The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Hound » 14 Feb 2018 07:05

JLow just did a bit on GR. obviously not massively informative but an ok read

In summary Bond has done well (but will leave anyway) and Meite seems to have done pretty well after a slow start. Not much otherwise

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Feb 2018 09:13

Denver Royal So, are any of our loanees lighting it up anywhere and getting rave reviews this season?

(Shamefully, I haven't really kept track of them this season :? )

Novakovich was doing well at Telstar when JLow did a round up just before xmas

As above Bond is doing OK at Peterborough (and I bet will move there permanently in the summer)

Wieser and Gravenberch have largely been bit parts on their loans and there isn't much else to say.

Nice to hear Meite's apparently improving. Like him to do well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2018 10:49

ah yeah, forgot about Novakovic. He has done very well apparently, but i'm not sure what that level of footy is like

Meite actually lined up against PSG in the cup the other day. No idea how he got on mind you

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 14 Feb 2018 12:18

Hound ah yeah, forgot about Novakovic. He has done very well apparently, but i'm not sure what that level of footy is like

Meite actually lined up against PSG in the cup the other day. No idea how he got on mind you

Dutch League is difficult to gauge. There are a handful of teams that could more than survive in our PL. The rest are Championship standard at best.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2018 12:20

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound ah yeah, forgot about Novakovic. He has done very well apparently, but i'm not sure what that level of footy is like

Dutch League is difficult to gauge. There are a handful of teams that could more than survive in our PL. The rest are Championship standard at best.

Although he isn't playing in their Premier League, he is playing in the 2nd tier, which probably isn't the best standard.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 14 Feb 2018 12:29

Hendo
Tilehurstsouthbank

Although he isn't playing in their Premier League, he is playing in the 2nd tier, which probably isn't the best standard.

Yep, you're spot on Hendo. So by my earlier assessment would we say the Dutch second tier is probably at best lower Championship>L1 standard?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2018 13:32

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hendo
Tilehurstsouthbank

Yep, you're spot on Hendo. So by my earlier assessment would we say the Dutch second tier is probably at best lower Championship>L1 standard?

Good level to shine at, at this point in his development.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 14 Feb 2018 19:24

The Dutch had 2 entrants into this season's Champions League. We had 5 (though it's usually 4 of course). So going by that I was thinking that the Dutch 2nd tier was maybe L2 standard? Most of our loanees tend to go to that level so it does fit. Even if i'm being harsh on the standard i'd be very surprised if it was equivalent to the Championship.

Also, Hound you have a PM!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Feb 2018 19:49

Southwood is having a very good spell at Bath (most clean sheets of any goalkeeper in the division), Ward is doing well at Aldershot, Barrett is barely playing at Coventry. Aside from those three and Novakovich, none of our other loanees matter. Unless I've forgotten someone.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Feb 2018 20:12

SCIAG Southwood is having a very good spell at Bath (most clean sheets of any goalkeeper in the division), Ward is doing well at Aldershot, Barrett is barely playing at Coventry. Aside from those three and Novakovich, none of our other loanees matter. Unless I've forgotten someone.

Ward is 6'6 :o

"Lewis Ward joined The Shots on loan from Reading until 3 January 2018. A regular with The Royals’ Under 23 side, has recently returned from a 13-match spell in National League South with Hungerford Town, having previously enjoyed loans at Whitehawk, Sutton United, Margate and in Iceland with Fylkir. The 6ft 6 goalkeeper won the Barclays U21 Premier League Cup with Reading in 2014 and signed a new professional contract in July, before renewing his stay at Hungerford, with whom he had also impressed in the final weeks of 2016-17."

"Highly-rated goalkeeper Luke Southwood joined Bath City on loan from Reading in July 2017. The 19-year old has represented England at U19 level and was part of the squad that lifted the U20 World Cup in South Korea in June 2017. Having graduated from the Royals Academy in July 2015, he made 17 appearances for their U23 side last season. City debut: Bognor Regis Town 5-8-2017"

The Cube

by The Cube » 14 Feb 2018 22:15

KC Royal Just seen this over on Non-league Matters, posted a few days ago.

"Colchester United v Reading result now showing as subject to an F.A. investigation due to an ineligible Reading player -
Imari Samuels, who started the match not having played in earlier rounds. "

:?

The FA website also states that the result is under investigation, but without giving a reason. The messageboard post is from a Bournemouth fan, and so must be treated with extreme caution (although it is clear over many years that he has access to FA bulletins).

I've checked the rules and can't see anything about failing to play in an earlier round causing ineligibility (would cause a bit of a problem for your first tie each season....). However, I did see that to be eligible this season you have to be 15 by 31/8/2017, so one obvious question is when was Imari Samuels' 15th birthday? Couldn't find out the answer to that myself.

Incidentally, if a club fields an ineligible player and can demonstrate that they couldn't have known that he was ineligible they don't get thown out the competition. Otherwise, they're out and also fined.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 15 Feb 2018 13:08

SCIAG Southwood is having a very good spell at Bath (most clean sheets of any goalkeeper in the division), Ward is doing well at Aldershot, Barrett is barely playing at Coventry. Aside from those three and Novakovich, none of our other loanees matter. Unless I've forgotten someone.

Cov fans are saying he isn't very fit apparently

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2018 14:10

3points

Cov fans are saying he isn't very fit apparently

Hmm, seems to be a malaise that runs throughout the club given first team performances and the fact they've apparently conceded more goals in the last 15/20 minutes of games that any other team in the Championship.

Can't all be down to preseason shortcomings surely....

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 15 Feb 2018 16:38

Good to see the current shambolic set-up isn't just subjected to the first-team squad and management.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/club-charge-upheld-following-fa-youth-cup-regulations-breach/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2018 16:47

sounds a bit shitty, but a clear breach. Considering we were clearly so much better than CU as well.

Oh well, we'd prob been thrashed by Arsenal anyway. Shame though.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 15 Feb 2018 16:59

How can there be a rule that stops you from fielding underage players? If they’re good enough then where’s the problem, thought the FA wanted to encourage youth development? :roll:

Rules are rules but doesn’t stop it from being a shit one

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Feb 2018 17:30

Hound sounds a bit shitty, but a clear breach. Considering we were clearly so much better than CU as well.

Oh well, we'd prob been thrashed by Arsenal anyway. Shame though.

Yet apparently Southend did the same thing a couple of years ago and weren't thrown out. Typical FA farce.

Oh well, they'd probably have been done by Arsenal anyway

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Feb 2018 18:03

What gets me is that the FA Youth Cup is the only competition with a lower age limit. Any other competion and he would have been OK to play.

I accept it's a clear breach of the rules but there is a clear precedent with Southend and the club have been completely transparent.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 15 Feb 2018 19:26

Will be interesting to see if the club appeal, given the precedent with Southend, and what the difference with both situations is, though the QFs have to be played before 3rd March so it wouldn't give much time for any game to be arranged if the decision is overturned.

We may well have lost to Arsenal but it would have been good experience for them to play against a top team at the Mad Stad, maybe a decent crowd too? We also haven't reached the QFs that often, so all in all it's disappointing, especially when as Hound says we were clearly superior to Colchester.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2018 20:41

From Despair To Where? What gets me is that the FA Youth Cup is the only competition with a lower age limit. Any other competion and he would have been OK to play.

I accept it's a clear breach of the rules but there is a clear precedent with Southend and the club have been completely transparent.

I think Shrewsbury got booted out this season for doing the same though

7490 posts