Nogan's done well, he's done really well

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Nogan's done well, he's done really well

by Royalclapper » 28 May 2013 10:57

Absolute sickener of a game.

Walking back after the match you knew the worst thing of all was knowing you'd have to live with the memory of witnessing that epic game from our perspective. I swear I'll never fully recover from that afternoon.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2013 11:05

Royalclapper Absolute sickener of a game.

Walking back after the match you knew the worst thing of all was knowing you'd have to live with the memory of witnessing that epic game from our perspective. I swear I'll never fully recover from that afternoon.

Me too - I genuinely thought that was our only shot at getting into the Prem.

It did, however, make reaching the premiership all the more sweeter. I'm not ashamed to admit when the final whistle blew at Leicester I burst into tears and uncontrollably sobbed for a good 10 minutes. I think that was a release of over 10 years of hurt.

As for the prem, it was a bit like pulling a stunner in a night club and finding she's a completely unreasonable mentalist.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 May 2013 11:38

Mad John after Williams scores the second. Genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoMzVhHV ... 7EDACCAE4D

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 28 May 2013 12:19

I totally, totally relate and concur to the nauseating feeling of that defeat.

I didn't sleep for 2 months. Kept dreaming we had won only to wake each following morning with reality beating down on me like a bunch of drunk Frenchmen doing the congo in my head.

It felt worse than being dumped.

Hideous.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 May 2013 12:55

Royal With Cheese As for the prem, it was a bit like pulling a stunner in a night club and finding she's a completely unreasonable mentalist.

Then going back again to find she's even worse than before and not even an enjoyable ride any more

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 May 2013 15:33

Terminal Boardom One of the best goals scored at Wembley.

Agreed

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 28 May 2013 17:11

My most devastating experience ever as a Reading fan. You just knew that the team would break up. To be honest, I thought we would get relegated the following season - and it was close.

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 28 May 2013 17:17

genuinely believe if we had got promoted we would have stayed up for at least a season, as the football we played was good, and no one would have liked coming to elm park on a miserable January evening !

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 28 May 2013 17:28

Harrydog genuinely believe if we had got promoted we would have stayed up for at least a season, as the football we played was good, and no one would have liked coming to elm park on a miserable January evening !

I heard that if we went up then we would have ground-shared with QPR

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 28 May 2013 18:29

Only time I've ever left a ground in tears (apart from Leicester a few years later, but they were tears of joy). I remember travelling back to the Midlands, and pulling into the M40 services for a piss, only to find it rammed with Bolton fans!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2013 18:32

Uke
Royal With Cheese As for the prem, it was a bit like pulling a stunner in a night club and finding she's a completely unreasonable mentalist.

Then going back again to find she's even worse than before and not even an enjoyable ride any more

And she's given you a dose.

Not nice.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 28 May 2013 20:51

Got back to Reading after the game feeling totally deflated, decided to drown my sorrows in town before getting the 11.00 bus back to Southcote where I lived at the time..only to find it was a bank holiday and the last one left at 10.30 , ended up walking home in the pouring rain, just about summed the day up for me.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 28 May 2013 21:58

Ark Royal My most devastating experience ever as a Reading fan. You just knew that the team would break up. To be honest, I thought we would get relegated the following season - and it was close.

Never been on a quieter train on the way home. We where mugged :cry:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 28 May 2013 22:06

windermere_royal Got back to Reading after the game feeling totally deflated, decided to drown my sorrows in town before getting the 11.00 bus back to Southcote where I lived at the time..only to find it was a bank holiday and the last one left at 10.30 , ended up walking home in the pouring rain, just about summed the day up for me.

When we got back to my uncle's car after the Play-off final defeat against Walsall in Cardiff, we found he had a punctured tyre.
That sort of deflation summed up that day perfectly for me.

Apologies for wrong play-off final

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 May 2013 22:16

Royal With Cheese
As for the prem, it was a bit like pulling a stunner in a night club and finding she's a completely unreasonable mentalist.

This, without doubt, is THE best quote ever by a Nobber. The perfect simile.... or is it a metaphor? After Palace won yesterday I posted on his FaceyB: "Enjoy tonight, try and enjoy next season but you don't need me to tell you the Primmadonnaship isn't much fun." His reply: "We don't care. We need the loot." Sums it up really.

BTW, '95:

Nogin - one of the best ever goals at Wembley - and I lived in the flat above his in Watford. Good chap but shy, and his brother Kurt was quite a lad.
McAteer - had already been booked and should have gone for the handball.
Thompson and DeFreitas ripped a new one in the second half.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2013 22:21

That game was my first ever and I had no idea what the consequences of losing really were. I just assumed we'd go up the next season at the time in my teenage naivity. Made for a less bad day mind.

Although watching the side get dismantled and fight relegation for a couple of seasons after was a bit of a let down.

Absolute worst would have to be Walsall at Cardiff for me. I was experienced enough to know what was going on by then and it was at a level where we were one of the big boys not an overachieving minnow.

Wembley 2 started awfully, but the come back kinda put that atrocious first half out of my mind a fair bit and it was just a case of a little too far to come back from. Besides, I thought Swansea were a certainty to win anyway. So that wasn't too bad in the end for me.

Oh and I'll second Sogs call: HANDBALL FFS