7491 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by genome » 12 May 2017 12:21

Nameless
NewCorkSeth
genome Club has announce following U23 players will be released:

Harrison Bennett, Aaron Kuhl, Stuart Moore, Joe Tupper, Terence Vancooten, Sean Long, Craig Tanner, Jack Denton, Dominic Hyam and Harry Cardwell.

#ruthless. Carell and Kuhl both were supposed to be good prospects

Not sure it's ruthless. Both were good prospects 2or 3 years ago but sadly had not progressed as expected. Compare the trajectory of Kuhl's career and that of Liam Kelly.

Exactly. If you're good enough, you'll play. In fact, didn't Kuhl get a fairly decent run out in the first team?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 May 2017 12:26

Nameless
NewCorkSeth

Harrison Bennett, Aaron Kuhl, Stuart Moore, Joe Tupper, Terence Vancooten, Sean Long, Craig Tanner, Jack Denton, Dominic Hyam and Harry Cardwell.

Not sure it's ruthless. Both were good prospects 2or 3 years ago but sadly had not progressed as expected. Compare the trajectory of Kuhl's career and that of Liam Kelly.
Interested that Jack Stacey is not mentioned, presumably his contract has another year to run ?
Will also be interested in whether Jake Cooper is retained or allowed to move on.

Of the "names" there not overly surprised by any of them, Kuhl needs to get away from Reading for his career to progress esp. as Kelly as overtaken him. The fact that he struggled for playing time at Boreham Wood was not a good sign.

Moore has done well at Luton but we have plenty of goalkeepers and Tanner will end up at Plymouth. Clearly the club think he is not quite ready to play at Champ/PL standard depending on where we are next year.

Long's move to Lincoln, I think always was with a view to a perm move. Hyam's last 2 loans have seen very little playing time, so again not surprised he's gone.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 May 2017 12:33

How old is Novakovich? He seems to have been around ages without getting near the senior squad.

Bangs in the goals for the ressies but no loan interest?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 12:46

Novacovtic has played for the first team, not sure how much nearer you can get than that !

He's only 20, but has been playing for the u23 for quite a while so seems he should be older. We've obviously decided so far that a loan is not necessary for his development but suspect next season might be the one. would hope he has been working with Yann to learn his trade.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 May 2017 13:03

OK I've checked, 2 end of (dead) season (losing) sub appearances and not in the first team squad for the last two seasons

Aborted loan to Cheltenham over a year ago.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 13:15

TFF OK I've checked, 2 end of (dead) season (losing) sub appearances and not in the first team squad for the last two seasons

Aborted loan to Cheltenham over a year ago.

Did you check his age ? Explains why he's been playing age group games.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 May 2017 13:15

Gonna have to change my AV now :(

Thought Tanner had the talent to make it, but couldn't hold down a starting spot in League Two which at his age probably tells you enough.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 May 2017 13:46

Not surprised about Kuhl, he's gone backwards over the last couple of years and doesn't play with the same joy any more. Something's gone badly wrong there.

Similarly Tanner's not been handled as well as he should have been, we've signed a lot of players in his positions who haven't contributed much. Looked just as good as the likes of Meite and Popa when he did play. I'm gonna blame the club for that one.

Hyam is the biggest shock - imo he's clearly the best of our young defenders (including Blackett). I'd a few people around the club saying that Stam rated him highly too. But his loans haven't worked out, and we've got a lot of good options like Dickie and Osho.

Surprised to see East, Jules, Axel, and to an extent Rimonhota retained, and very surprised to see Legg retained when we have Ward, Southwood, and Driscoll.

Pleasantly surprised to see Ade Shokunbi offered a new contract - I've liked what I've seen of him but worried that he wasn't a "fashionable" enough player to be retained.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 May 2017 13:52

genome
Nameless
NewCorkSeth #ruthless. Carell and Kuhl both were supposed to be good prospects

Exactly. If you're good enough, you'll play. In fact, didn't Kuhl get a fairly decent run out in the first team?

To be clear I'm not suggesting being ruthless is a bad thing. In fact it's probably a good thing in many ways. I just think another manager might have given them the benefit of another season under his eye. Unless of course wage demands were excessive.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 May 2017 14:05

Royals and Racers
Royals and Racers
royalp-we Full time. U23's through to the pl cup final. Well done lads.

They meet the winners of next Tuesday`s game Swansea v Portsmouth.

Will play Swansea who won 3-0 AET tonight

And the game is apparently set for next Monday in Swansea. So that's the day before Reading play the second leg of the play off. :roll:

Obviously most of the U23 wouldn't be involved on the Tuesday but it rather kills any opportunity one or two might have had to make the bench - or weakens the U23 team if Stam thinks they do have something to offer on the Tuesday.

RATM

by RATM » 12 May 2017 14:19

Nameless
NewCorkSeth

Interested that Jack Stacey is not mentioned, presumably his contract has another year to run ?
Will also be interested in whether Jake Cooper is retained or allowed to move on.

I believe Stacey has 2 years left on his contract

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 14:27

NewCorkSeth
genome
Nameless

To be clear I'm not suggesting being ruthless is a bad thing. In fact it's probably a good thing in many ways. I just think another manager might have given them the benefit of another season under his eye. Unless of course wage demands were excessive.

Suspect a year is long enough if you are already 21. It's up to the players to have done things to earn a deal, not Stam to give them another chance. You earn contracts, you aren't owed them.
And for these players they are in no position to make wage demands. They might have turned down a contract because they think they can get more elsewhere, but unproven young players shouldn't be making demands !

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 14:29

I imagine we will see another list of players who are still under contract but will be let go if they can find another club. Cooper , Gravenbirch, Wieser obvious candidates.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 May 2017 14:30

SCIAG Not surprised about Kuhl, he's gone backwards over the last couple of years and doesn't play with the same joy any more. Something's gone badly wrong there.

Similarly Tanner's not been handled as well as he should have been, we've signed a lot of players in his positions who haven't contributed much. Looked just as good as the likes of Meite and Popa when he did play. I'm gonna blame the club for that one.

Hyam is the biggest shock - imo he's clearly the best of our young defenders (including Blackett). I'd a few people around the club saying that Stam rated him highly too. But his loans haven't worked out, and we've got a lot of good options like Dickie and Osho.

Surprised to see East, Jules, Axel, and to an extent Rimonhota retained, and very surprised to see Legg retained when we have Ward, Southwood, and Driscoll.

Pleasantly surprised to see Ade Shokunbi offered a new contract - I've liked what I've seen of him but worried that he wasn't a "fashionable" enough player to be retained.

Axel's been tearing it up at Bath.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2017 14:31

CountryRoyal
SCIAG Not surprised about Kuhl, he's gone backwards over the last couple of years and doesn't play with the same joy any more. Something's gone badly wrong there.

Axel's been tearing it up at Bath.

Can't be often a young loan player gets made captain.....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 May 2017 14:41

Bath seems to be a decent spot for our young players to prove themselves. Kelly did well there before coming in to the first team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2017 13:40

Sad to see Tanner, Kuhl and Hyam go.

Kuhl has obviously gone nowhere in the last 2-3 years, but was a shit hot prospect. Can't help but think maybe the hype went to his head. Tanner should have been given more of a chance prior to Stam taking over when we were shit IMO. I think we've outgrown him, but wouldn't be surprised to see him plying his trade at this level in a couple of years.

Hyam looked a very classy defender to me, but maybe he just hasn't developed, it's a while since I've seen him.

Cardwell doesn't seem to have done anything for a couple of years as well.

It's always sad to see some of these prospects fail to live up to hopes.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 13 May 2017 13:46

Surprised with Moore going. Disappointed with Hyam and Kuhl, but can't say i'm surprised in Kuhl's case. Tanner I always expected to join Plymouth if they won promotion anyway, but still sad. Undecided about Long, and Cardwell I thought had already gone?

The others released i'm not particularly familiar with.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2017 15:37

Cardwell went to Barcelona and Hove on loan in January so the writing was on the wall then.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 May 2017 17:56

U23s starting XI vs Swansea: Legg, Watson, Richards, Osho, Dickie, East, Frost, Rinomhota, Barrett, Meite, Novakovich.
U23s subs vs Swansea: Driscoll, Andresson, Holsgrove, Sheppard, Smith.

7491 posts