Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Mar 2017 09:06

WAZZOCK
From Despair To Where? To be fair to him it comes across like immediate post match stream of consciousness psychobabble from a fan of a team with reputably the best forward line in the division who just failed to score against a team with a defence with a marshmallow heart.

It's no worse than some of the shit we get on here after the team have spent 90 minutes passing between the back 4 only to lose the game with a hospital backpass. Cut him some slack. I'd be confused and befuddled if my team had just lost 2-0 at home to us.

Not on the basis of tonight's performance, we were fantastic.

I was talking more about their expectations based on our recent form rather than the match itself. They will have seen us get gubbed 3-0 in our last 2 away games and play very poorly and have seen this as a very winnable game.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Mar 2017 09:42

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/252790-reading/

Pretty impressed with some of the responses to the OP here.

Apparently some fans expect us to come out and play fast attractive football when we are 1-0 up away from home in a six-pointer, after a poor run of form :lol:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 18 Mar 2017 10:01

How many times have we been called tinpot on there though :lol:

Not sure why they are crying over players diving, their lads spent most the night rolling around on the floor.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Mar 2017 10:16

Oh, the irony of being accused of cheating by supporters of a team that employs Fernando Forestieri, a player I like by the way, even if he does lose his balance and clutch his face when someone looks at him.

Always had a soft spot for Wednesday ever since the Howard Wilkinson days and generally find their fans to be even handed and fair. Like us, last night was a massive game for them and there's clearly a lot of frustration at their own team's performance. Easier to blame the other team in the heat of the moment.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 18 Mar 2017 11:00

From Despair To Where? Oh, the irony of being accused of cheating by supporters of a team that employs Fernando Forestieri, a player I like by the way, even if he does lose his balance and clutch his face when someone looks at him.

Always had a soft spot for Wednesday ever since the Howard Wilkinson days and generally find their fans to be even handed and fair. Like us, last night was a massive game for them and there's clearly a lot of frustration at their own team's performance. Easier to blame the other team in the heat of the moment.

Agree with the above. They are mainly fair-minded and I have enjoyed having conversations in the bus queue in the past.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Mar 2017 11:03

Pretty balanced responses from most there.

A few fans still living in their glorious past (fair enough I spose). You gotta realise things change chaps. Unless you're one of the half dozen mega sides you've got to perform or you're nowhere and someone 'tinpot' will supplant you.

Whether that's Leicester, Wigan, Stoke, Bournemouth, Watford, Bolton, Reading, Brighton etc etc.

We may have been shit for 110 years but we've certainly got potential and just because we were a tier three also ran for most of our existance doesn't mean we always will be. We're an upper tier two side and have been for 15 years. It would be no more of a big surprise if we spent 5-10 of the next 15 years in the PL than it would be if Weds did.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 18 Mar 2017 12:14

glass half full
From Despair To Where? Oh, the irony of being accused of cheating by supporters of a team that employs Fernando Forestieri, a player I like by the way, even if he does lose his balance and clutch his face when someone looks at him.

Agree with the above. They are mainly fair-minded and I have enjoyed having conversations in the bus queue in the past.

Living up near Sheffield, I really can't agree with that. There are some Owls like that but the majority that I know are typical 'big club, massive history' chip on their shoulder types. Chesterfield fans hate them more than Mansfield or the Blades for that reason. However, maybe it is just the people I know/work with?!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Mar 2017 12:22

Makes me laugh when fans have a go and call us tin pot and go on about our lack of success.

Yeah we know, :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Mar 2017 12:29

FiNeRaIn Wednesday supporting mate said Williams was our best player also.

Watching the highlights, he was nearly always stood on the line behind AAH when the latter pulled off the saves. I reckon he would have stopped a couple had AAH not done so with great reactions. Also set up the 2nd by a) heading clear, b) racing after the loose ball and blocking the attempt by SW to put out for a throw (albeit he did almost then show them how to stop Popa scoring!).

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 18 Mar 2017 12:37

Maneki Neko Makes me laugh when fans have a go and call us tin pot and go on about our lack of success.

Indeed!! I do like to remind them that in the last 20 years, we've won more than they have.........apparently that doesn't count.....

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 18 Mar 2017 12:55

Wasn't at the game but they clearly haven't watched us much. We are always slow and ponderous, it isn't time waiting. Gunter has taken one quick throw in in 5 seasons with us :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2017 12:59

The whole 'history' arguments are incredibly dull. Does anyone really care if a team like Weds are in the prem rather than a Reading or Bournemouth bar their own fans?

Reading's hardly the place it was 20-30 years ago anyway. There's a potentially massive fan base there of young and successful people from the whole of Berkshire. As a town itself it's one of the most successful in the country. It'd be slightly odd if the football club only pulled in 4K a week rather than being a up and coming club

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Mar 2017 14:42

Maneki Neko Makes me laugh when fans have a go and call us tin pot and go on about our lack of success.

We've been a more successful club than Wednesday for the last 15 years.

So, go figure... :?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Mar 2017 14:47

I can now see why the Brighton fans call them Massive FC, shame they don't see the irony.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Mar 2017 14:57

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/ ... their-win/

I love how some fans go out of their way to make a note on how un-noteworthy we are

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Mar 2017 15:02

Dont recall too many teams calling us tinpot after they beat us (apart from South Coast Barcelona)

So many sour grapes :lol: :lol:

Someone should remind them they've seen the third tier a lot more recently than we have, and no one gives a shit about history apart from deluded nostalgic fans who's current predicament is worse than their past. Boohoo.

Also it's all well and good saying we were quiet, there were 300 of us ffs (obviously in itself not great) I always think Hillsborough is up there with the quietest home supports I've heard, especially considering the numbers they bring in.

In contrast Bramall lane is far louder and a much more intimidating atmosphere.

Thanks for the 3 points guys.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Mar 2017 15:32

I will counter our criticisms by saying there are some pretty balanced and fair views on there, by the way. But some proper sour grapes.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Mar 2017 15:42

That is also true and fair play to the their more reasoned posters.

I am still surprised at the tendency for football fans to bemoan other team's support though. Maybe it's from following a smaller club in comparison but I'm far more likely to commend those who go.

We're a small club compared to Wednesday with regards to fan base so why they feel the need to have to highlight that is quite strange. Like well done, great observation. Shame you don't get points for having more fans. :lol:

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 18 Mar 2017 16:44

It would appear that they're slightly obsessed with our support or rather lack of it. Did we get everybody in the one joe baxi? Or did we have to book two in the end?

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 18 Mar 2017 17:40

£33 pound tickets and 250+ miles on a Friday night from a relatively small club, what were they expecting?

4464 posts