POLL: Adkins or Poyet?

150 posts

Nigel Adkins or Gus Poyet to be the new Reading manager?

Nigel Adkins
51%
Gus Poyet
49%

Total votes: 242
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

POLL: Adkins or Poyet?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Mar 2013 23:11

With various newspapers reporting some sort of duel between these two for the job, who would you pick if you were AZ?

*I understand that neither might not want to take the job, but if you had to pick, who would it be?
** I understand that this is a new thread.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: POLL: Adkins or Poyet?

by winchester_royal » 20 Mar 2013 23:14

Poyet, just. Mainly because it would be a huge coup for the club to lure him away from Brighton and would be a big piece of evidence that Anton is taking the club to a new level. Adkins would also show this, but at a smaller level IMHO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2296632/Gus-Poyet-given-transfer-funds-promise-takes-Reading-job.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-readingmail&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=socialnet-twitter-readingmail&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Exciting times.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Mar 2013 23:20

Lubrication. :?

RedRum

by RedRum » 20 Mar 2013 23:26

Would be very very happy with either, but Adkins edges it for me.

Just because he has a better record than Poyet, in actually getting promoted from the championship. Think Poyet would be more of a gamble.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Mar 2013 23:27

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 20 Mar 2013 23:37

I would say Poyet, although it's definitely a difficult and close decision.

Poyet knows the Premier League from his work at Tottenham as assistant manager/coach/whatever, so he's not as inexperienced as people are saying he is. He also coaches pretty football which is nice too.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 20 Mar 2013 23:43

I went for GP because we need a manager who can attract players; secondly because BHA fans think they're a big club when they're not.

I'm not suggesting we are; we never spout around how oxf*rd glorious we think we are. Having said that, they still have some way to go before they reach the deluded levels of West Ham and Lpool fans

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 21 Mar 2013 00:04

Poyet:

+ Premier League experience with Tottenham
+ Attractive football
+ Good (relatively) cheap signings from across Europe
- Lots of passing between the back 4 with little end product (see game vs. us at the end of last season)
- Will have to pay compo
- Brenda tried to get us playing tiki taka football and almost got us relegated

Adkins:
+ Attractive football
+ Free
+ Experience of promotion from Championship
- Spent £20m in the summer and didn't do any better than McD, why would we bother?
- Whilst good going forward, Southampton's defending was poor
- Looks like a paedophile

I voted for Poyet, if he can sort out the end product thing then we'd be set.

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 21 Mar 2013 00:13

blueroyals - Looks like a paedophile

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Mar 2013 00:18

Still feels like we're "cheating" on BM.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 21 Mar 2013 00:26

winchester_royal Poyet, just. Mainly because it would be a huge coup for the club to lure him away from Brighton and would be a big piece of evidence that Anton is taking the club to a new level. Adkins would also show this, but at a smaller level IMHO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2296632/Gus-Poyet-given-transfer-funds-promise-takes-Reading-job.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-readingmail&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=socialnet-twitter-readingmail&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Exciting times.

Exciting indeed!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Mar 2013 00:30

Poyet wants to manage Chelsea

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/28/gus-poyet ... b-3520395/

And/or Arsenal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... senal.html

Anyone who reads those and still thinks he's the man for us needs their head examining.

After the heartache and upset of being 'betrayed' by McGhee and betrayed by Parjudas, both people who never before came up with explicit comments like the above and never had a history of stabbing anyone in the back and also owed a hell of a lot to us for giving them the chance... I can't understand how anyone in their right mind wants this a**ehole here.

I will proudly come back and gloat and will use expletives to address anyone who disagrees with me, a couple of years down the line when this d*ckwad leaves us for a bigger club when we're on the verge of promotion.

FFS he'll have already shown his colours by leaving Brighton in the lurch for a bigger club, and has already explicitly stated his real aim, will owe us nothing and if anything will know that if we criticise him well just be hypocritical.

Th stupidity of some people truly truly astounds me. I'd best be polite for when I drag his thread up in a couple of years.

Besides, Adkins wins hands down for me anyway. In fact even Brian destroys him FFS

Bye for now.

Kebe is our Messi

by Kebe is our Messi » 21 Mar 2013 00:35

I wouldnt believe anything that paper (Mailonline) writes, some of the stuff they come out with is ludicrous.

Poyet would be a good manager because of his experience in the premier league and experience in the championship should we go down, his name alone will enable us to attract better players and the style of football is obviously much better on the eye. The cutting edge is what was lacking at brighton and what he should have at reading given the money he could have to spend.
Last edited by Kebe is our Messi on 21 Mar 2013 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Mar 2013 00:36

RoyalTank
blueroyals - Looks like a paedophile

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it was funny when one of the Brighton lot, on their board, said he looks like an extra in the Inbetweeners with his stupid sticky up hair at the front :lol:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Mar 2013 00:42

2 world wars, 1 world cup Poyet wants to manage Chelsea

And/or Arsenal

Anyone who reads those and still thinks he's the man for us needs their head examining.

After the heartache and upset of being 'betrayed' by McGhee and betrayed by Parjudas, both people who never before came up with explicit comments like the above and never had a history of stabbing anyone in the back and also owed a hell of a lot to us for giving them the chance... I can't understand how anyone in their right mind wants this a**ehole here.

I will proudly come back and gloat and will use expletives to address anyone who disagrees with me, a couple of years down the line when this d*ckwad leaves us for a bigger club when we're on the verge of promotion.

FFS he'll have already shown his colours by leaving Brighton in the lurch for a bigger club, and has already explicitly stated his real aim, will owe us nothing and if anything will know that if we criticise him well just be hypocritical.

Th stupidity of some people truly truly astounds me. I'd best be polite for when I drag his thread up in a couple of years.

Besides, Adkins wins hands down for me anyway. In fact even Brian destroys him FFS

Bye for now.

Sorry, you think anyone we could bring in would turn down the chance to manage Arsenal if they got it? :lol:

At least he's honest, that was the major gripe with McGhee and Pardew

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Mar 2013 00:46

winchester_royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Poyet wants to manage Chelsea

And/or Arsenal

Bye for now.

Sorry, you think anyone we could bring in would turn down the chance to manage Arsenal if they got it? :lol:

At least he's honest, that was the major gripe with McGhee and Pardew

An honest areshole is better than a dishonest one, I concede.

And you gave to concede there's a HUGE difference between someone naturally accepting that if the unthinkable happens and they're offered, and someone who is going all out to try and make his interest known as he thinks it's possible, especially when he's doing so well with Brighton.

This can't be brushed under the carpet, no matter how much you like him.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Mar 2013 00:53

Deary me :lol:. Is saying 'I want to manage at the highest level someday' really sufficient cause to call him an arsehole?

The guy's ambitious, that can only be good for us. For him to even be considered for a top job like that he'll have had to have worked wonders for us, and then once he does leave we'll be able to appoint a new manager to carry on the philosophy built by Poyet (see example of Swansea).

The guy has shown he is capable of building a club up from the roots at Brighton, has excellent contacts, is a good tactician, and plays modern football. He's also motivated, passionate, and well respected in the game. If we do get him (which I still consider unlikely) then it will be a fantastic coup for the club and one in the eye for the Anton h8ers.

Some people just want to be negative.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Mar 2013 00:59

Why would Poyet wish to leave BHA? With ground capacity now approaching 30,000. Showing how it should be done.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Mar 2013 01:02

It's exciting I give you that, certainly INFINITELY more exciting than Eamo getting in. I definitely don't want to be negative. But can you blame me after what we have been through over the years? The men who betrayed us owed so much to us, yet were despicable. This guy will owe us nothing.

I do want to believe you, so I'm all up for positivity but to laugh it off as you are concerns me. You have to at least admit its a tiny concern, even if you are quite positive it will be ok in the end.

I know you're a good chap winch, so I don't want to flame you, and I certainly don't want to be dragging this up in several years. You of all ppl I don't want to be gloating at!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Mar 2013 01:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup It's exciting I give you that, certainly INFINITELY more exciting than Eamo getting in. I definitely don't want to be negative. But can you blame me after what we have been through over the years? The men who betrayed us owed so much to us, yet were despicable. This guy will owe us nothing.

I do want to believe you, so I'm all up for positivity but to laugh it off as you are concerns me. You have to at least admit its a tiny concern, even if you are quite positive it will be ok in the end.

I know you're a good chap winch, so I don't want to flame you, and I certainly don't want to be dragging this up in several years. You of all ppl I don't want to be gloating at!

Of course nobody wants to lose a successful manager, but if Poyet does come and gets us to a position where he is offered the Chelsea/Arsenal job then we'd be in for a fantastic 2/3 years and we'll have a real foothold to establish ourselves with the right appointment after that, like Swansea did with Laudroup. We're a small club, and any manager that brought that kind of success would have bigger admirers and would follow the same course of action. I'd worry about hiring any manager who wants Reading FC to be the pinnacle of his career, as that to me suggests a clinical lack of ambition.

Yes, if he joined then I'd prefer it if he didn't go round whoring himself out. But I don't think he's been doing that, and those are just a couple of quotes taken out of context.

We'll see I guess...this will most likely end up being a pointless discussion anyway.

150 posts