Opposition fans back from the game

4464 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Sep 2016 16:19

CountryRoyal
LUX yep, similar happened with West Ham for a couple of years, definitely. We're not on their radar now.

Nor should we be. They're too busy shipping 4 goals a game and fighting with each other.

I am less and less opposed to the Olympic Stadium each passing game, if they were to get relegated it would be beautiful seeing them play in a half-empty (being generous) stadium.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Sep 2016 16:36

LUX it's all football's fault. The same thing happened with Wolves a couple of years ago (although Wolves are undoubtedly a bigger club than us). We have played BHA loads and loads of times over the past 15 (?) seasons, often challenging with each other for promotion/play-offs. There have also been cup matches in recent seasons. In a survey a couple of years ago we were in the top three team hated by Wolves (between WBA and Norwich), for similar reasons- and we are still playing them year in, year out. Wolves get far more animosity and pisstakes/glee at their misfortunes on here than Sheff Weds, Brum or Forest, say.

There is absolutely no real, deep rivalry between us and Wolves or BHA and it will all die down when we drift apart, in whichever direction that will be.

Yeah, this is fair.

Although I think part of the Wolves thing is that pic. Most of the real animosity from McGhee and the PO game has evaporated. West Ham similarly re Pardew. We've even lost Warnock now.

What we really need is a successful manager who oxf*rd off to a rival for no reason, to reignite some proper beef with a bit of heart in it. Or Oxford / Swindon / Aldershot (LOLZ!) to get up to our level again. Until then we're stuck with lame antagonism from the likes of Brighton or Brentford etc. Teams on a similar level to us, who are jealous of our recent success and desperately want to outdo us to prove they're better and less plastic.

I spose there's the real hoops argument with QPR, who put an edge on it by being such contemptible cheats.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Sep 2016 16:42

Ian Royal
LUX it's all football's fault. The same thing happened with Wolves a couple of years ago (although Wolves are undoubtedly a bigger club than us). We have played BHA loads and loads of times over the past 15 (?) seasons, often challenging with each other for promotion/play-offs. There have also been cup matches in recent seasons. In a survey a couple of years ago we were in the top three team hated by Wolves (between WBA and Norwich), for similar reasons- and we are still playing them year in, year out. Wolves get far more animosity and pisstakes/glee at their misfortunes on here than Sheff Weds, Brum or Forest, say.

There is absolutely no real, deep rivalry between us and Wolves or BHA and it will all die down when we drift apart, in whichever direction that will be.

Yeah, this is fair.

Although I think part of the Wolves thing is that pic. Most of the real animosity from McGhee and the PO game has evaporated. West Ham similarly re Pardew. We've even lost Warnock now.

What we really need is a successful manager who oxf*rd off to a rival for no reason, to reignite some proper beef with a bit of heart in it. Or Oxford / Swindon / Aldershot (LOLZ!) to get up to our level again. Until then we're stuck with lame antagonism from the likes of Brighton or Brentford etc. Teams on a similar level to us, who are jealous of our recent success and desperately want to outdo us to prove they're better and less plastic.

I spose there's the real hoops argument with QPR, who put an edge on it by being such contemptible cheats.

I'd say there is/has been very little animosity with Brentford, despite them being a perfect fit to be our mutual rivals (ie nobody else cares about them either). Ours is and always will be Aldershot. Sad but true.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Sep 2016 16:43

Ian Royal I spose there's the real hoops argument with QPR, who put an edge on it by being such contemptible cheats.

Yesterday I had a Preston fan ask me why we copied their hoop kit when we moved away from our usual sky blue :evil:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Sep 2016 16:51

LUX
Ian Royal

Yeah, this is fair.

I'd say there is/has been very little animosity with Brentford, despite them being a perfect fit to be our mutual rivals (ie nobody else cares about them either). Ours is and always will be Aldershot. Sad but true.

Yeah that one's reasonably small - there's a bit about us beating them to second that time, but that's about it. I'm being unfair on them. But I also didn't just want to single Brighton out.

Aldershot is always going to largely depend on age and previous association. For the likes of me, who've never seen us play a competitive game against them, and don't come from an RFC family, I really couldn't give a shit about them. It's all about Swindon. For older fans it's obviously Aldershot. Christ knows what the intake of the last 10 - 15 years thinks if they've not got an RFC background in their family.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Sep 2016 16:52

I don't get the argument about Hoops:

We wore them first and have worn them for more years cumulatively, QPR have worn them for a greater number of consecutive years.

What other teams argue over who wore what first/better? Don't see West Ham, Villa, Burnley and Scunthorpe argue over who are the true clarets.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Sep 2016 17:43

leon
sandman
Glory Boy I like what you've done with your hair. It really suits you

Thanks, my hairdresser tried something a little different this time. He's such a sweetheart. Have you been working out?

Maneki Neko let it go. we are starting to sound like NSC

Thanks for noticing sweetie, love your shoes by the way :wink: .

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Sep 2016 19:25

Have we got a beef with Reading? I'm struggling to care about this result, partly because it's the League Cup and mainly because it's Reading. They really don't register at all with me as a team that we have a bit of history with.

There was that whole thing where they did the pitch invasion for finishing 7th and the entire footballing world (or at least us and Burnley) relentlessly mocked them. I think they've had a bee in their collective bonnets since. Also, they seem to enjoy pointing out our lack of PL appearances; as if its something we aren't aware of. Also, also every Reading fan I've personally met has been an utter ****. Also, also, also, Reading is a dull place. Also, also, also, also it's football so any sort of perceived superiority will make the simplest of fools bask in glee.

So. That.

Really?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2016 19:37

Is that 2 quotes from the same person?

"Reading don't register with me at all so I'll list the reasons why I dislike them"

I think I see the simplest of fools basking in glee.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Sep 2016 20:12

Bottom quote was a reply to the top quote, soz.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Sep 2016 21:56

TBF, it's not just on NSC.

BHAFC News ‏@BHAFC_NEWS Sep 20
Reading fans getting excited over a poor tackle on Pocognoli, as they thought it was on Norwood. Not got over his move to a better club yet.

Seem to remember the same happening after the shocking tackle on Rosenior, extremely bitter bunch.

Question is, who will be presenting Reading with the trophy after full time?

The Albion Roar ‏@albionroar Sep 20
Blimey, how many Reading fans are following this match on Brighton Twitter feeds, rather than being here disguised as blue seats? #bhafc

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2016 22:03

I sincerely hope BHAFC_NEWS isn't an official club feed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Sep 2016 22:04

I think it's best if we just laugh at their delusions of being a big club and then ignore them like the fairly insignificant club they actually are.

On to the next game.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 21 Sep 2016 22:15

genome TBF, it's not just on NSC.

Blimey, how many Reading fans are following this match on Brighton Twitter feeds, rather than being here disguised as blue seats? #bhafc

Interesting having a dig at our away support when the total attendance was under 7,000. Presumably even more Brighton fans were disguised as blue seats :shock:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Sep 2016 22:42

tidus_mi2 I don't get the argument about Hoops:

We wore them first and have worn them for more years cumulatively, QPR have worn them for a greater number of consecutive years.

What other teams argue over who wore what first/better? Don't see West Ham, Villa, Burnley and Scunthorpe argue over who are the true clarets.

Weymouth do though.

sloughroyal123

by sloughroyal123 » 21 Sep 2016 22:50

Jagermesiter1871
genome TBF, it's not just on NSC.

Interesting having a dig at our away support when the total attendance was under 7,000. Presumably even more Brighton fans were disguised as blue seats :shock:

Just had a look at Albion roar on twitter, god its worse than NSC

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Sep 2016 22:57

The Albion Roar ‏@albionroar
Reading taking full advantage of having 17 men on the line. #ParkFootball #bhafc

Two-footed late lunge by Reading's Tyler Blackett correctly results in a straight red. #bhafc

League Cup 3rd Round - home to Reading. Deep joy. #bhafc

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Sep 2016 11:05

The UX on North Stand Chat is an abomination. How's a gal supposed to troll when it's so difficult to get around?

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 22 Sep 2016 12:37

For older fans, Aldershot don't even register. It was always Swindon and then mid 60s, Oxford Utd. Aldershot were firmly rooted in the old Div 4. We did play them in FAC games, loosing 0-1 in early 67 and then tanking them 6-2 in the next season. Apart from that, you have to wait until the mid 70s when both clubs were in that league to find any sort of rivalry. I suppose that there is an argument that both teams were in the old Div 3 South back when dinosaurs walked the earth, but I doubt that there are many, if any fans around from that era

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Sep 2016 12:54

LUX We have played BHA loads and loads of times over the past 15 (?) seasons, often challenging with each other for promotion/play-offs.

Familiarity breeds contempt. There are only four teams that we have played on more occasions in the league than Brighton:-

Bournemouth (104)
Watford (100)
Millwall (92)
Swindon (92)

We have played Brighton 91 times in our history, so have been knocking around in the same division for 46 seasons (including this one), literally half of our league history.

4464 posts