MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 18:16

Ian Royal
melonhead he lost the crowd

He his side abjectly capitulated against it's relegation rivals. We now have two write off games in which to get a replacement in before we try and round up the necessary points to survive.

He'd pretty much got to the tipping point where he'd lost at least a significant minority of the fans. Those two things combined really meant that his position was likely to become untenable in the near future.

TBH I'm kinda glad its happened early, because I really wouldn't have enjoyed it dragging out and all the good years we've had with him being tarnished with bitter recriminations at the end. Now we can kind of happily forget that he's got us relegated from the Premier League, because he didn't finish the season.

not commenting on whether the sacking was warranted, or the boos
it certainly cant be called a massive shock(though timing wise it is)

im just saying he went cos the crowd went all divvy spazmong on saturday

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 11 Mar 2013 18:16

St8ing the obvious, but SJM wouldn't have taken this decision.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 11 Mar 2013 18:17

Was only a matter of time before Anton started throwing his weight around

Been waiting for him to start playing personal championship manager like the spoilt little rich brat he seems

Anton you utter f*cking c*nt

Fezza

by Fezza » 11 Mar 2013 18:17

Shocked but not surprised!

The last few games have been similar to the end of the SSC era - poor tactics, same old faces failing to deliver and little obvious effort from our players.

The lack of intent against Villa and Wigan has done for him more than the results.

On the plus side it gives whoever comes in a fair chance to look at the squad before the summer and build properly for Championship survival. Please god don't be Curbishly, Kean, Keane, Robson or any of the other perennial relegation managers!

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Mar 2013 18:18

This has gone from being a bad season to an unmitigated disaster. Manager sackings at this point in the season, with clubs in the position that we find our team in, can lead to implosions which affect a club for years.

So I guess we found this season's official "scapegoat", huh?

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 11 Mar 2013 18:18

If Zingarevich genuinely wanted us to stay up, he should have put his hands deeper into his pockets in the summer and January. Seems to me he's trying to stay up, desperately, on the cheap so he can make a good buck with the big money coming in next season.

Unknown

by Unknown » 11 Mar 2013 18:18

F*cking sack the slag Queensley not McDermott :(

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Mar 2013 18:19

Bandini St8ing the obvious, but SJM wouldn't have taken this decision.

Just what I said to someone and makes it feel worse. I liked being a club who took pride in doing things the classy way, even if it meant we had to take a step backwards sometimes, instead of sacking managers in this manner.

Esteban

by Esteban » 11 Mar 2013 18:20

Unbelievable. Fans boo him (some, not all I'm aware of this), then are surprised when he gets the sack and demand Zingarevich goes!

If it weren't for Zingarevich, we wouldn't have been playing in the PL this season. The same can be said for McDermott.

Agree with what Melonhead said, AZ said he'd back McDermott as long as the fans did. What a crying shame the fans couldn't live life with some perspective.

Good luck Brian and thanks for everything you did for this club during your time here. Always an RFC legend.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 11 Mar 2013 18:20

mr_number
southbank1871
Maguire Zingarevich's lips don't even move when he fcking speaks

THE PRICK

Bradfield College SCUM

Don't tarnish Bradfield's name with that scum, he went somewhere else...

Bearwood College. Where the thick rich kids go :evil:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 18:21

West_Reading If Zingarevich genuinely wanted us to stay up, he should have put his hands deeper into his pockets in the summer and January. Seems to me he's trying to stay up, desperately, on the cheap so he can make a good buck with the big money coming in next season.

How much do you think the likes of Di Canio or Di Matteo would want to come here and manage? :o If they pay for either of them, it would just stick the knife into Brian even more - they could have given him that money to buy some proper bloody players. :cry:

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 11 Mar 2013 18:21

Esteban Unbelievable. Fans boo him (some, not all I'm aware of this), then are surprised when he gets the sack and demand Zingarevich goes!

It's almost like you're talking about two distinct sets of people.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 Mar 2013 18:21

The very same SJM that only gave Rodgers 10 games or so

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Mar 2013 18:22

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2013 18:23

Royal Lady
West_Reading If Zingarevich genuinely wanted us to stay up, he should have put his hands deeper into his pockets in the summer and January. Seems to me he's trying to stay up, desperately, on the cheap so he can make a good buck with the big money coming in next season.

How much do you think the likes of Di Canio or Di Matteo would want to come here and manage? :o If they pay for either of them, it would just stick the knife into Brian even more - they could have given him that money to buy some proper bloody players. :cry:

They did.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 11 Mar 2013 18:23

windermere_royal

The very same SJM that only gave Rodgers 10 games or so

Actually, you're right, Brian and Brenda are exactly comparable in terms of their achievements with, and the position of, the club when they were sacked.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 Mar 2013 18:24

This will be like Wolves last season. No one will want the job as we are still going down. We will end up with Nigal Gibbs as manager, lose all our remaining games. The very least Brian deserves is another crack at trying to get us back up. Pointless, mindless decision.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 11 Mar 2013 18:24

I think we can now give up even the slimmest hope of staying up.

Our search must now focus on finding a manager proven at Championship level, capable of making the most from an, on paper at least, average squad. Someone who is capable of working 'the Reading way' (ie: maximum expectation, minimum investment) and with a proven track record of finding 'gems' for next to nothing (a strong scouting background perhaps). Someone who keeps the squad positive despite even when the glass is mostly empty - you could say able to move on from defeat.

Wherever could we find a manager like that?

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 11 Mar 2013 18:24

Reading fans on talkSPORT right now making me ashamed to be associated with the club. How can you call yourself a fan if you can't even say Madejski? Jesus H Christ.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 11 Mar 2013 18:25

Sad to see him go, but not surprised. I think the moment the Guthrie episode started was the start of his demise. To be honest we weren't good enough to go up last year and to stick with nearly all of that squad was nice, but never going to work. He had money to spend but , no disrespect, Akpan and Carrico and Blackman were never going to save us, but will probably get us back up next year. Is there ever a good time to sack a manager? I don't think so, but by doing it now, anyone coming in will have time to evaluate what we have and recognize where we need strengthening for next season.I wish all the best to Brian and I have no doubt that if he so wishes, he will be a top manager.

714 posts