7491 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jun 2017 15:39

double d
paultheroyal
Nameless
Not sure it's ruthless. Both were good prospects 2or 3 years ago but sadly had not progressed as expected. Compare the trajectory of Kuhl's career and that of Liam Kelly.
Interested that Jack Stacey is not mentioned, presumably his contract has another year to run ?
Will also be interested in whether Jake Cooper is retained or allowed to move on.

Jake was very much in Japp's plans however a not so good misdemeanour put an end to that and which is why he was shipped out on loan. Its been well disguised by the club.

It will depend on whether he has been forgiven and he is willing to put things right with himself and the players around him.

We all want to know what he did now....

Must have been bad if Millwall deemed it acceptable.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jun 2017 16:04

NewCorkSeth
double d
paultheroyal
Jake was very much in Japp's plans however a not so good misdemeanour put an end to that and which is why he was shipped out on loan. Its been well disguised by the club.

It will depend on whether he has been forgiven and he is willing to put things right with himself and the players around him.

We all want to know what he did now....

Must have been bad if Millwall deemed it acceptable.

So - does that mean what he did affected other players? Badly enough for him to be banished? I'm now agog!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2017 16:09

he was barely playing though - didn't appear to be in Stam's plans from day 1

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Jun 2017 16:36

Hound he was barely playing though - didn't appear to be in Stam's plans from day 1

He went on the preseason tour to Holland, and played in the friendly against AFC Wimbledon and came on in one of the early games.

After that, pretty much nothing, bar a few minimal sub appearances in December, before being shipped out. Was he injured for part of that time?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jun 2017 16:41

pretty much on the bench every game up until Christmas from what I remember

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jun 2017 09:55

muirinho
SCIAG Not surprised about Kuhl, he's gone backwards over the last couple of years and doesn't play with the same joy any more. Something's gone badly wrong there.

The whole Kuhl thing is just mystifying. A player isn't banned from playing for no reason, surely? Must have been awkward with his Dad there and everything.

https://nonleague2prem.com/2017/05/15/e ... t-me-play/

In essence

Reading Chronicle “I wasn’t allowed to play because I wasn’t getting a contract,” Kuhl revealed in an exclusive interview with the Reading Chronicle.

“They said they wanted to give the other players a chance to play to get a contract next season.

“I thought ‘fair enough’ but I was just thinking I could help them out because they weren’t doing the best in the league at the time and I’m quite a good, defensive player. I could help them shore up the back and they could help me find a club.

“If I had played those games I could have sold myself, so I would be helping them and they would help me.”

The full article is here...

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... he_Royals/

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 10 Jun 2017 18:14

Best wishes for the future to Aaron. Hope he soon finds a new club and prospers.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Jun 2017 14:04

I mentioned previously that Kuhl had an attitude problem which some of the coaches didn't like. Think he got too big for his boots ultimately.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 16 Jun 2017 15:46

LWJ I mentioned previously that Kuhl had an attitude problem which some of the coaches didn't like. Think he got too big for his boots ultimately.

What a load of bollocks. Have you got nothing else better to do then talk garbage. Wrong to assasinate a young lads career that way. Shame on you.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Jun 2017 17:08

mambo3
LWJ I mentioned previously that Kuhl had an attitude problem which some of the coaches didn't like. Think he got too big for his boots ultimately.

What a load of bollocks. Have you got nothing else better to do then talk garbage. Wrong to assasinate a young lads career that way. Shame on you.

Assassinating a lads career? Seriously? :| I wish him all the best, but there's a reason he's gone from rumours of City interested to not got a contract..

Where's your information from which counteracts this?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 16 Jun 2017 17:25

I heard the same thing. Surely one of his loans would've worked out if he had applied himself properly? You only need to look at examples set by Kelly & Tish...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jun 2017 19:53

LWJ
mambo3

Assassinating a lads career? Seriously? :| I wish him all the best, but there's a reason he's gone from rumours of City interested to not got a contract..

Where's your information from which counteracts this?

One of his close friends told me that was a load of bollocks. Not saying one is true or not, obviously a mate is hardly going to come out and say anything negative about you but fwiw, according to him, Kuhl never had an "attitude problem". The only thing he said that he'd been ravaged by injuries and became somewhat disillusioned with the game at times even at one stage contemplating giving it up completely to pursue other career interests.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Jun 2017 10:16

Well I'm sure Balotelli doesn't think that he's got an attitude problem either ... in fact, I asked one of Balotelli's mates whether he thought that his friend was a nutter, and he said that he isn't ... so I guess that sorts it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jun 2017 13:36

Royalwaster Well I'm sure Balotelli doesn't think that he's got an attitude problem either ... in fact, I asked one of Balotelli's mates whether he thought that his friend was a nutter, and he said that he isn't ... so I guess that sorts it.

Seeings how I've highlighted that as possible factor in my post yours was pretty irrelevant wasn't it m8. Definitely living up to your namesake with that one. That's also a terrible oxf*rd example and you know it.

Besides, I don't see anyone else offering why they actually think he had an attitude problem beyond the fact that "he was good when he was young, now he's shit, must have an attitude problem"

:|

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Jun 2017 16:39

Just saw this story .... ex-Reading academy player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40292266

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Jun 2017 18:55

CountryRoyal Kuhl never had an "attitude problem". The only thing he said that he'd been ravaged by injuries and became somewhat disillusioned with the game at times even at one stage contemplating giving it up completely to pursue other career interests.

This sounds much more plausible than him transforming into billy big bollocks. From what little I've seen and heard of Kuhl, he's very down to earth but has had a drop in interest in the game lately. He used to play with such joy but in his few appearances lately he's looked within himself and hesitant. I don't think he adapted very well to Dundee and it was all downhill from there.

Despite his talent, maybe the footballer's life just wasn't for him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Jun 2017 20:49

Royalwaster Just saw this story .... ex-Reading academy player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40292266
was going to post this up

Good to see "all is not lost" despite the disappointment of being released early in your career.

Well done Jonny

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Jun 2017 09:09

SCIAG
CountryRoyal Kuhl never had an "attitude problem". The only thing he said that he'd been ravaged by injuries and became somewhat disillusioned with the game at times even at one stage contemplating giving it up completely to pursue other career interests.

This sounds much more plausible than him transforming into billy big bollocks. From what little I've seen and heard of Kuhl, he's very down to earth but has had a drop in interest in the game lately. He used to play with such joy but in his few appearances lately he's looked within himself and hesitant. I don't think he adapted very well to Dundee and it was all downhill from there.

If he's not showing the desired commitment, from a coach's perspective, that could quite reasonably be construed as developing a bad attitude.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Jun 2017 10:29

From Despair To Where?
SCIAG

If he's not showing the desired commitment, from a coach's perspective, that could quite reasonably be construed as developing a bad attitude.

Agree with the above. Not having the right attitude to succeed as a pro-footballer does not necessarily equate to "billy big bollocks". And there may have been no falling out with coaches either, just a "this isn't really working out for either of us"

Everybody develops at a different pace. It can be difficult for early developers, who are head and shoulders above their age group at a younger age, but then plateau.
From my experience, college and university students can also suffer from suddenly hitting a wall in terms of development, and getting discouraged by people they used to be better than, now overtaking them. Some accept the new landscape and adjust their targets (i.e., solid 2.1 rather than starred first), others battle through the wall, and then improve again, but there will be some who can't cope with the struggle, they haven't developed the resilience they need now, as everything previously has come relatively easily. Often this last group drop out of university completely. I can certainly imagine that you'd get similar stories in football academies.

For Kuhl's sake, if this is what has happened, I hope he battles through the wall - and maybe a new environment is exactly what he needs to kick start that.

mambo3

"10 green Reading graduates standing on a wall"

by mambo3 » 02 Jul 2017 08:24

Who's next?

7491 posts