Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
WAZZOCK

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by WAZZOCK » 10 Mar 2017 07:30

Fair play to Newcaslte for selling the tickets, but realistically it was always going to happen.

If I remember correctly, we've had two other matches in the past 12 months where the team have sold out the South Stand - Palace and Villa. Both of these clubs were significantly louder than the Toon Army, and I'm sure when Leeds appear on the 1st they will be too.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed with them.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 10 Mar 2017 07:44

WAZZOCK Fair play to Newcaslte for selling the tickets, but realistically it was always going to happen.

If I remember correctly, we've had two other matches in the past 12 months where the team have sold out the South Stand - Palace and Villa. Both of these clubs were significantly louder than the Toon Army, and I'm sure when Leeds appear on the 1st they will be too.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed with them.

I'd agree with all of that.

I was slightly disappointed with Palace too actually when they played us in the cup. I thought they'd be more boisterous based on their reputation at home.

Villa were very loud I thought, even before they scored.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 10 Mar 2017 09:20

WAZZOCK Fair play to Newcaslte for selling the tickets, but realistically it was always going to happen.

Tickets went to general sale and I know of at least 2 southern Newcastle fans who took 3 non supporting mates along in the away end. I wonder if many did that.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Mar 2017 09:29

I was down in Y19 so I don't know if that's a factor but yeah I was also fairly disappointed with them. A couple of loud bursts when they were putting the pressure on but other than that I didn't really hear them.

TBF, I couldn't really hear our fans in Y25/26 from that angle either. The North Stand/lower reaches of the East Stand atmosphere really is dead as fcuk by the way.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 Mar 2017 12:44

genome TBF, I couldn't really hear our fans in Y25/26 from that angle either. The North Stand/lower reaches of the East Stand atmosphere really is dead as fcuk by the way.

Having relocated to the ED Stand this season to accommodate my eldest, I can confirm that Tuesday night was significantly better in that area of the ground than during any other match this season...which tells you all you need to know about why I hate sitting there.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Mar 2017 13:14

I thought Newcastle were reasonably loud, but then I was sat above them in the Upper West. Y25 opposite seemed quite quiet in comparison but I guess they were further away.

I thought we played well on Tuesday and have definitely seen worse scoreless draws. The game seemed to pass by quite quickly which is usually a sign it's a good match. Thought the ref was good, as again, he went unnoticed and nothing controversial happened in the game.

I personally really like our possession based approach, and it is a few personnel away from making us a really good side. Need a version of Kermie that is seven or eight years younger with an injection of pace but that ain't gonna come cheap! as I think Hndbags has said the tempo needs to be upped which comes down to the quality of the players we currently have. I feel it is more likely to make us follow the Southampton and Swansea routes if we do manage to get up than, as much as I love MacD and he had his hands tied recruitment wise, our last brief top flight stay.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Mar 2017 13:17

Plus, the difference between the first and second tier in terms of quality levels would have meant that headed chance Grabban had in the first minute would have been converted.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Mar 2017 14:36

Mr Optimist Plus, the difference between the first and second tier in terms of quality levels would have meant that headed chance Grabban had in the first minute would have been converted.

How do we actually test for this

seems to be another Shearer style cliche

no doubt they should convert more

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Mar 2017 14:51

BR0B0T
Mr Optimist Plus, the difference between the first and second tier in terms of quality levels would have meant that headed chance Grabban had in the first minute would have been converted.

I guess what I am clumsily trying to say is from past experience of watching our sometimes miserable top flight existence is that if the chance had been for the opposition like that in the premier league chances are the other team would have buried it. A defender slips, let's say Rosenior, the vast majority of times at the highest level it ends up in the back of your net. In the second division you can get away with the odd slip of let off a lot more frequently, which is probably why, great player that he is, Liam Moore is now playing for us and not Leicester any more. If we want to go up we have to convert that chance on Tuesday night because as it proved that turned out to be the best chance we had in the game.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Mar 2017 15:10

Mr Optimist
BR0B0T

I guess what I am clumsily trying to say is from past experience of watching our sometimes miserable top flight existence is that if the chance had been for the opposition like that in the premier league chances are the other team would have buried it. A defender slips, let's say Rosenior, the vast majority of times at the highest level it ends up in the back of your net. In the second division you can get away with the odd slip of let off a lot more frequently, which is probably why, great player that he is, Liam Moore is now playing for us and not Leicester any more. If we want to go up we have to convert that chance on Tuesday night because as it proved that turned out to be the best chance we had in the game.

Sorry wasn't having a go...things like this interest me

it's just something that's tricky to test for

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Mar 2017 17:43

BR0B0T
Mr Optimist
BR0B0T

Sorry wasn't having a go...things like this interest me

it's just something that's tricky to test for

Interesting - as it matches what I was thinking about Jake Cooper the other day. If you have a few mistakes in you, per game, it helps if you're playing in a a league where they are less likely to be capitalised on.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 17 Mar 2017 22:18

From Owls forum..

All football fans are the same...

Posted 22 minutes ago
I suppose the Sheffield Titanic just hit the iceberg of expectation. We have managed something others have failed to do. Taken top class strikers and rendered them unable to score. Only listened on the radio after driving to the top of a hill down here but who do you blame for lack of quality balls in? How do you score with Reach who is a good utility player but couldn't find his arse with both hands and a flashlight, let alone a net. Loovens as mobile as an oil tanker and a side with lots of effort but no end product. Lightweight midfielders with no substance or pace whose first instinct is the crab pass. Who runs at players? Only substitutes in the last 10 minutes everytime. Without FF there is no one who causes problems.The buck stops with CC. I am not blaming him, but who else is a fault? Like it or not the buck stops with CC. Whether or not he is at fault. I don't think he should be sacked. Maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't. But if we start next season as we are finishing this he should go. Maybe he is just an impact manager who goes in and does a job but cannot make the players any better. Maybe they always go backwards and thats why he moves on. He has a chance to build something here. Maybe he needs more time but it certainly isn't working at the moment. The problem is we do not know what is going on and probably never will so apportioning blame is difficult. Maybe he needs a better number two. Maybe we should bring in an old head as support. Lets be honest, if we had Warnock we would probably be challenging for the top two. CC just isn't cutting it at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2017 22:23

PistolPete From Owls forum..

All football fans are the same...

Posted 22 minutes ago
I suppose the Sheffield Titanic just hit the iceberg of expectation. We have managed something others have failed to do. Taken top class strikers and rendered them unable to score. Only listened on the radio after driving to the top of a hill down here but who do you blame for lack of quality balls in? How do you score with Reach who is a good utility player but couldn't find his arse with both hands and a flashlight, let alone a net. Loovens as mobile as an oil tanker and a side with lots of effort but no end product. Lightweight midfielders with no substance or pace whose first instinct is the crab pass. Who runs at players? Only substitutes in the last 10 minutes everytime. Without FF there is no one who causes problems.The buck stops with CC. I am not blaming him, but who else is a fault? Like it or not the buck stops with CC. Whether or not he is at fault. I don't think he should be sacked. Maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't. But if we start next season as we are finishing this he should go. Maybe he is just an impact manager who goes in and does a job but cannot make the players any better. Maybe they always go backwards and thats why he moves on. He has a chance to build something here. Maybe he needs more time but it certainly isn't working at the moment. The problem is we do not know what is going on and probably never will so apportioning blame is difficult. Maybe he needs a better number two. Maybe we should bring in an old head as support. Lets be honest, if we had Warnock we would probably be challenging for the top two. CC just isn't cutting it at the moment.

Wow. "It's not his fault, but its his fault but its not his fault, he shouldn't be sacked but he should be sacked, but its not his fault, but it must be his fault. But we'll never know who's fault it is, maybe it's the assistant manager's fault, but it's the manager's fault."

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Mar 2017 22:39

To be fair to him it comes across like immediate post match stream of consciousness psychobabble from a fan of a team with reputably the best forward line in the division who just failed to score against a team with a defence with a marshmallow heart.

It's no worse than some of the shit we get on here after the team have spent 90 minutes passing between the back 4 only to lose the game with a hospital backpass. Cut him some slack. I'd be confused and befuddled if my team had just lost 2-0 at home to us.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Mar 2017 23:30

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Mar 2017 23:36

Felt Williams played well, but MOM is pushing it somewhat!

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 18 Mar 2017 01:18

From Despair To Where? To be fair to him it comes across like immediate post match stream of consciousness psychobabble from a fan of a team with reputably the best forward line in the division who just failed to score against a team with a defence with a marshmallow heart.

It's no worse than some of the shit we get on here after the team have spent 90 minutes passing between the back 4 only to lose the game with a hospital backpass. Cut him some slack. I'd be confused and befuddled if my team had just lost 2-0 at home to us.

Not on the basis of tonight's performance, we were fantastic.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Mar 2017 02:11

Wednesday supporting mate said Williams was our best player also.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2017 07:11

He Is a decent player - probably tarnished by how poor we've been last few seasons

I'm a fan of his - mentioned before but whenever I bring mates to the game, they nearly always pick him out as one of our best players

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Mar 2017 08:07

I like DW, although always seems to have one poor to average half and then one excellent half.

Wasn't at the game tonight so cant comment but he did exceptionally well for the 2nd goal.

4486 posts