The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7492 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Platypuss » 10 May 2019 20:10

Hound Ward starting tonight for fgr

FGR already down to 10 men so he could have a busy night!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 May 2019 20:14

Platypuss

FGR already down to 10 men so he could have a busy night!

And had no chance with that one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2019 20:26

Not done a lot of ‘keeping’ yet but he has one hell of a kick on him. Accurate as well

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2019 21:45

Played pretty well, he looks a decent keeper. Surprisingly didn’t have much to do. Good with the ball at his feet

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 11 May 2019 19:05

Singing Defective
Singing Defective
Royals and Racers Attacking midfielder born 2003

My son was in the school team with him, so yeah. A bit Ollie-selfish, but so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch..probably not a Rinomhota but not a Kelly, either (in a good way). Have some school videos..if Bielsa wants to make me an offer

But sheriously. Left footed. Likes his step-overs. A young, forgeable, very very talented, er, talent.

Seriously good player. So much natural talent. Stand out at his age group and played up a year, along with Jamie Gittens (now at Man City). Fear Reading have already missed out as he appears to be in dispute with the club and didn’t play at all this season. Has been training/playing with Southampton recently.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 May 2019 06:37

Schmeichel the dog
Singing Defective
Singing Defective
My son was in the school team with him, so yeah. A bit Ollie-selfish, but so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch..probably not a Rinomhota but not a Kelly, either (in a good way). Have some school videos..if Bielsa wants to make me an offer

But sheriously. Left footed. Likes his step-overs. A young, forgeable, very very talented, er, talent.

Seriously good player. So much natural talent. Stand out at his age group and played up a year, along with Jamie Gittens (now at Man City). Fear Reading have already missed out as he appears to be in dispute with the club and didn’t play at all this season. Has been training/playing with Southampton recently.

Rumour is Reading are still trying and have offered a much improved contract. However AS Roma are also now trailing him and he is thought to be very open to doing a “Sancho”.

So Southampton it is then.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 May 2019 12:31

Southampton v Newcastle tonight at St Mary’s to decide who gets promoted from Div 2 KO 7pm

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 May 2019 21:41

Also got that Brown playing for them who we are supposedly interested in

Ward looked pretty competent over the two legs. Didn’t really have much to do either game but he is good passer and confident with the ball.

FGR were utterly lame though. Highlight of the game being Tranmere fan Mike Dean giving it large in the away terrace

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 May 2019 21:56

Ward has a really good throw on him, noticed that over both legs

Braindead moment at the end though, wasting a couple of good freekick opportunities in what was really approaching last chance saloon

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 May 2019 09:18

URZZZZ Ward has a really good throw on him, noticed that over both legs

Braindead moment at the end though, wasting a couple of good freekick opportunities in what was really approaching last chance saloon

Overall though could be competent enough for a lower Championship side, just needs a bit more experience. Goalkeeping position is possibly going to be the most interesting one to watch out for at the club over the summer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2019 09:24

I think Gomes would quite like what he saw. He did ping it about nicely, always looking at making a pass forward.

Prob not number 1 material yet, but I don't see any reason from what I saw why he couldn't be back up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2019 09:28

Sutekh

Overall though could be competent enough for a lower Championship side, just needs a bit more experience. Goalkeeping position is possibly going to be the most interesting one to watch out for at the club over the summer.

Yeah, we do seem to have some promising goalkeepers coming through. The only trouble is we will still probably need to sign a first choice goalie, and there won’t be room for both Ward and Southwood, I think eventually we may have to get rid of them to give them a proper chance of development

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2019 10:27

URZZZZ
Sutekh

Yeah, we do seem to have some promising goalkeepers coming through. The only trouble is we will still probably need to sign a first choice goalie, and there won’t be room for both Ward and Southwood, I think eventually we may have to get rid of them to give them a proper chance of development

Sign a first choice keeper and have Ward and Southwood as back up seems entirely plausible.
The only thing Walker gives us that the other two don't is a few inches.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2019 10:40

Nameless
URZZZZ
Sutekh

Sign a first choice keeper and have Ward and Southwood as back up seems entirely plausible.

Actually wrote the wrong thing - I meant maybe try and move on one of them, not both. I think the problem with that is the 2nd choice goalie gets limited time on pitch, so a 3rd choice would never play. There's only so many times you can keep and keep loaning out players. It's unfortunate that our goalkeeping department is one of our strongest coming through because you don't tend to rotate goalies, so i'd argue it'd be more beneficial developing one fully rather than trying to develop them both at the same time

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2019 10:46

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ

Actually wrote the wrong thing - I meant maybe try and move on one of them, not both. I think the problem with that is the 2nd choice goalie gets limited time on pitch, so a 3rd choice would never play. There's only so many times you can keep and keep loaning out players. It's unfortunate that our goalkeeping department is one of our strongest coming through because you don't tend to rotate goalies, so i'd argue it'd be more beneficial developing one fully rather than trying to develop them both at the same time

If we sign Martinez then I think that blocks the path for them. If we don't get him I'd look for an older keeper to start for a couple of seasons while we bring on Ward and Southwood mixing up loans, bench duties, cup games etc etc.
At this point it's hard to know which of them will turn out to be the better keeper so no point moving one out when they both have a couple more years to develop.
Of course none of that solves the problem of how we handle all the other good young keepers coming through behind them !

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2019 10:50

Nameless
URZZZZ
Nameless

If we sign Martinez then I think that blocks the path for them. If we don't get him I'd look for an older keeper to start for a couple of seasons while we bring on Ward and Southwood mixing up loans, bench duties, cup games etc etc.
At this point it's hard to know which of them will turn out to be the better keeper so no point moving one out when they both have a couple more years to develop.
Of course none of that solves the problem of how we handle all the other good young keepers coming through behind them !

Fair point

Would be disappointed to see Walker in goal, he'd do a good job in league one but I don't think he's quite good enough for the Championship

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 May 2019 11:04

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ

Fair point

Would be disappointed to see Walker in goal, he'd do a good job in league one but I don't think he's quite good enough for the Championship

Agreed, not sure what future Walker has. We should definitely be rewarding the young keepers for excellent loan spells and putting them on the bench behind an experienced first choice keeper. Walker isn't so far ahead of them that we wouldn't be better off just going with one of the youngsters anyway !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2019 11:45

I'd put Ward above Walker on the evidence of the two games I watched.

Ideally would have new keeper/Martinez > Southwood/Ward

with the other out of Southwood/Ward on loan and playing in Div 1 or 2.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 14 May 2019 12:31

Nameless
King Coppell
windermereROYAL Manchester United and Arsenal are reportedly both eyeing up the potential transfer of highly-rated young Reading goalkeeper Coniah Boyce-Clarke. The 16-year-old shot-stopper has impressed at the Madejski Stadium, having become a regular for the club’s Under-23 side this season.

https://www.football-addict.com/en/arti ... wNgP3bfqeI

Obviously a very promising keeper if at 16 he’s been thrust into the U23’s. He’s also 6 foot 3 and growing!

Luke Southwood has a great chance to earn the number one spot this summer, with Mannone not expected to return and AJ off. Conor is a few years off getting a sniff here, and that’s optimistic. I think his head will turn and we’ll lose him.

Is he really 6’3” ? He looks much shorter than that !
Do you know him ? Hard to say someone’s head will be turned unless you actually know them. We’ve got several players who could have gone to ‘bigger’ academies but have stayed with us and I think anyone with a good agent would probably decide moving to a supposed ‘bigger’ club at 16 is far from the best option. If you genuinely have the talent you will get to the top and probably be better off if you wait. If he’s a few years off getting a sniff here then he’d be further off at Man Utd or Arsenal....

Credible source says he's already left Reading.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 May 2019 12:41

Would be extremely disappointed if true. What’s the point of having Cat 1 and supposedly a really good academy if we can’t even keep hold of them before they even turn pro. What a joke.

7492 posts