McCleary - 7
Guthrie - 7
Karacan - 6
Hunt - 7
Pogrebnyak - 6

Carrico - 8 (superb performance)
Blackman - 6
Le Fondre - 6

McCarthy simply brilliant. I'll add more when I can gather my thoughts!

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Liverpool

by LightwaterRoyal » 13 Apr 2013 17:06

McCarthy - 10
Gunter - 7
Morrison - 6
Mariappa - 7
Kelly - 5
McAnuff - 9
McCleary - 8
Guthrie - 7
Karacan - 5
Hunt - 7
Pogrebnyak - 6

Carrico - 8
Blackman - 6
Le Fondre - 6

McCarthy simply brilliant. I'll add more when I can gather my thoughts![/quote]

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 13 Apr 2013 17:07

mccarthy-10
gunter-7
mariappa-8
morrison-7
kelley-7
mcanuff-8
karacan-7
mccleary-8
guthrie-8
hunt-7
pog-7

subs:
carrico-8
blackman-5
alfie-6

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Apr 2013 17:11

Enjoyed. Shape was excellent. Individual errors holding us back but real positive signs for the future. Love Adkins' energy on the touchline.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2013 17:12

On a wave of optimism I'll chuck this out there.

As a whole we were empty shirts first half with the exception of McCarthy. Much better second half. Basically, just take one mark off everyone except Karacan for the first half performance. Oh and 2 off Guthrie.

McCarthy - 10 MotM. Not much to say really. Not only did he pull off save after save, his positioning was impecable and he held shots he had no real right to keep out.
Gunter - 6 poor first half better second.
Kelly - 7 ok first half, one very good cross, decent second
Mariappa - 6 not great, but not bad.
Morrison - 6 same as Maps, both gave the ball away too much.
Karacan - 4 utterly anonymous
Guthrie - 7 terrible passing first half, much much better when Carrico came on
McCleary - 6 ok, some poor decision making and I don't feel he really threatened much
McAnuff - 7.5 poor decisions for both penalty shouts (neither were) but a (limited) threat all game and so very nearly scored
Hunt - 6 worked hard
Pog - 6 worked hard

Carrico - 8 thank fuk he's fit.
Blackman - 6 some poor decision making and crossing
ALF - 6 Liverpool came back into it so he got no service

My goodness. We almost looked like we had some belief and quality second half. Polish it a little and we might win a couple of games. Carrico and McCarthy, first names on the team sheet from now on.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Apr 2013 17:12

Roll on August...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Apr 2013 17:13

WOW

Back from watching the game. Whilst Liverpool were better I have to say this is the first time I've seen us actually play football this season. We actually looked like a football side playing football against a better football side, instead of a last-gasp hoofer-battling Sunday league side way out of our depth hanging on and praying for Kebe or Alfie. BIg change, very positive!!! Shame we're going down but I'm liking the change!!

McCarthy 9.5 no comment needed. (Stranded 3 times or would be a 10. )
Gunter 6.5 shaky start but actually didn't do too badly against a very good side
Morrison 7 solid enough, pity about the injury
Maps 7 more solid, used his pace well.
Kelly 7 considering n the wrong position. I have to say I'm DELIGHTED Adkins isn't even entertaining the idea of the liability that is Harte. Thank God for Askins having a brain. I can't wait till we get a proper left back and put Kelly in his strongest position
McAnuff 8 excellent excellent performance all over the place. One of the only players who looked like doing anything for us.
Guthrie 6.5 a bit anonymous a lot of the time, tried passes that worked, some didn't but that's what we should, expect as we change style. I'm glad he started even though I dislike him.
Karacan 6 not bad, not great, but looks like he's getting back to best
McCleary 6.5 started slowly but grew into the game. Promising
Pog 6.5 as above started slowly but grew into the game. Fantastic run and cross for Hunt's unlucky effort, our best of the game.
Hunt 8.5. Brilliant brilliant performance. Worked his socks off. This lad was everywhere, winning headers, making things happen. Seemed to get a knock that slowed him down. Will be immense in the championship, I really don't want to see him go. He still looks like Gollum though, or he'd have got a 9.

Alfie 6 not bad but not much impact
Blackman 6 actually didn't do too badly. Used to look out of place but seemed to fit. Promising.
Carico - 7.5 very promising. I counted no less than THREE monumental tackles, looked comfy on the ball. Very very promising indeed.

Fans 2. Morgue. My Southbank >>>>>> all of you guys.

Adkins 8 good substitutions and tactical switches at the right times. Well done for starting 442. Very good.

Sadly were going down but overall a VERY positive performance where we actually look like a half decent side

NIGEL ADKINS' BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divvy

by Divvy » 13 Apr 2013 17:14

Carrico was excellent and if fully fit should be a starter, no doubt.

McCarthy absolutely superb and rightly MOTM.

Much better football. Passing and movement, which we haven't seen for a long time. It's going to take time but we were so much more effective today. Lots to look forward to I think!

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 13 Apr 2013 17:16

Divvy Carrico was excellent and if fully fit should be a starter, no doubt.

McCarthy absolutely superb and rightly MOTM.

Much better football. Passing and movement, which we haven't seen for a long time. It's going to take time but we were so much more effective today. Lots to look forward to I think!

Agree we looked very good at times.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 13 Apr 2013 17:27

McCarthy 10
Kelly 7
Morrison 7
Mariappa 7
Gunter 7
McAnuff 7.5
McCleary 6.5
Guthrie 7
Karacan 5
Hunt 7
Pogs 6

Le Fondre 5
Carrico 8
Blackman 6

Good overall team performance with McCarthy and Carrico that stand out. McAnuff worked hard but I was a little frustrated with him running to the box and not passing or shooting, then lost the ball. He would of got an 8 otherwise

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 13 Apr 2013 17:31

We're last on MOTD (again)

RedRum

by RedRum » 13 Apr 2013 17:32

Anyone who doesn't think McCarthy deserves a 10 rating need their head checked.
Single handedly kept L'pool from scoring 3/4 today and one of the best goalkeeping performances I have ever seen.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 13 Apr 2013 17:37

blueroyals We're last on MOTD (again)

What do you expect with a 0-0?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Apr 2013 17:38

[quote="winchester_royal"]Enjoyed. Shape was excellent. Individual errors holding us back but real positive signs for the future. Love Adkins' energy on the touchline.[/quote]

Yeah, this, including Adkins who lived and breathed every minute of it.

That was a very refreshing performance, it showed what this squad of players can do and I feel much more positive about next season now.

Already getting a semi- for the Guthrie/Carrico midfield. I thought Guthrie was anonymous for 25 minutes but once we came into the game so did he. Some good tackles too and covered the pitch again. Carrico - very impressed. Has Brian left us a little gem here? Great passing, very comfortable on the ball and influenced the game; Gerrard had the run of it until Carrico came on and added a new dimension. A couple of robust challenges too. We absolutely did not miss Leigertwood.

But never mind the midfield. I posted recently that Hammond v Cardiff was the best Reading goalkeeper's display I've ever seen; that has been eclipsed now. Adkins no.1 job this summer is to ensure we keep hold of this guy. Simply phenomenal, McCarthy looked in total command in his box and some of those saves were world class. Who cares if Feds' kicking is better?

Overall I've left the game feeling good, for only the second time this season. I think/hope we are seeing Adkins imprint already, and it is a positive one.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 13 Apr 2013 17:38

AirRaidSiren
blueroyals We're last on MOTD (again)

What do you expect with a 0-0?

I didn't say I expected anything m8

Don't get your knickers in a twist

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 13 Apr 2013 17:38

McCarthy - 10

Gunter - 5
Mariappa - 6
Morrison - 6
Kelly - 7

Karacan - 6
Guthrie - 7

McCleary - 7
McAnuff - 8
Hunt - 7

Pogrebnyak - 7

Carrico - 8/9
Blackman - 6
Alf - 6

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 13 Apr 2013 17:39

That was genuinely one of the best goalkeeping performances I have ever seen. Well done Pepe Reina. :D
Seriously your 'keeper was brilliant today.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Apr 2013 17:40

Anfield Kopite That was genuinely one of the best goalkeeping performances I have ever seen. Well done Pepe Reina. :D

Nice to see your fans setting their usual caveman standards at the game today. Now this game is over with & we've mourned the 96 can you fcuk off?

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 13 Apr 2013 17:41

Anfield Kopite That was genuinely one of the best goalkeeping performances I have ever seen. Well done Pepe Reina. :D

i was just wondering where the hell you were to put your two cents in. :D

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 13 Apr 2013 17:41

* McCarthy - 10

Gunter - 7
Morrison - 7
Mariappa - 8
Kelly - 7

McAnuff - 8
McCleary - 7
Guthrie - 7
Karacan - 6

Hunt - 8
Pogrebnyak - 7

Carrico - 8
Blackman - 6
Le Fondre - 6

* Man of the match

I thought Alex McCarthy was brilliant today. He couldn't have been blamed had 4-5 of those shots went in. He really was immense. For such a tall keeper, he gets down a lot quicker than Adam Federici too. For me he is clearly our first choice keeper, and after that performance it's difficult to see a way back in for Federici before the end of the season.

We started to play some good football late in the first half, and especially in the second half. We grew in confidence the longer the game stayed at nil nil. Yes we saw a few too many misplaced passes, but that is to be expected. The pleasing thing for me was watching the players try! They were passing and moving, trying to create space, and it came off more than it didn't. These last few games will be good for Nigel Adkins and Andy Crosby to work with these players before heading into the summer break and then looking to bring in some new players, as well as moving on those that are too highly paid, and those that perhaps don't suit the new system. It'll make for an interesting summer.

I was delighted with everyone today, but especially for Daniel Carrico. He was excellent when he came on. He clearly wanted to prove a point, but also fight for the cause. He tidied up at the back well, and threw himself into a few tackles. For me he enough in that short spell to warrant being selected ahead of Mikele Leigertwood, who to be fair, has had more than his fair share of chances this season. I'd certainly like to see more of him before the season finishes.

Overall a fantastic result. It's been a long time since I came away from the Madejski Stadium feeling a sense of pride and satisfaction from our performance.

195 posts