The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7490 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Stranded » 02 May 2018 10:36

Hound I really hope thats the way we go. Bring in Rinomhota, Loader, Novakovich, Watson, Richards, Southwood into the first team squad, Smith on loan to a D1 for 6 months

I'd actually be happy enough not to sign a striker in the summer if it meant Novakovich and Loader getting a shot.

I will be amazed if Novakovich is not given a chance in the 1st team next season regardless of what division we are in. If we don't then expect him to move on pretty sharpish - lots of interest in him in The Netherlands understandably.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 May 2018 10:39

Stranded
Hound I really hope thats the way we go. Bring in Rinomhota, Loader, Novakovich, Watson, Richards, Southwood into the first team squad, Smith on loan to a D1 for 6 months

I'd actually be happy enough not to sign a striker in the summer if it meant Novakovich and Loader getting a shot.

I will be amazed if Novakovich is not given a chance in the 1st team next season regardless of what division we are in. If we don't then expect him to move on pretty sharpish - lots of interest in him in The Netherlands understandably.

When you look at the utterly pathetic impact Martin has made in the first 11, I can't see how he could do a lot worse. And would feel a lot better about a young lad who has at least partially come through our system being given time to improve rather than spunking 25k a week on some absolute waster

Likewise Edwards/Rinomhota, Anssi/Southwood, Loader/Mendes though obvs at lesser wages

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 May 2018 11:39

Anybody watch the U23 game last night can say how Southwood did? Also Watson? (Wasn't too impressed last few times I've seen him, not sure he's fully recovered from his injury woes)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 May 2018 11:45

muirinho

Anybody watch the U23 game last night can say how Southwood did? Also Watson? (Wasn't too impressed last few times I've seen him, not sure he's fully recovered from his injury woes)

Southwood looked confident and competent. Not quite sure on the goals as they weren't replayed to see if he could have done any better on them.

Only watched 10 mins or so of Watson, and he was ok without being great. Looked fit enough, not quite sure why he was brought off early again

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 May 2018 12:06

Hound
muirinho

Southwood looked confident and competent. Not quite sure on the goals as they weren't replayed to see if he could have done any better on them.

Only watched 10 mins or so of Watson, and he was ok without being great. Looked fit enough, not quite sure why he was brought off early again

Thanks. Worrying on Watson. Hopefully Southwood will get and will sign a new contract.

Royal1988

by Royal1988 » 02 May 2018 22:14

Just watched the Aldershot/Ebbsfleet Penalty Shootout, Lewis Ward saved 2 penalties after saving one during the 90 minutes too, then stepped up to take a sudden death penalty and hit the post... gutted for him!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2018 14:23

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 28 May 2018 13:58

Novakovich got called up again by the US. He is only one of two forwards (along with 18 year-old Josh Sargent from Werder Bremen) to make the squad. U.S. Soccer has an in depth bio piece on him up on their web site, including a couple of video clips (one showing all his goals for Telstar last season).

The US will be hosting Bolivia this evening. Then traveling to Dublin for a friendly with the ROI on the 2nd of June. Then to Lyon to give France a world cup tune-up on the 9th.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 May 2018 14:42

If anyone was tempted to watch the League Two Play-off final for Josh Barrett, he didn't even make the bench, not been a good season for him, sent out on loan to get game time and if Wikipedia is accurate, only made 8 appearances in League and Cup.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2018 14:59

tidus_mi2 If anyone was tempted to watch the League Two Play-off final for Josh Barrett, he didn't even make the bench, not been a good season for him, sent out on loan to get game time and if Wikipedia is accurate, only made 8 appearances in League and Cup.

Not good enough then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 May 2018 15:49

Nope, don’t think they were too impressed. Out of shape and lazy from some earlier comments

Huge missed opportunity for him

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 May 2018 16:29

Libertine Novakovich got called up again by the US. He is only one of two forwards (along with 18 year-old Josh Sargent from Werder Bremen) to make the squad. U.S. Soccer has an in depth bio piece on him up on their web site, including a couple of video clips (one showing all his goals for Telstar last season).

The US will be hosting Bolivia this evening. Then traveling to Dublin for a friendly with the ROI on the 2nd of June. Then to Lyon to give France a world cup tune-up on the 9th.

Libertine, thanks for that mate. US goes with really young squad, average age is just 22. Really hope Novakovich gets the start today to see how he does at that level. He has grown to be 6'4 now, but as reported, he has good feet and ball skills. If he impresses for US in these games, wonder how much that might influence our transfer business this Summer?

A couple more articles on Novakovich:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/s ... fc-reading

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... 4503075bc2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 May 2018 17:53

Libertine Novakovich got called up again by the US. He is only one of two forwards (along with 18 year-old Josh Sargent from Werder Bremen) to make the squad. U.S. Soccer has an in depth bio piece on him up on their web site, including a couple of video clips (one showing all his goals for Telstar last season).

That's a lot of free headers and penalties. There's some really nice cute finishes in there, but good lord, the standard of defending is awful. Reminds me of us.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 28 May 2018 18:58

Snowflake Royal

That's a lot of free headers and penalties. There's some really nice cute finishes in there, but good lord, the standard of defending is awful. Reminds me of us.

Watched some Dutch division 2 past season just gone because I had bets on BTTS always (because basically every game they do).

I would say it is comfortably worse then League 1, and a few league 2 teams would do okay in there.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2018 19:10

A few things impress me there

He seems ultra-cool. Almost every shot was careful, deliberate, beautifully-placed,
no lashing at the ball and hoping.

He moves and keeps moving, thus getting to loose balls and scoring.

His penalties were just-as-cool finishes.

He looks like he could bulk out a fair bit yet. Very promising. Would seem a no-brainer to extend his contract, get him in the squad and give him sub time and League Cup at the very least.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 May 2018 19:29

Snowflake Royal

I would say not dissimilar from U23 standard ... agree there must be more than 5 penalties in there and several tap-ins but a few well taken goals. The truth is with strikers watching goal highlights really doesn't tell you very much ... it's all about their movement off the ball, hold up play, goals to shots ratio, etc. Sometimes watching their misses is more telling than their goals.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 29 May 2018 01:59

Novakovich played about 30 minutes for the USA tonight against Bolivia. He played as a lone striker but the service was pretty terrible. No good chances, mainly due to other subs making their debuts not wanting to pass the ball in and around the box. The other rookie striker scored, so hopefully he can stay in the squad.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 29 May 2018 05:53

With only two true forwards I would be surprised if he didn't start one of the remaining games...at least. I think the plan with 3 games, and a very young team, is to give everyone on the squad at least one start to get a good look at everybody. A bit angry at myself for forgetting about yesterday's game. I'll pay closer attention and make sure I watch the ROI and France games.

But from the highlights I saw that is an impressive looking young team the US put out there. Nice to see Novakovich is part of it. On a side note I would love it if Clement used his Chelsea connections and got the CB Miazga on loan. He spent the last two seasons with Vitesse and picked up some hardware along the way. Good looking young player. Would love to have Pulisic here too. But that ain't happening... :D

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 29 May 2018 06:10

Denver Royal

Libertine, thanks for that mate. US goes with really young squad, average age is just 22. Really hope Novakovich gets the start today to see how he does at that level. He has grown to be 6'4 now, but as reported, he has good feet and ball skills. If he impresses for US in these games, wonder how much that might influence our transfer business this Summer?

A couple more articles on Novakovich:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/s ... fc-reading

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... 4503075bc2

I think what he did last season at Telstar justifies the club giving him a serious look next season. Hopefully he will get here early and fully prepare himself. Of all the things the club needs strikers are at the top of the list. So he should have an opportunity...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jul 2018 19:27

Defenders; Jamal Balogun, André Burley, Cameron Green, Akinwale Odimayo have signed first professional deals

There are 7 in total but the Chronic only names those 4 plus a striker called Liddle and another player called Omolabi.

7490 posts