Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by RoyalJones » 08 Dec 2017 20:06

CountryRoyal Rinomhota signs til 2021.

Watson next surely?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Dec 2017 05:25

bagman Aaron was injured whilst on trial at Aldershot (TCL) . Won't be back until well into New Year. He's not really played for 2 + years now. Unfortunately can't see him playing pro football again. Pity because in the Academy was a standout player in his year group

Unfortunately being a standout player in youth football rarely means you become a standout as a pro.
We’ve had plenty of hot prospects who faded once they tried to step up.....
I wish him well though and certainly will always have good memories of the years when he captained the u18 and u21 sides to some excellent wins.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Dec 2017 07:59

Hound Doubt any of those first Teamers will be started Monday then

Bit of a disappointing performance in many ways, although Bayern were very good and losing to what should be the cream of young German talent. In the first half especially Bayern played at pace and pressed us very hard and we simply couldn’t deal with it. When we had the ball we gave it away too easily and when they had the ball they kept it !
Second half we were much more in the game without looking in control.
You could argue we created the better chances in the game with one cleared off the line in the first half and a double block in the second but Bayern deserves to win.
Of the first teasers playing only Alorinreally impressed, although Jakkola again showed he is a more than competant keeper and everything he did was neat and tidy. Barrett played out of position again but spent too much of the game trying fancy flicks which were never more than speculative, he needs to learn to hold on to the ball and chose when to try the unorthodox. Omar Richards did well and popped up in attack several times.
It was a shame in some ways that the game was used as a training exercise for the fringe first team players and we didn’t get to see a proper game for our u23’s but you can understand the need to ensure the first teasers are match fit for the Xmas period.
Respect to the 20 or more Bayern fans who travelled over for the game complete with flags and drums and sang non stop throughout the game. Impressive dual language chanting.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Dec 2017 10:25

Nameless
bagman Aaron was injured whilst on trial at Aldershot (TCL) . Won't be back until well into New Year. He's not really played for 2 + years now. Unfortunately can't see him playing pro football again. Pity because in the Academy was a standout player in his year group

Unfortunately being a standout player in youth football rarely means you become a standout as a pro.
I wish him well though and certainly will always have good memories of the years when he captained the u18 and u21 sides to some excellent wins.

Can see him ending up at Hull or Torquay tbh.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Dec 2017 10:53

maffff
Nameless

Can see him ending up at Hull or Torquay tbh.

A season Torquay would probably be ideal. He’d play a lot, get fit and look to move up a few levels.
Hull would be a nightmare, if he signed for them I’d expect him to disappear a la Tishbola.
You wonder where someone at Torquay might consider trying to sign Kuhl and Tish, they were a great combination.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 09 Dec 2017 13:32

Nameless
Hound Doubt any of those first Teamers will be started Monday then

Bit of a disappointing performance in many ways, although Bayern were very good and losing to what should be the cream of young German talent. In the first half especially Bayern played at pace and pressed us very hard and we simply couldn’t deal with it. When we had the ball we gave it away too easily and when they had the ball they kept it !
Second half we were much more in the game without looking in control.
You could argue we created the better chances in the game with one cleared off the line in the first half and a double block in the second but Bayern deserves to win.
Of the first teasers playing only Alorinreally impressed, although Jakkola again showed he is a more than competant keeper and everything he did was neat and tidy. Barrett played out of position again but spent too much of the game trying fancy flicks which were never more than speculative, he needs to learn to hold on to the ball and chose when to try the unorthodox. Omar Richards did well and popped up in attack several times.
It was a shame in some ways that the game was used as a training exercise for the fringe first team players and we didn’t get to see a proper game for our u23’s but you can understand the need to ensure the first teasers are match fit for the Xmas period.
Respect to the 20 or more Bayern fans who travelled over for the game complete with flags and drums and sang non stop throughout the game. Impressive dual language chanting.

Absolutely spot on Nameless. Having heard so much about Barrett recently, I was keen to see his progression but he came across as a bit one dimensional, repeatedly drifting out to the left to cut in and shoot. I'm not suggesting anything about him on a one off game BTW .

A player who I was disappointed with was Clement who kept losing the ball, particularly in the 1st half, meaning of play kept breaking down and we couldn't build anything. I wonder if the main reason for this is motivation as he usually seems near and tidy, but if so then it's a bit harsh on the usual U23 squad.

I was impressed with Bayern's no. 15 CB and no. 30 in midfield especially who Renee me of a young Schweinsteigger (sic?)

All said though, it was a really good, enjoyable game of football and all done to the FCB Ultras - I never thought I'd hear a football song to YMCA and "You only sing when you're winning" made me smile but the inevitable replies around 1966 and a certain world conflict did remind me of a Fawlty Towers sketch.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 14 Dec 2017 15:33

Anyone going to the FA youth cup 3round tie against Millwall tonight at the Madstad KO 7pm

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Dec 2017 21:17

We won 2-1.
Holsgrove missed a pen
2 red cards (one per team) and a massive pushing and shoving match early in the second half which frankly was a disgrace to both clubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2017 21:21

Oops. Was it u23?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Dec 2017 21:26

No, FA youth cup which is U18

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 15 Dec 2017 09:04

Unpleasant and mildly disappointing win over an ill-disciplined Millwall. Loader and Fanyani scored early on but we conceded a soft goal on half time.

In the second half there was a really ugly brawl in front us (East stand) and the ref may have been a touch lenient in sending off one from each side (Coleman for us). Another Millwall player who stirred up what was basically a tangle of legs and grabbing got away with his part in it. That incident rather killed the game though Holsgrove missed a penalty.

I have to say nobody in the Reading team sang out to me as a big prospect / class above Millwall. Difficult game , win and move on.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Dec 2017 11:01

Was hoping for something fresh and lively after the drab Bayern game. There were a few moments of quality, but generally the fluency wasn't there.

Predictably, Holsgrove was our best player - incredible pass for Loader's goal, and the best moment of the second half was when those two exchanged four or five quick passes to put Holgrove through (he shot narrowly wide across goal). But he didn't run the game the way Tanner or Barrett used to.

Millwall's best player was the left back, Junior or Jethro or something. We didn't really have any answer to him going forward.

Disappointed in Coleman (along with everyone who stormed into the brawl) but he's bulked up well and distinguished himself from our mass of tiny midfielders. If he controls his temper then he could be a long term Evans replacement- if not then he could be a Joey van den Berg replacement.

Looks like Cameron Green is injured which is disappointing but Faniyan took his goal well and grew in stature as the game went on.

And while the game was quiet after the sending off, my optimistic interpretation was that we were keeping the ball well and smothering Millwall.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Dec 2017 20:01

Fox Talbot Unpleasant and mildly disappointing win over an ill-disciplined Millwall. Loader and Fanyani scored early on but we conceded a soft goal on half time.

In the second half there was a really ugly brawl in front us (East stand) and the ref may have been a touch lenient in sending off one from each side (Coleman for us). Another Millwall player who stirred up what was basically a tangle of legs and grabbing got away with his part in it. That incident rather killed the game though Holsgrove missed a penalty.

I have to say nobody in the Reading team sang out to me as a big prospect / class above Millwall. Difficult game , win and move on.

I’m fairly certain the Millwall player who got sent off was the one who started it by locking his legs round Coleman’s standing foot. Coleman pulled his foot out but inevitably put it down again which looked very like a stamp and everyone piled in. Very disappointing and some of the Millwall players seemed to want to live up to their club’s reputation. There were several other incidents during the game, from both sides.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Dec 2017 11:04

New contract and loan from January (to Coventry) for Josh Barrett

https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/943798286678446081

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Dec 2017 11:28

muirinho New contract and loan from January (to Coventry) for Josh Barrett

good move all round I think.

He definitely has something about him. Whether he is quite up to Champ level, not too sure, but he has time to develop

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Dec 2017 13:35

Hound

He definitely has something about him. Whether he is quite up to Champ level, not too sure, but he has time to develop

Will be hoping he is a stand out player there and not just someone who disappears without trace with the odd sub appearance here and there.

Also Reading have drawn Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup I believe - anyone confirm a date for the game?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Dec 2017 13:54

Sutekh
Hound

Will be hoping he is a stand out player there and not just someone who disappears without trace with the odd sub appearance here and there.

Also Reading have drawn Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup I believe - anyone confirm a date for the game?

Looks like they are away to Charlton on 20th January in the 4th round.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 Dec 2017 13:57

Sutekh
Hound

In the FA Youth Cup, we've got Charlton, not Arsenal. Game is on 20/1.

The Ladies team got Arsenal in the Continental cup, maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Dec 2017 09:05

muirinho
Sutekh
Hound

In the FA Youth Cup, we've got Charlton, not Arsenal. Game is on 20/1.

The Ladies team got Arsenal in the Continental cup, maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Yes indeed. I read both bits of information somewhere and then got them mixed up :oops:

7490 posts