MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by CountryRoyal » 11 Mar 2013 18:35

leon jesus wept, not very happy about this.

FYI "jusus wept" is normally used to express a degree of sarcasm.

HTH

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 11 Mar 2013 18:36

Completely idiotic timing!

Hard lines Brian. You did a good job and you've got more a sense of what this club is about than the people who sacked you.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Mar 2013 18:36

CountryRoyal

HTH

cunt off

HTFH

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 11 Mar 2013 18:36

Utterly resent those that say we haven't shown any effort. Completely and unequivocally untrue. Just not good enough. But please, please don't get Di Canio.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 11 Mar 2013 18:36

Poor Signings
Poor tactics
Poor play
Poor results

= The sack - We should not be suprised at all.

Sat in the car after Saturday, I was thinking to myself if AZ might want to change the style that we've adopted over the past 6 years - lets face it, its been more than predictable - and every prem Manager worth his salt will know us inside out.

Thanks Brian for eveything - regardless of where we are at the end ofthe season youve still be our second most succesful manager.

However, if that oxf*rd of a oxf*rd Di Canio takes over I wont be happy.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 18:37

Do you actually read these threads Ian?

We may have made a bid, at the last minute, for Gylfi but Spurs never once said they'd consider it or that Gylfi wanted to come back.

As I and others have said, we could offer £10 million for Messi or Ronaldo or whoever - that means we've made an offer - it doesn't mean either the player wants to come here or their club would accept our offer. It could easily have been lip service from the club because a) people were pissed off when we let Gylfi go and b) fans were expressing displeasure at not having made any real quality signings...

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 11 Mar 2013 18:37

It is always a sad day when a manager loses his job, certainly this season's performances and results have been very disappoining, with what a seemed to be very few ideas on how to change things when the tactics go wrong, in a brutal way this should have been done earlier, although this is a good indication of intention as Anton saw how we were going, again brutal, but the right decision.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 11 Mar 2013 18:37

Is Terry Connor available?

What would all make us feel so much better right now is a proper scapegoat.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Mar 2013 18:38

largetrousers I'm shocked, if the owner wanted this why wait till now with only 9 games to go.

Presumably he waited to see how we were placed after the Wigan and Villa games. If we'd won those he's probably have kept his job as we'd be in a much better position.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Mar 2013 18:38

Sad sad day for the club as we lose an excellent servant. In complete shock.

However, the relationship between Brian and the fans was becoming increasingly strained and perhaps it will be better for all concerned that we have a clean break-up before things get too ugly.

Something needed to change within the club if we were going to become a long term PL club, McDermott's tactical/motivating skills have come short at this level, and as long as the right man is chosen succeed him in the long run this could ultimately prove to be a good decision.

Lets be honest, the football this season has been shite, and the results haven't been much better. Brian hasn't been dealt a massive injustice here. It will be raw for a few weeks because of the successes of previous seasons, and we should remember the fantastic times he's given us. However Anton bought this club with a view to taking it into and most importantly keeping it in the premier league. There is very little room for sentiment.

Punk Tew Asian

by Punk Tew Asian » 11 Mar 2013 18:38

What a pointless, futile decision. At least Brian had the players motivated. And why doesn't the Club's statement recognise the role Brian played in all the years he served before becoming manager, and the invaluable role he played in getting us up in 2006? Can't believe SJM would have done it at this stage if he were still the owner. What hope has any new manager got with perhaps only 7 games to go and no chance of recruiting new players?
Personally, I was happy to go down in the knowledge that Brian had as good a chance as anyone of getting us back up next year in the 'Reading way'.
Now what? Unless Anton has someone in mind already, surely he can only bring someone in on a short-term basis, with a contract for future years conditional on keeping us up? Benitez Mk !!??

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Mar 2013 18:39

Whoever comes in now will have the job of trying to get Championship standard players (for the most part) to try and get results. Much like Brian did. Good luck to him whoever he is. That's the crux of the matter.

Taffster

by Taffster » 11 Mar 2013 18:39

Hoop Blah
mr_number Correct decision, clearly lost the dressing room. no fight no desire in this team, lets get the ball on the deck, fight for every ball, fight till the last minute of the last game.

I'd be utterly shocked if it was true that he'd 'lost the dressing room'. Brian's the kinda guy who you'd cut off your left bollock for if it would get us three points.

Yeah he does sound to have had clashes with a few of the bigger names such as Roberts and Guthrie and while they majority of players may back him when things are going well who knows which side they will take when our form has dropped.

At the end of the day we will never know the reason.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 18:39

CountryRoyal

HTH

:|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Mar 2013 18:40

Scutterbucketz Is Terry Connor available?

What would all make us feel so much better right now is a proper scapegoat.

Les Reed your time is now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Mar 2013 18:40

Royal Lady Do you actually read these threads Ian?

We may have made a bid, at the last minute, for Gylfi but Spurs never once said they'd consider it or that Gylfi wanted to come back.

As I and others have said, we could offer £10 million for Messi or Ronaldo or whoever - that means we've made an offer - it doesn't mean either the player wants to come here or their club would accept our offer. It could easily have been lip service from the club because a) people were pissed off when we let Gylfi go and b) fans were expressing displeasure at not having made any real quality signings...

None of which means money wasn't available you retard.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 11 Mar 2013 18:41

I believe, despite my insistance on that McD should of stayed, this is a perfect time to change things. However I believe he should have been offered a demotion to Chief Scout, and then if he didnt accept that, then be sacked. To sack him is disrespectful with no alternative offers from the club.

Anyway, I believe the timing to change the role is right. We are going down, thats the end of it. But at least this gives a new manager 9 games to work out the strengths (Akpan, Le Fondre) and our weaknesses (Leigertwood) before next season. Then the new manager, be it whoever can get their own personell in. The worst scenario would be a yes man, and we end up with a teamful of second rate Russians. The best scenario is we get someone who knows what hes doing (Adkins, McCarthy) who fires us to Promotion.

And no I would not like Di Canio! :x

Hope your reading this Anton

yuomi

by yuomi » 11 Mar 2013 18:42

Welcome to Oligarch ownership.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Mar 2013 18:43

Royal Lady Whoever comes in now will have the job of trying to get Championship standard players (for the most part) to try and get results. Much like Brian did. Good luck to him whoever he is. That's the crux of the matter.

Bring on the 6 points for us at United and Arsenal. Nothing less will suffice.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Mar 2013 18:43

yuomi Welcome to Oligarch ownership.

hardly, Johnny Mad sacked a few in his time.

714 posts