What's Adkins going to say after the Arsenal debacle

Gobsheik

Re: What's Adkins going to say after the Arsenal debacle

by Gobsheik » 30 Mar 2013 22:11

It 's gonna take us a long time to learn how to pass the ball properly!!!!!!!!!!

M27Royal

by M27Royal » 30 Mar 2013 22:20

Nigel There's only one way we can go and that's up.

Nice to see he fully understands how the English league system works!

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 30 Mar 2013 22:32

"Very Soon I will be more than half way up the longest serving list of current premiership managers"

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 30 Mar 2013 23:02

"Nobody told me they were that bad"

peeping bernal

by peeping bernal » 30 Mar 2013 23:12

After today I think I want to emulate your finest ever manager, Sir Steve and walk out after 16 days as this squad is dire. On the plus side you will get some money in for me as I am off to Sunderland.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 30 Mar 2013 23:23

We're probably at the wrong end of the table.

Hmm.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 00:25

I thought he spoke quite well tbh, still doesn't feel like our man though. Heart will always be with Southampton.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Mar 2013 00:30

St. Brynjar I thought he spoke quite well tbh, still doesn't feel like our man though. Heart will always be with Southampton.

I sensed that too but this has been a bit of a whirlwind for him & a bit weird for everyone concerned TBH. Once he settles in & gets his team together, I reckon he'll be right up for it in August.

Always weird starting a new job whoever you are. He'll settle soon enough. RFC have generally been a good club in that respect.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 31 Mar 2013 00:34

Arch "Listen" followed by something he wants us to listen to.

Always used to get on my nerves :lol:

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 00:39

MmmMonsterMunch
St. Brynjar I thought he spoke quite well tbh, still doesn't feel like our man though. Heart will always be with Southampton.

I sensed that too but this has been a bit of a whirlwind for him & a bit weird for everyone concerned TBH. Once he settles in & gets his team together, I reckon he'll be right up for it in August.

Always weird starting a new job whoever you are. He'll settle soon enough. RFC have generally been a good club in that respect.

I do hope you're right but a part of me feels he took the job for the guarrantee of funds & job security, and the location. Surely as a man who lived and breathed Southampton he must harbor some resentment for the team that robbed him of the title. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, I guess we've usually had managers coming from below or from within.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Mar 2013 00:50

St. Brynjar
MmmMonsterMunch

I do hope you're right but a part of me feels he took the job for the guarrantee of funds & job security, and the location. Surely as a man who lived and breathed Southampton he must harbor some resentment for the team that robbed him of the title. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, I guess we've usually had managers coming from below or from within.

Like Coppell did ?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 00:57

leon
St. Brynjar
MmmMonsterMunch I sensed that too but this has been a bit of a whirlwind for him & a bit weird for everyone concerned TBH. Once he settles in & gets his team together, I reckon he'll be right up for it in August.

Like Coppell did ?

Coppell came from the league below.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 31 Mar 2013 00:58

...because we stopped his team winning promotion. So what was your point again?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 02:01

IIRC Brighton & Reading were not involved in a promotion battle the year before Coppell came. We weren't his first club after Brentford. I didn't realise people on this forum hated each other so much!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Mar 2013 02:10

St. Brynjar IIRC Brighton & Reading were not involved in a promotion battle the year before Coppell came. We weren't his first club after Brentford. I didn't realise people on this forum hated each other so much!

Relax son. All I'm saying is that we've been in this position - ie a manager who'd been up against us in the past, and it all turned out OK.

percyisfreeman

by percyisfreeman » 31 Mar 2013 08:38

He will say, Can't wait till Reading play my real team next Saturday.Lambert goal scoring fest. :shock:

SaintNoddy

by SaintNoddy » 01 Apr 2013 23:41

Hi.

Feel free to tell me to Oxf*rd off at your leisure.

Another Soton fan here, I'm afraid. Nigel Adkins does tend to breed a great deal of goodwill from those whose clubs he has managed, but I've lurked here for a while anyway and you do seem more intelligent than many other message boards so thought I'd just add a little to how to interpret NA's press conferences.

Firstly, you'll have picked up on his continual reinforcement of message and positivity. You'll be sick of it in about 3 weeks or so. What you do have to do is listen for other things.

1/ What he doesn't say. E.g. he didn't say in his last interview that you have a team of honest, hardworking talented individuals. My reading of that is that he thinks there aren't too many good players among those he's inherited. He did concentrate on how good Arsenal were, but only to obviously deflect attention away from his inability to say much else. Otherwise he would have.

2/ He likes a challenge and to prove people wrong so he will bust a gut not only to bring you up (I assume you and QPR are now down) and keep you up, but have you doing well. He's very proud and extremely ambitious, too.

3/ If you catch him off-guard or at the end of an interview, sometimes he'll give something away. For example, I know he'll hate how deep you defend because he's been very critical of Saints when they used to do that. It will be interesting to see how he modifies his interview style. I think he will slightly.

4/ On a personal note, is it easy to email your club? I want to interview him about something non-football related cause he's intelligent so worth listening to on that particular subject. If it is hard, I'll just go through the LMA.

5/ One of the things that might be levelled as a criticism is that he might be a bit too much of a high-level thinker (he knows his stuff) so can't necessarily communicate with the less intelligent footballer.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 Apr 2013 23:41

The sharp intake of breath as we stumbled into their half of the pitch was not enough to take the ball over the line.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 02 Apr 2013 00:08

SaintNoddy Hi.

Another Soton fan here, I'm afraid. Nigel Adkins does tend to breed a great deal of goodwill from those whose clubs he has managed, but I've lurked here for a while anyway and you do seem more intelligent than many other message boards so thought I'd just add a little to how to interpret NA's press conferences.

Firstly, you'll have picked up on his continual reinforcement of message and positivity. You'll be sick of it in about 3 weeks or so. What you do have to do is listen for other things.

1/ What he doesn't say. E.g. he didn't say in his last interview that you have a team of honest, hardworking talented individuals. My reading of that is that he thinks there aren't too many good players among those he's inherited. He did concentrate on how good Arsenal were, but only to obviously deflect attention away from his inability to say much else. Otherwise he would have.

2/ He likes a challenge and to prove people wrong so he will bust a gut not only to bring you up (I assume you and QPR are now down) and keep you up, but have you doing well. He's very proud and extremely ambitious, too.

3/ If you catch him off-guard or at the end of an interview, sometimes he'll give something away. For example, I know he'll hate how deep you defend because he's been very critical of Saints when they used to do that. It will be interesting to see how he modifies his interview style. I think he will slightly.

4/ On a personal note, is it easy to email your club? I want to interview him about something non-football related cause he's intelligent so worth listening to on that particular subject. If it is hard, I'll just go through the LMA.

5/ One of the things that might be levelled as a criticism is that he might be a bit too much of a high-level thinker (he knows his stuff) so can't necessarily communicate with the less intelligent footballer.

What was his budget in league 1 and the championship, and how many players did he have to buy to make you play attractive football that was effective?? In addition to that how good were Saints at passing before he came in??

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 02 Apr 2013 08:01

SaintNoddy Hi.

Very interesting ,he can't win at the moment ( bad pun ) what ever says gets pounced on but I feel given time he'll have a big clear out then move forward with his team , thanks for the input Saint