Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by bobby1413 » 16 Aug 2017 11:58

Nameless Quite amusing that the Villa fans were pointing out a few empty seats in the home areas while seeming to be oblivous of the empty seats in the away end.

I never get this though

Aston villa sold out near to 4000 tickets (or whatever that stand holds) on a Tuesday night. We had thousands upon thousands of empty seats at home.

So I don't get how fans are cockily pointing back that they have about 50 empty seats in their packed away end.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 16 Aug 2017 12:00

bobby1413 I never get this though

I don't get, at all, how on earth how many seats you've sold is a matter of pride for football fans. Weird lot.

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 16 Aug 2017 12:06

Nameless
muirinho
CountryRoyal
Still is shit.

Paul McShane My Lord
Terry's shit My Lord

And of course they sang Empty Seats My Lord at the start, and we sang it back when they all started leaving.

Best interaction with away fans I can remember for a while, as it was actually witty at times.

Quite amusing that the Villa fans were pointing out a few empty seats in the home areas while seeming to be oblivous of the empty seats in the away end.
File under utterly pointless songs.
Will Villa Park be sold out every other week ? Presumably only if they get Take That booked for a run of concerts...

Their top tier at Villa park wasn't even open last year...

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Aug 2017 16:01

26-10-06
Nameless
muirinho Paul McShane My Lord
Terry's shit My Lord

And of course they sang Empty Seats My Lord at the start, and we sang it back when they all started leaving.

Best interaction with away fans I can remember for a while, as it was actually witty at times.

Quite amusing that the Villa fans were pointing out a few empty seats in the home areas while seeming to be oblivous of the empty seats in the away end.
File under utterly pointless songs.
Will Villa Park be sold out every other week ? Presumably only if they get Take That booked for a run of concerts...

Their top tier at Villa park wasn't even open last year...

I reckon after last night there will be plenty of empty seats at VP on Saturday.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Aug 2017 19:27

bobby1413
Nameless Quite amusing that the Villa fans were pointing out a few empty seats in the home areas while seeming to be oblivous of the empty seats in the away end.

I never get this though

Aston villa sold out near to 4000 tickets (or whatever that stand holds) on a Tuesday night. We had thousands upon thousands of empty seats at home.

So I don't get how fans are cockily pointing back that they have about 50 empty seats in their packed away end.

Simples!

Because, unlike Villa fans, our support doesn't claim to be one of the country's biggest and best clubs with a fantastic history of winning trophies etc. If Villa are as their fans claim, every single seat should have gone in that away end.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2017 19:47

NewCorkSeth I quite liked the "Readings shit, we're going home" followed by the "why are you still here then"

Disclaimer: these might not be the actual words sung. The gist is there.

"I wanna go home, I wanna go home, Reading's / this is a shit hole, I wanna go home."

"Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, back to your shit hole, why don't you go home?"

Which is fair enough really. You made the effort to come over, then you complain about it but go nowhere. Pcunts.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Aug 2017 19:50

bobby1413

I never get this though

In fairness, in the premier league they sang it as us, even though the games were sold out (and they weren't selling out).

As a comeback it did work far better towards the end, when many of their fans had left early.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2017 20:04

If Reading's a sh*thole they are really going to enjoy their trips to Burton, Preston, Millwall, Sunderland, Middlesbrough etc etc

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2017 20:48

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I quite liked the "Readings shit, we're going home" followed by the "why are you still here then"

"I wanna go home, I wanna go home, Reading's / this is a shit hole, I wanna go home."

"Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, back to your shit hole, why don't you go home?"

Which is fair enough really. You made the effort to come over, then you complain about it but go nowhere. Pcunts.

Thanks! In the moment I really enjoyed the song but when typing I completely blanked.
The atmosphere seemed spurred on the by the Villa fans in the first half. (On stream) it seemed to be great.
Much better than Fulham singing "is this a library".. I was hoping when I heard that we would have copied the brilliant Arsenal response of "sssssshhhhhh" in a loud whisper.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 16 Aug 2017 21:50

I liked when the Villa fans sang 'John Terry, he's won more than you' and it was then immediately sung back at them.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Aug 2017 07:26

MoorgateRoyal I liked when the Villa fans sang 'John Terry, he's won more than you' and it was then immediately sung back at them.

I was hoping we'd sing "Jaap Stam.. he's won more than you"

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Aug 2017 08:26

Football fans in banal songs shocker

ChickenClucker

by ChickenClucker » 17 Aug 2017 09:15

Hound If Reading's a sh*thole they are really going to enjoy their trips to Burton, Preston, Millwall, Sunderland, Middlesbrough etc etc

At this rate John Terry best look forward to Highbury - not that one though... Fleetwood Town. He will also be gracing the pitch at the wonderfully named Cherry Red Records Stadium next season. Haha, twunt

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 17 Aug 2017 20:09

Snowflake Royal

I think the one he is referring to is 'Why the fcuk are you still here?'

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 19 Aug 2017 07:01

"We ought to have really scored with the Green chance and after that, stopped pressing.

Reading have a way of playing, they’re nowhere near good enough to execute it the way Stam would like and that is by and large due to their personnel. Chief weakness is their back 5, none of whom are comfortable on the ball under pressure, as nobody in this league is good enough to beat the press.

Instead of playing three up top we adopted a 4411, which soon became 10 players in our own half and poor old Hogan somewhere doing an impression of Tom Hanks on a desert island. The least we could do is get him a volley ball and some paint so he can draw himself a face and a friend for company. 

Green became an auxiliary full back, as did Thor. De Laet and Taylor tucked in, to the point they became very narrow and in fairness, the gap for Reading was none existent. I presume there was a fear of Barrow, but fear gripped the way the side retreated full stop first half.

You must, categorically must, play a three or a two up top and have your front 3 or 4 press their back four, as McShane and co. are not Man bloody City or Barca, they’re jobbing 2nd division muck who will, if under no pressure, be capable of switching a ball side to side. You must have your midfield push onto their deep lying midfielder and make them do what they did not want to last season, which is look for the long diagonal. Make it a percentage ball.

We did not do any of that, we let them have it, get comfortable, build confidence. Yes they only had two chances, one of which was from a blatant foul on Hourihane, but momentum in sport is key. They had it, as ineffectual as they were and we had the wrong kind.

Second half was worse. The first goal De Laet gets caught out, as he presses on his own into the wing position and they’re in behind. The goal was hugely unfortunate, the Reading player is crossing the ball back towards the edge of the box. The second however is criminal.

We’ve adopted a quasi zonal/ man marking system and to have a player unmarked 8 yards out, pass it to a player3 yards out is shocking. 
A good goal from us, but you sensed it was that false hope we sometimes like to provide. Green went close mind. But 5 minutes of a game, although enough to win you a European Cup, is not usually enough time to do anything at all.

Hourihane should be in and around the opposition box. He can and will score goals. Its no use being deeper than the Mariana Trench.

It’s a confidence thing with Green, he’s powerful and direct. When picking the ball up somewhere close to the box, where he should, he has an effect. Hacking the ball to nobody 20 yards from our goal and he looks poor. 

Whelan looks off since his ill fated dummy at Hull.

Hogan, we may as well not bother if we’re not getting close.

Terry isn’t doing all the snidey parts of the game that I thought he would. There’s nothing wrong defensively, but its not clear whether this is impacting Chester whose form the past two games has been rank. That can happen I suppose.

The biggest worry is that we lack a template or an identity as to how we’re going to go about winning this game. Its hard to see that changing away from home."

Fair enough assessment and interesting observations of our weaknesses.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:07:53 AM by Ads »

darren woolleyplayer managerPosts: 19953Location: London

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2017 09:33

^^ some truths there but the standard "we lost because we were shit not because they were good" bollocks.

Our two goals were awful to concede but there's was a good? They only scored because we'd completely taken our foot off (which we shouldn't have). There was no one near Hourihanne.

Don't get me wrong, Villa were awful and we won't get too many teams come here this season that afford us the luxury of playing like that.

Would have a harder game against Tranmere.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 19 Aug 2017 10:13

Will be very interested to see how we cope with a Preston penchant for a high press.
How comfortable we look then should be quite revealing .
Fingers crossed.
It would be good to feel comfortable watching Reading occasionally.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 19 Aug 2017 10:45

According to GR, it would seem that these opposition fans, on the way back from the game, were involved in a 'squabble'. The squabbling fans are wanted by Thames Valley Police for disturbing public order.

A group of football fans are wanted by police after a ruckus between Reading and Fulham supporters.

Between 15 and 20 men, believed to be a mixture of supporters of the clubs that clashed at the Madejski Stadium that day, were involved in a number of physical and verbal altercations.

Police officers are urging anyone who filmed the commotion in Station Approach,outside Reading train station , at around 7.15pm on Saturday, August 12 to contact them.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 19 Aug 2017 11:44

The Cap According to GR, it would seem that these opposition fans, on the way back from the game, were involved in a 'squabble'. The squabbling fans are wanted by Thames Valley Police for disturbing public order.

A group of football fans are wanted by police after a ruckus between Reading and Fulham supporters.

Between 15 and 20 men, believed to be a mixture of supporters of the clubs that clashed at the Madejski Stadium that day, were involved in a number of physical and verbal altercations.

Police officers are urging anyone who filmed the commotion in Station Approach,outside Reading train station , at around 7.15pm on Saturday, August 12 to contact them.

I did laugh at the word "squabble"

It "kicked off" in Putney last time didn't it as well?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Aug 2017 11:47

The Cap According to GR, it would seem that these opposition fans, on the way back from the game, were involved in a 'squabble'. The squabbling fans are wanted by Thames Valley Police for disturbing public order.

There is evidence that the altercations were insued once one man struck another's head with a rolled up copy of the Telegraph, whilst another man shouted, apologetically, "Waitrose is better than Sainsbury's".

4486 posts