Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2018 10:58

What about Watson SCIAG?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2018 20:08

U23s playing Brighton, live on faceyb. 1-1

Some really nice play a little lacking in end product ruined by a moment of truly shambolic defending.

Won 2-1.

Only saw the last 25 minutes.

Popa was utter toss, produced nothing, constantly falling over the ball, overdoing it and looked overweight and slow. Explains why he hasn't really featured in the first XI.

Don't know who was who otherwise, but 6, 8, 9 and 11 all looked very tidy. 5 looked like he likes a trick but can't actually pull it off in a match - pretty sure I've seen him do exactly the same in a previous glimpse. None of the others really stood out to me in the short time I watched and what I could see.

I think Loader scored the winning penalty - bit dubious, handball off the wall from a freekick. I think he was number 11 and seemed to be playing in midfield, but I might have got that wrong.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2018 20:31

Ah crap didn’t realise it was on FB, would have watched it

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jan 2018 22:46

Snowflake Royal What about Watson SCIAG?

A year younger (along with Ward, Sheppard, Novakovich). Rinomhota is the same age as Kelly/Legg but like Shane Long only had one year at youth level so I don't really count him.

Went to the game last night. Thought the Brighton left-back, George Cox, had a good game both going forward and defensively.

Line up, in 4-2-3-1, was: Legg (1); Howe (2), Osho (3), Holmes (4), Medford-Smith (5); East (6), Holsgrove (8); Popa (7), Shokunbi (10), Loader (11); House (9)

Odimayo (12) replaced Holmes at half time, possibly due to injury. Frost (14) replaced Shokunbi in the second half, which was definitely due to injury but probably a good idea anyway.

The goal was conceded was a terrible piece of defending, with three Brighton players unmarked in the six yard box. Legg didn't have much else to do.

Thought the full backs were poor and have struggled to step up to this level, but in fairness they had a lot to do as our wingers were prone to drift off their flanks or decide to press on the other side of the pitch. Makes you appreciate Watson and Richards. Osho was his usual self, very athletic, booked for a tackle where he committed a little too much. Holmes made some threatening runs forward and injured himself in a full-blooded tackle - carried on until half time but looked a bit sore. Odimayo took his goal well but might have been at fault for the one we conceded - I couldn't really tell.

East and Holsgrove shouldn't work as a midfield pairing but they've both adapted their game and made some good passes, including a fantastic one by East out to Howe in the second half. Would like to see them ahead of Clement in the pecking order. Was pleased to see Shokunbi start because I hadn't seen him for two years, but I can see why now - he wasn't showing for the ball enough and didn't do much when he did get it. Frost was a little better but doesn't really seem to be progressing, he's basically the same player he was at 16.

Loader got on the ball quite a bit, but had a habit of running into defenders rather than dribbling around them or drawing a foul. Popa started brightly but faded fast and didn't actually threaten at all - again, good game from Cox. I don't really know what to make of House - combative and industrious, but not big or fast and I'm not sure I've seen him score.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 09 Jan 2018 08:17

Hound Ah crap didn’t realise it was on FB, would have watched it

Yeah, could have watched the final quarter or so but only realised it was on FB after i'd seeked out the updates by which time the game had almost finished. The club's twitter had all the key moments, emphatic penalty from Loader, House was unlucky with a shot that hit the post that seemed to then hit the keeper and go just wide. Not sure where the defence was for their goal but it seemed a deserved win.

It seems they're showing the Mad Stad games on FB, 2nd time they've done it, the other was the Villa win in October. Pretty sure you can watch the whole game after the event but never got round to doing it for the Villa game. Will check at some point if it's still possible to watch both games.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 16 Jan 2018 21:15

Congratulations to the Under 18's for winning at Charlton this evening 4-3 after extra time. Apparently they came back from 2 down and won despite both teams ending up with 9 players a side. Sounds like quite a game.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2018 13:59

andrew1957 Congratulations to the Under 18's for winning at Charlton this evening 4-3 after extra time. Apparently they came back from 2 down and won despite both teams ending up with 9 players a side. Sounds like quite a game.

Yep, apparently scored with the last kick of the game to take it to extra time as well. Good effort.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 29 Jan 2018 21:27

U23`s 0-0 against Wolves tonight- not the greatest of games with both sides cancelling each other out. good to see Watson and Rinomhota get 45 minutes each.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 29 Jan 2018 23:48

Royals and Racers U23`s 0-0 against Wolves tonight- not the greatest of games with both sides cancelling each other out. good to see Watson and Rinomhota get 45 minutes each.

Hopefully that was the plan, for Watson at least as he got a knock which seemed to affect him for the rest of the half.

There was some neat play from both sides but not a lot of goal mouth action. How young a lineup did we have out, just wondering as we've loaned out a few of the usual U23 players in this window which probably had an adverse affect on our attacking play

Our forward, House I think, let the ball get away from him - reminded me of Pog, with a heavy 1st touch means the 2nd one is a tackle. I don't mean to be harsh and he did do some good things, chasing back and had a bit of pace and strength. He never really got any chances in the box

PS their no 9 was a unit and they even had Seedorf playing for them (no not that one)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2018 07:07

Looks like they are taking it very slowly with Watson. Be nice for him to be able to step up and provide cover for the first 11 sooner rather than later

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jan 2018 14:18

Watson was clearly feeling his leg late in the first half - hopefully the knock isn't too serious.

The more I see of East and Holsgrove together, the more I like them. Didn't pull up any trees (except for a couple of great passes each) but kept the ball moving well. I hope they play ahead of Clement.

Agree about House - contributed a lot defensively but not much going forward except determination.

Loader tried to do a lot but it didn't really come off for him. Suspect he'd be better suited to a counter-attacking side.

Someone asked about the age of the team. I don't know birthdays, but ages:

Legg - 21/22
Watson - 20/21
Osho - 19/20
Holmes - 17/18
Medford-Smith - 18/19
Rollinson - 18/19
East - 19/20
Holsgrove - 17/18
Rinomhota - 21/22
Loader - 17/18
House - 18/19

Howe, Frost, Shokunbi - all 18/19

So the team that finished the game was mostly second year scholars and first year pros.

RegularRoyal

by RegularRoyal » 30 Jan 2018 16:00

SCIAG The more I see of East and Holsgrove together, the more I like them. Didn't pull up any trees (except for a couple of great passes each) but kept the ball moving well. I hope they play ahead of Clement.

Totally agree.

Holsgrove is very two footed. Takes corners on the left with his right foot, and corners on the right with his left foot, so they are always inswingers. The only other player I've seen do that was David Ginola!! He also seems to have eyes in the back of his head.

East never stops, and is very tidy on the ball, picking out good passes or surging forward when the opportunity arises. Was given the ball in quite a few dodgy situations, and every time, got himself out of trouble very calmly.

Also liked the centre back Tom Holmes. Good on the floor and in the air, and made a few good surging forward runs.

The whole team play the passing game, but with so much more pace than the 1st team. Even though it was 0-0, it was so much better to watch than the turgid stuff the 1st team have been dishing up in the last season and a half.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2018 22:42

RegularRoyal
SCIAG The more I see of East and Holsgrove together, the more I like them. Didn't pull up any trees (except for a couple of great passes each) but kept the ball moving well. I hope they play ahead of Clement.

Totally agree.

Holsgrove is very two footed. Takes corners on the left with his right foot, and corners on the right with his left foot, so they are always inswingers. The only other player I've seen do that was David Ginola!! He also seems to have eyes in the back of his head.

East never stops, and is very tidy on the ball, picking out good passes or surging forward when the opportunity arises. Was given the ball in quite a few dodgy situations, and every time, got himself out of trouble very calmly.

Also liked the centre back Tom Holmes. Good on the floor and in the air, and made a few good surging forward runs.

The whole team play the passing game, but with so much more pace than the 1st team. Even though it was 0-0, it was so much better to watch than the turgid stuff the 1st team have been dishing up in the last season and a half.

I've been really impressed with them both East and Holsgrove from the snippets I've seen. My only concern is that when you get a pair of players in the youth team that seem to gel so well together, it may be a case of better than the sum of their parts and when they have to make the transition to first team separately, neither will be able to perform as well without that partnership.

Here's to hoping that's an unfounded fear and we'll be seeing them as an effective partnership in the Championship in a couple of years or three.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2018 08:43

RegularRoyal

Totally agree.

Fully agree about the style of play. They are good to watch, and play to the strength of the players.

I'd actually like to see Marshall play more of a role in the first team. Not sure whether that would be in addition to the U23s, but I like what he has done with them

I'd also like to see a big clear out in the first team squad over the summer and bring a few of the lads like Holgrove, Andresson and RInimhota into the main squad. They offer just as much as the likes of Clement, Blackett and our various wingers. Would cut the wage bill and give us a bit more identity, and may even pick up the playing style quicker

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Jan 2018 09:06

For me, although Loader is the one who gets the most attention, Holsgrove is the best prospect we have. Oozes class and once he fills out a little I think we'll see him come through quite quickly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2018 18:25

New 3.5 deal for Watson

Surprised by that but hopefully means he is fully fit again. Looked good last year

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2018 14:22

Hound New 3.5 deal for Watson

Surprised by that but hopefully means he is fully fit again. Looked good last year

I think it shows the club rate him and are fully confident with his ability to get over his injury and get back to the level he was potentially going to achieve before the injury.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Feb 2018 16:13

3.5 year deal for Sam Smith too.
https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/959456390606737408

Brings the number of long term contracts dished out to academy youngsters over the last couple of months to 7

(Other 6 are Osho, Barrett, McIntyre, Watson, Richards, Rinomhota)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2018 16:17

its an interesting policy this.

I can't remember such long contracts being given out to players who aren't really in first team contention at this stage

Obvs be absolutely delighted if 4 or 5 of these lads come through and play regularly. But on first thoughts, they do seem a little excessively long. There must be a genuine thought that they will be in the first team squad next year, which must surely mean we will be having some sort of clear out at the end of the year (no bad thing)

Anyway, congrats to Smith. Some potential there certainly and a good attitude etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2018 16:32

Hound its an interesting policy this.

I can't remember such long contracts being given out to players who aren't really in first team contention at this stage

Obvs be absolutely delighted if 4 or 5 of these lads come through and play regularly. But on first thoughts, they do seem a little excessively long. There must be a genuine thought that they will be in the first team squad next year, which must surely mean we will be having some sort of clear out at the end of the year (no bad thing)

Anyway, congrats to Smith. Some potential there certainly and a good attitude etc

Alternative theory:

We are tying them down to long-term contracts to ensure to leave and get first team league football a club has to pay for them so we get a fee and this will making the Academy self-funding. We don't really have any strong plans to include them in genuine first team plans other than as back up bench warmers and critical emergency starters.

We just don't seem to have really made any effort to bring Academy players through under Stam (except Kelly - and even he's struggled this season with the addition of Clement, Edwards and Bacuna) . Yes, a fair few have had debuts or sat on the bench, but even last year Watson didn't get as many chances as his performances merited, even taking into account Gunter's ever-presence. Richards could and should have been used more pre-injury this season. Smith could have got more minutes easily. Andressen likewise. Dickie looked to be being prepped for the first team in pre-season and then was shipped out quietly. Hyam never even got that close. Both of those were quality defenders from what I saw.

Rinomhota hasn't really featured since a bit of a cameo. Loader could have had more chance, Holsgrove and East not had a shout (though it's early days for them to be fair), Barrett hasn't had a game since McDermott was in charge iirc. Nothing for Frost I don't think. Novakovitch has been farmed out on loan. Stacey and Fosu were ditched.

/cynic

7491 posts