The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2018 18:01

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Cracking start for him at the higher level.

Yep but I really do get the feeling we will never see him in a Reading shirt again.

I fear you're right. Although there's a not tiny chance we could get relegated and lose one or both of Baldock and Bod. Nova might also prove too good for us at that point.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Sep 2018 19:05

Sutekh The first team can only dream of getting a 0-0 at home though.

Cough.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Sep 2018 19:17

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Yep but I really do get the feeling we will never see him in a Reading shirt again.

I fear you're right. Although there's a not tiny chance we could get relegated and lose one or both of Baldock and Bod. Nova might also prove too good for us at that point.

You wouldn’t think. First team squad with 5 strikers would look overloaded though. Surely Bod, Baldock, McNulty, Novacovic and Loader would be a pretty deCent group of forwards with. Bond of youth and experience and different styles,

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 24 Sep 2018 19:28

Stranded

Here hoping we can recall him in Jan and he starts playing. Don't want him to be one that got away. Even though the Dutch League is pretty pants, he is still one of (if not number 1) our best prospects. IF we go down to L1 I am sure he will score a hatfull there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2018 19:30

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

You wouldn’t think. First team squad with 5 strikers would look overloaded though. Surely Bod, Baldock, McNulty, Novacovic and Loader would be a pretty deCent group of forwards with. Bond of youth and experience and different styles,

We've spent half our games playing one upfront. Plus how often can you realistically promise a 5th striker much game time even with an injury?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Sep 2018 19:56

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal I fear you're right. Although there's a not tiny chance we could get relegated and lose one or both of Baldock and Bod. Nova might also prove too good for us at that point.

We've spent half our games playing one upfront. Plus how often can you realistically promise a 5th striker much game time even with an injury?

5 strikers still doesn’t seem too many though. You’d be a fool to promise any player match time, you’d promise them the chance to compete but no one should be promised they will play. 5 gives you Baldock competing with Loader, Novacovic competing with Bod and McNulty a wild card. 2 starting and 2 on thebench if we play 2 strikers. I’d imagine plenty of clubs have more than 5 strikers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2018 20:02

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

5 strikers still doesn’t seem too many though. You’d be a fool to promise any player match time, you’d promise them the chance to compete but no one should be promised they will play. 5 gives you Baldock competing with Loader, Novacovic competing with Bod and McNulty a wild card. 2 starting and 2 on thebench if we play 2 strikers. I’d imagine plenty of clubs have more than 5 strikers.

Doesn't really help with the situation we're talking about of Loader being involved in the first team then does it.

Can you name many seasons where we've genuinely had five strikers in the first team? I can't.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Sep 2018 20:05

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Don’t forget Smith who showed promise last season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Sep 2018 20:55

Smiths less than impressive start at Oxford is putting him in a distant 6th at the moment

I’d love to have Nova and Loader around the first team squad, if not the 11 itself this time next year. Realistically unlikely. Bod is still young, as is McNulty and Baldock is on a 3 year deal I think

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Sep 2018 23:32

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

If they left we'd have McNulty, Loader would likely go, so Ben House probably be the next youth striker in line? Smith if we wanted to keep him.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 06:11

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal

Doesn't really help with the situation we're talking about of Loader being involved in the first team then does it.

Can you name many seasons where we've genuinely had five strikers in the first team? I can't.

Closest would probably be Doyle, Kitson, Lita, Long

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Sep 2018 13:31

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I fear you're right.

Yep, me too. Unlikely to get 4 year deal, a la McNulty.
Academy player who's done well abroad (and with US team) leaves having barely sniffed 1st team.
Starting to wonder: We have academy by choice (some clubs don't, like Brentford, who we play next). We pay a lot for it, for a reason. If a striker comes up through academy, then is successful 1st team striker for several years, what exactly that player/model would look like, and what would need to happen? Is it simply a case continually of none of them being good enough? Team hasn't played at high level for several years now, so shouldn't be hard to break in.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 25 Sep 2018 14:08, edited 2 times in total.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Sep 2018 13:53

Reading FC have a good record of bringing Academy payers through to the first team but much depends on how they do on loan to League 1 and 2.

For example in the past the likes of Obita, Sigurdsson and Hector did very well on loan and then got their first team chance. Sadly over the last couple of years few of our players loaned out seem to have excelled (Barratt and Smith the most recent examples - although I am told (by an Aldershot supporting mate) Ward did very well at Aldershot last season).

As for Nova I am sure that if he does well he will get a first team chance - although to some extent this would depend on how well the current strikers do this season. Alternatively if we received a good offer for him you can understand why the club might take this as that could fund the expensive Academy for a season or two.

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 25 Sep 2018 15:20

andrew1957 Reading FC have a good record of bringing Academy payers through to the first team but much depends on how they do on loan to League 1 and 2.

For example in the past the likes of Obita, Sigurdsson and Hector did very well on loan and then got their first team chance. Sadly over the last couple of years few of our players loaned out seem to have excelled (Barratt and Smith the most recent examples - although I am told (by an Aldershot supporting mate) Ward did very well at Aldershot last season).

As for Nova I am sure that if he does well he will get a first team chance - although to some extent this would depend on how well the current strikers do this season. Alternatively if we received a good offer for him you can understand why the club might take this as that could fund the expensive Academy for a season or two.

^This. There are 2 reasons for the academy, first to bring players through to the first team and second to generate funds for the club. If players aren't good enough for the first team then they are (hopefully) sold to generate funds. Recently there has been a lack of the first, I am not sure on the second.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Sep 2018 15:51

Just a reminder to everyone what a striker doing well in the dutch league can lead to.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Sep 2018 17:38

Hendo Just a reminder to everyone what a striker doing well in the dutch league can lead to.

Middlesbrough

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Sep 2018 17:52

Hendo Just a reminder to everyone what a striker doing well in the dutch league can lead to.

Didn't he score 7 goals in a game for Heerenveen and the next season got signed for Boro?

Funny fact aswell.... him, Ronaldo and Romario are the only Brazilians to score 30+ goals in the Eridivisie.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Sep 2018 19:50

Kulshaw72RFC

Didn't he score 7 goals in a game for Heerenveen and the next season got signed for Boro?

Funny fact aswell.... him, Ronaldo and Romario are the only Brazilians to score 30+ goals in the Eridivisie.

The last American to do well in the eredivisie didn't exactly carry that form to England..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Sep 2018 12:31

Kulshaw72RFC

Just having a quick look and it looks as though he scored the 7 goals in October and then signed for 'boro in the January widow.

45 goals in 39 games is some achievement, but the subsequent 10 in 42, not so much.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Sep 2018 14:40

McCleary and Harriott both started and played the full 90 mins for the u23s at the Mad Stad against Southampton today. Surprising given all the praise he's had on this thread that Osho only on the bench, where he was joined by Barrett interestingly (who played the final 10 mins).

Won 2-0, Loader and House the scorers.

7490 posts