass the ball yesterday. But we didn't miss him against Sunderland.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 10 Feb 2013 12:47

RoyalBlue That challenge would have been penalised had it occurred outside the area, therefore the ref was completely wrong not to have awarded a penalty - in essence he bottled it - possibly because of the time it happened?

Isn't it pathetic how weak referees are when it comes to giving decisions simply because they fear the circumstances... such as the location of the incident, the time on the clock, and the size/stature of the opposing team (or their manager)!??

The Pog's 'deliberate handball' and the challenge on Ledge also appear clear examples of the ref choosing to misinterpret the rules in order to limit his exposure to controversy. However, scientific analysis of vast amounts of data proves that referees are subconsciously biased towards teams supported by more vociferous crowds. Now that might seem obvious, but the surprising thing about this phenomenon is that it is so prevalent, that as spectators we 'expect' this effect, and even go so far to justify bad decisions in terms of "if that was given at our end we'd be furious", or "if that was at home it would have gone our way".

The sheer volume of refereeing errors is disconcerting but over longer time-scales we cannot claim injustice to our cause alone, ref's make bad decisions for all teams... but it damn sure makes football more frustrating as the null hypothesis consistently defeats challenges to the status quo.

The only way to change this is to introduce some sort of counter-measure to readdress the balance in the referee's psyche at the moment of decision... either by ratcheting up the pressure on them through tighter regulation and consequences for wrong decisions (to counter the shit they get from angry fans / over hyped media), or on the other hand take the pressure off decision making by giving them a helping hand with technology. In Cricket for example the second approach has resulted in 98% of decisions going the correct way...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Feb 2013 13:52

I hope Albert Spangler is reading the comments on here about Blackman - he said nothing he's seen had been critical of Blackman when I tweeted that I thought some of McD's starting 11 were questionable, most notably Blackman. Don't want to knock him per se, but is he really ready to be thrown into a starting 11? It's all about opinions I suppose.