Injury table and expected return....

505 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Injury table and expected return....

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Aug 2014 16:39

Ian Royal I really don't see how you can blame training for knee injuries caused by fouls.

You don't think training has anything to do with physical fitness, or conditioning a player?

Pretty sure I'd be more likely pick up an injury when fouled than a professional football player. Except of course one that plays for Reading.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Aug 2014 16:40

Happy birthday mate x

Colbster

by Colbster » 28 Aug 2014 16:43

So why is Robson-Kanu named in the Wales squad if he's too injured to play for Reading?

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 28 Aug 2014 16:44

It's hard to predict as I assume we will have at least another one or two injured by Saturday but I'll say

Federici
Long Cooper Pearce Gunter
Mackie Akpan Kuhl Norwood Taylor
Cox

Subs Andersen Griffin Edwards Fosu Tanner Stacey Sweeney (if fit. Didn't he get a facial injury for the Under 21s recently ?)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Aug 2014 16:48

Elmer Park It's hard to predict as I assume we will have at least another one or two injured by Saturday

Didn't Kebe manage to get injured on the coach to one game?!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Aug 2014 16:51

Colbster So why is Robson-Kanu named in the Wales squad if he's too injured to play for Reading?

To be fair, he might be borderline right now so in essence the international break has come at a great time, gives us another week for players to recover.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 Aug 2014 16:55

Elmer Park Sweeney (if fit. Didn't he get a facial injury for the Under 21s recently ?)

Broken nose.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2014 17:01

blueroyals
Ian Royal I really don't see how you can blame training for knee injuries caused by fouls.

Except we don't have 16 players out with knee injuries caused by fouls...

I didn't say they were. But the two latest are exactly that and it's them that've spawned even more criticism and doubt of training regimes.

We went through the injuries previously and most were in game fouls.

It may be playing a part, but its not likely to be the major cause under those circumstances, IMO.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 Aug 2014 17:01

Remember Sonko & Ingemarson playing all 46 league games at CB with 1 booking between them? Ing didn't miss a game for over 2 years iirc.

Luck? Some, definitely. But the current situation just stinks of rank bad squad management.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 28 Aug 2014 17:58

Elmer Park Just been playing name the fourteen injured players.

Have got 13 so far - who have I forgotten ? Someone obvious no doubt but when there's so many....

Cummings Kelly Obita Hector Ferdinand McCleary HRK Karacan Williams Guthrie Blackman Tshibola Pog

After Mccarthy and Drenthe, I think the final one would be Edwards who was treated for an injury at the full time whilst against scunthorpe.

Do we know how bad Obita is or Hector? and Pog might have an outside chance of making it...

Imagine if we hadnt signed anyone in close season!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 28 Aug 2014 18:06

RoyalBlue
Elmer Park It's hard to predict as I assume we will have at least another one or two injured by Saturday

Lita managed to injure himself in bed

Ian Royal It may be playing a part, but its not likely to be the major cause under those circumstances, IMO.

Tbf your opinion is almost irrelevant to the situation unless you have access to the players and some kind of physiotherapy background

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2014 18:26

kwik-silva
RoyalBlue

Lita managed to injure himself in bed

Ian Royal It may be playing a part, but its not likely to be the major cause under those circumstances, IMO.

Tbf your opinion is almost irrelevant to the situation unless you have access to the players and some kind of physiotherapy background

Which applies to absolutely everyone on here saying the training is a problem. Suits me just as well if we say we're all clueless and just stop discussing it.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 28 Aug 2014 18:33

I know, I apologise dearest Ian. I'd had enough of idle speculation with absolutely no real foundations.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Aug 2014 21:24

Perhaps they could be taught how to tackle properly in training as well, rather than dangling out a leg like a lot of our players seem to do. I think there is a serious point about training regimes. Reading players always look quite slight and a lot less muscular than their opponents. Just look at how solid Cox looks as well as the Pog as did Drenthe (and no, Drenthe wasn't fat last season). Compare them to players like Karacan, Gunter, Cummings, Taylor. I think they could all do with some extra sessions in the gym to improve their physicality.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2014 23:36

kwik-silva I know, I apologise dearest Ian. I'd had enough of idle speculation with absolutely no real foundations.

No need to apologise. We're all a bit fed up right now with the situation I think.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Aug 2014 01:12

Only one Trevor Morley

Have got 13 so far - who have I forgotten ? Someone obvious no doubt but when there's so many....

Cummings Kelly Obita Hector Ferdinand McCleary HRK Karacan Williams Guthrie Blackman Tshibola Pog

After Mccarthy and Drenthe, I think the final one would be Edwards who was treated for an injury at the full time whilst against scunthorpe.

Do we know how bad Obita is or Hector? and Pog might have an outside chance of making it...

Imagine if we hadnt signed anyone in close season!

I don't think Ferdinand is actually injured, he's just suffering from not really having been a footballer for a while.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Aug 2014 06:21

Colbster So why is Robson-Kanu named in the Wales squad if he's too injured to play for Reading?

He plays in the same position as Gareth Bale, it's not like he's going to get off the bench anyway even if he is fit.

It's like when McCarthy got picked for England, he basically just got a holiday in Brazil and a good seat for the match.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Aug 2014 10:25

sandman

He plays in the same position as Gareth Bale, it's not like he's going to get off the bench anyway even if he is fit.

It's like when McCarthy got picked for England, he basically just got a holiday in Brazil and a good seat for the match.

HRK gets played quite frequently as a striker for Wales.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Aug 2014 13:33

Royal Ginger
sandman

HRK gets played quite frequently as a striker for Wales.

Good for him, perhaps we should give him a cookie.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Aug 2014 18:10

Niall Keown, Pierce Sweeney (both picked ahead of Cooper for the bench/U21s last season). Then Drenthe I guess.

urz13 Is Tarique Fosu-Henry our only fit winger? Apart from Drenthe of course (madness that he isn't being used)

Jamie Mackie, Ryan Edwards and Jack Stacey are all "fit wingers".

505 posts