Teams you really hate and like as a Reading fan

145 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Teams you really hate and like as a Reading fan

by sandman » 10 Feb 2014 20:30

Dislike:
Man United - I think anyone who grew up in Berkshire with their "fans" throughout the 90's know why, the Liverpool of our generation .
Liverpool - Victim complex, with no sense of humour and to top it all off Rodgers is their manager.
Bolton - Does anyone really need to ask why?
Walsall - See above.
Swansea - See above.
Wolves - You get the idea.
Burnley - Again, you get the idea.

Like:
Crewe - Good club who have done a very good job producing their own talent.
Wigan - Chairman can be a bit of a knob sometimes but then so can ours.
West Brom - Used the Parachute payments well to keep building the club steadily.
Man City - Unlike some fans of certain clubs close to them and other clubs who play in blue and have come into money they don't appear to have changed a lot because of it. Despite what they've spent you rarely see their players in the papers for anything other than football (certainly since getting rid of Mad Mario).
Brentford - Play at one of the last proper grounds in the country. Feel a bit sorry for them after we beat them on the last day.

Loyal royal 247

by Loyal royal 247 » 10 Feb 2014 20:35

sandman Dislike:
Man United - I think anyone who grew up in Berkshire with their "fans" throughout the 90's know why, the Liverpool of our generation .
Liverpool - Victim complex, with no sense of humour and to top it all off Rodgers is their manager.
Walsall - See above.
Swansea - See above.

Like:
West Brom - Used the Parachute payments well to keep building the club steadily.
Man City - Unlike some fans of certain clubs close to them and other clubs who play in blue and have come into money they don't appear to have changed a lot because of it. Despite what they've spent you rarely see their players in the papers for anything other than football (certainly since getting rid of Mad Mario).
Brentford - Play at one of the last proper grounds in the country. Feel a bit sorry for them after we beat them on the last day.

What about west ham.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Feb 2014 21:02

Loyal royal 247
sandman Dislike:
Walsall - See above.
Swansea - See above.

Like:

What about west ham.

Sorry, can't hate a club supported by Steve Harris and Vikki Blows.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 10 Feb 2014 21:39

Serious Dislike of Portsmouth, Wolves, Cardiff & Old Firm, always want to see them get beat by anyone,
I really should like Brazil & Barcelona for their wonderful football, but I always want them to lose too.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Feb 2014 21:42

I always thought it was "auld firm". But 'greed, I'm more of a Jags fan myself.

What's the Aberdeen connection, watford?

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 10 Feb 2014 22:07

Green I always thought it was "auld firm". But 'greed, I'm more of a Jags fan myself.

What's the Aberdeen connection, watford?

Grew up in Aberdeen, moved to Ding in late 80's.

Auld Enemy is England, always known as Old Firm for us!

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 10 Feb 2014 22:26

Victor Meldrew BTW Lol @ those posters thinking that other fans are pikeys and inbreds-have a good look around fellas when you next go to the Mad Stad and remember where the ground is situated.

I was wondering myself why pompey fans keep get referred to as pikeys. What's the origin of this? Is Portsmouth one giant traveller site?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Feb 2014 22:44

sputnik
Victor Meldrew BTW Lol @ those posters thinking that other fans are pikeys and inbreds-have a good look around fellas when you next go to the Mad Stad and remember where the ground is situated.

I was wondering myself why pompey fans keep get referred to as pikeys. What's the origin of this? Is Portsmouth one giant traveller site?

Portsmouth is basically one big sink estate although I was somewhat shocked to find out that John "Mr Portsmouth" Westwood is in fact an antiquarian book dealer.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Feb 2014 00:08

Quite ironic that many of you hate Chelsea due to Romans millions. Many of you said he would walk, sooner rather than later. Reading fans hated the concept of a free spending foreign owner 'buying' success.

Fast forward 10 years and TSI want to buy Reading FC. A 'rich' Russian owner with 'money' to spend. Rings a bell doesn't it? Suddenly Reading fans are excited at the prospect of competing with the big boys, buying top players. The irony is there for all to see.

Meanwhile, 11 years and many many trophies later, Roman is still at Chelsea whilst Anton Zingarevich had his 5 minutes of fame and left Reading quicker than Brendan Rodgers.

So for the time being, the 'Reading way' is back and the rich clubs are a scourge on our game. The only question is, will you have the opportunity to move the goalposts again?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Feb 2014 00:10

sputnik

Have you been to Portsmouth?

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 11 Feb 2014 08:15

Hate

Bolton - they made me cry at Wembley in '95, and it took 19 years to get some kind of closure with the 7-1 last month
West Ham - the way that they (or more specifically, Trevor Brooking) tapped up Pardew left a very sour taste. Any victory over them, and there have been a few since, is sweet
Liverpool - their fans are arrogant and utterly deluded. My view did soften a bit after we beat the 3-1 at the Madejski, and I met a couple of great Scousers on the train home afterwards, but generally they seem to think they have a right to success based on former glories

Nobody

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 11 Feb 2014 08:21

I forgot to add Middlesboro to my hate list. This stems from them getting a game postponed (against Blackburn if memory serves) back in the 90's because they had a few injuries to key players. Get some loans in or use your kids!! That what we did before a League Cup QF at Leeds...Bryan Robson was manager, and hate him too

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 11 Feb 2014 08:48

No Fixed Abode Quite ironic that many of you hate Chelsea due to Romans millions. Many of you said he would walk, sooner rather than later. Reading fans hated the concept of a free spending foreign owner 'buying' success.

Fast forward 10 years and TSI want to buy Reading FC. A 'rich' Russian owner with 'money' to spend. Rings a bell doesn't it? Suddenly Reading fans are excited at the prospect of competing with the big boys, buying top players. The irony is there for all to see.

Meanwhile, 11 years and many many trophies later, Roman is still at Chelsea whilst Anton Zingarevich had his 5 minutes of fame and left Reading quicker than Brendan Rodgers.

So for the time being, the 'Reading way' is back and the rich clubs are a scourge on our game. The only question is, will you have the opportunity to move the goalposts again?

I hate Chelsea 'cos all the glory hunting oxf*rd around here support them. So :P .

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 Feb 2014 08:51

I am a frequent visitor to Portsmouth. I've had family living down there virtually my whole life.
The place has changed over the years. Back in the day, a night out consisted of a few beers in a Brickwoods pub, seeing hordes of stroppy matelots getting steamed up.
As the Navy has shrunk, this phenonmenon has diminished greatly, and sadly, so has Brickwoods. Pompey Royal. Yum.
I genuinely believe that the MOD goes out of its way to build the ugliest looking buildings for servicemen/women. Cheap, ugly materials like plain concrete, cheap fascia board, and windows that are too small in proportion to the building.
The bulldozers are sorting this out down there, and Gosport in particular is undergoing a bit of a renaissance, together with Gunwharf Quays.
Sure, bits of Portsmouth are crappy, but in fairness, I got parachuted into West Reading after my divorce, and it's hardly Beverly Hills round here.
There are lots of crappy places around, but my nomination for the biggest toilet in the UK is where my son went to Uni. Stoke on Trent.

The thing that gets me about the place is the accent.
It's just 15 miles up the road to Sufaaaaaampm, in the same county, but Pomponians talk a lot like my extended family in the "London borough" of Slaaah. It's nuts*.

* or should I put it: "I was proper naused, but naah it's sweet, bruv."

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2014 08:56

Will95
No Fixed Abode Quite ironic that many of you hate Chelsea due to Romans millions. Many of you said he would walk, sooner rather than later. Reading fans hated the concept of a free spending foreign owner 'buying' success.

I hate Chelsea 'cos all the glory hunting oxf*rd around here support them. So :P .

And I just hate Chelsea fans who think they shouldnt be hated.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Feb 2014 09:06

I like how after all these years you still don't understand why people dislike Chelsea. Ever wondered why people don't hate Man City like that if it is the buying success we dislike so much?

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 11 Feb 2014 09:24

RATTLED

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 11 Feb 2014 10:14

Like: Liverpool and Arsenal - just enjoy watching them play.

Hate: West ham - they're just c*unts.
Man United - All their glory hunting fan can fack off

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Feb 2014 10:16

Kes is right though, you can't hate Chelsea because of Abramovich. They were arrogant, classless, nouveau riche knuckle draggers long before he arrived on the scene. In fact Chelsea were formed as a rich man's plaything.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Feb 2014 11:24

NewCorkSeth Dislike - Tottenham, Aston Villa, West Ham, Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton. All irrational hatred. Except for Aston Villa, I know why I hate them.

Like - West Brom, Huddersfield, Arsenal

Irrational hatred. Lovely stuff.

Im sure if someone delved deep into your psyche they would come up with a perfectly good reason. Like you could never get their badge whilst collecting Football '83s. Or they had an annoying player 25 years ago and you've never let it go. Or in your early supporting days one bad decision against your club has just left a bad flavour in your mouth ever since. Its certainly the latter for me with Bolton, all started before 95 and a cheat called Tony Philliskirk (pen). His son now plays for Oldham and I don't like them much now either.

145 posts