Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by John Smith » 15 Nov 2018 13:51

Forbury Lion
3points And they can talk about our kit. I thought they had about 30 players on the pitch as I kept seeing the stewards orange jackets in the corner of my eye. A full hi-viz orange is not a good look imo
Maybe their opponents have the same issue, in which case there might be a tactical reason for the kit colour.

True. We did have that kit last year though...

I'm quite enjoying being one of the more hated clubs in the league/country. Sort of like the anti-Millwall as it were

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Nov 2018 14:00

Same. I've always thought we should embrace our "Tinpot" tag. I love how wound up other fans get by our shit support. My dream is that we beat Leeds at Elland Road, with no more than 100 Reading fans in attendance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Nov 2018 14:20

Pepe the Horseman Same. I've always thought we should embrace our "Tinpot" tag. I love how wound up other fans get by our shit support. My dream is that we beat Leeds at Elland Road, with no more than 100 Reading fans in attendance.

That happened last year IIRC

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Nov 2018 14:29

genome
Pepe the Horseman Same. I've always thought we should embrace our "Tinpot" tag. I love how wound up other fans get by our shit support. My dream is that we beat Leeds at Elland Road, with no more than 100 Reading fans in attendance.

That happened last year IIRC

434 last year. Surely we can beat that this year. Cold Tuesday night, on the telly.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Nov 2018 14:50

+1, I enjoy how we are so irrelevant other fans find the time to point out how irrelevant we are.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2018 18:58

John Smith Portman Road is pretty good to be fair. Like a shit St James's Park: town centre location, walking distance from the station with a good away pub. The view is poor though and it's way overpriced but I could imagine it would be good for a home fan.

I wonder how much they will be charging next season?

I love the fact that it's good qualities are a pub which has nothing to do with it and town centre location which is basically impossible for any modern stadium in decent area.

Facilities? Views? Asthetics? Staff? No, is there a decent boozer nearby. :roll:

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 15 Nov 2018 20:49

Hendo
oldebiscuit
Hendo
1) obsessed much?
2) Peacocks? - never heard Leeds called that before? :?:

I would imagine that you've never heard reading called 'The Biscuitmen' either?

Nope, for someone who has about 5 generations of family living in the Reading area, 2 generations before me (that I know of) having season tickets at Elm Park and having a keen interest in history, I never knew that Reading used to be called the Biscuitmen.

But you carry on making your assumptions.

5 generations in the area and a keen interest in history? And you never knew of the Biscuitmen. You’re dave royal really aren’t you?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Nov 2018 23:16

oldebiscuit
Hendo
oldebiscuit

Nope, for someone who has about 5 generations of family living in the Reading area, 2 generations before me (that I know of) having season tickets at Elm Park and having a keen interest in history, I never knew that Reading used to be called the Biscuitmen.

5 generations in the area and a keen interest in history? And you never knew of the Biscuitmen. You’re dave royal really aren’t you?

:|

Just did a quick bit of research and it seems as though the nickname The Peacocks for Leeds Unitied is virtually obsolete, for a non-Leeds fan to not know that, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 16 Nov 2018 23:17

Hendo
oldebiscuit
Hendo

Just did a quick bit of research and it seems as though the nickname The Peacocks for Leeds Unitied is virtually obsolete, for a non-Leeds fan to not know that, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch.

Confirmed........You’re dave royal.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Nov 2018 20:41

oldebiscuit
Hendo
oldebiscuit

Confirmed........You’re dave royal.

Cool, first I’m hearing about it, but carry on.

Just FTR - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_club_nicknames_in_the_United_Kingdom

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Nov 2018 10:00

oldebiscuit
Hendo
oldebiscuit

Peacocks; wouldn't expect a non-Leeds fan to know that off the bat.
But not being aware of The Biscuitmen?

It's like not knowing how Hob Nob Anyone? got its name...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Nov 2018 10:32

I still wish we were called The Biscuitmen. Who decided to switch to the Royals? Supporters? Chairman?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Nov 2018 10:38

John Smith I'm quite enjoying being one of the more hated clubs in the league/country. Sort of like the anti-Millwall as it were

I don't think we are one of the more hated clubs.

It's simply a case of emotional little darlings wailing about something they think justifies them being upset as opposed to being upset by us beating them (or getting an "undeserved" draw").

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 Nov 2018 11:15

Zip I still wish we were called The Biscuitmen. Who decided to switch to the Royals? Supporters? Chairman?

I think the club decided to change mid 1970's as Huntley and Palmers moved more and more of their business away from the area to Liverpool I believe. I am sure there was a call to fans in a match day programme from the time for suggestions, but I've no idea who exactly came up with The Royals in the end.

I also believe (stand to be corrected) we were The Lions for one or two seasons (after the Forbury Lion) and there was a pic of it on the cover of the match day programme for a couple of seasons...

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 Nov 2018 12:02

Platypuss
oldebiscuit
Hendo

terrible name tbf

but do like that it has spawned

nobbers, nobbing etc

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Nov 2018 13:59

Mid Sussex Royal
Zip I still wish we were called The Biscuitmen. Who decided to switch to the Royals? Supporters? Chairman?

I think the club decided to change mid 1970's as Huntley and Palmers moved more and more of their business away from the area to Liverpool I believe. I am sure there was a call to fans in a match day programme from the time for suggestions, but I've no idea who exactly came up with The Royals in the end.

I also believe (stand to be corrected) we were The Lions for one or two seasons (after the Forbury Lion) and there was a pic of it on the cover of the match day programme for a couple of seasons...

Thanks for that.

The Cube

by The Cube » 18 Nov 2018 14:32

Reading were never known as The Lions, despite the picture of the Maiwand Lion on the front cover of the programme. However, there was a gap between the club announcing there would be a new nickname and then actually adopting one. During that gap a number of possible nicknames were floated, and Lions might have been one of them.

The only other suggestion I remember was The Rs. At Elm Park there were occasional shouts by one elderly (*) man of "Come on you Rs", with over-emphasis on the last word and no hint of a "z" in the pronounciation. This was followed by laughter from all around. Took me some years to get the joke.

(*) - probably mid-20s, but you have to allow for my own age at the time...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Nov 2018 15:36

Platypuss
oldebiscuit
Hendo

Peacocks; wouldn't expect a non-Leeds fan to know that off the bat.
But not being aware of The Biscuitmen?

A-thank-you

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 18 Nov 2018 16:36

We should change nickname again when the Queen dies.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 18 Nov 2018 16:53

An eye-witness told me recently that a selection of names (generated by supporters through a local paper appeal) was put before Charlie Hurley (of all people) in 1976 and he thought The Royals would be a good idea - and no more thought or consultation went into it than that, sadly.

The Lions was apparently a straw man suggestion and the Blues and the R's were amongst the candidates. The R's was in unofficial use at the time - the Biscuitmen not exactly tripping off the tongue. URZ therefore does have an ancient link.

4464 posts