Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 199
Esteban

Re: Red Card-Yes or No?

by Esteban » 16 Feb 2014 20:16

Looked reckless from where I was, but I'd like to see it again. Is there a link to it anywhere?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Feb 2014 20:27

Esteban Looked reckless from where I was, but I'd like to see it again. Is there a link to it anywhere?

FB

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Feb 2014 20:29

'Just nicking the ball' doesn't stop a tackle being reckless. If it's reckless then you can get the whole of the ball and still be in big trouble.

Given that everyone agrees it was a yellow, and the FA can't downgrade a red to a yellow there is nowhere to go with an appeal, especially as Adkins has already said he has no complaints

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Feb 2014 20:31

Nameless 'Just nicking the ball' doesn't stop a tackle being reckless. If it's reckless then you can get the whole of the ball and still be in big trouble.

Given that everyone agrees it was a yellow, and the FA can't downgrade a red to a yellow there is nowhere to go with an appeal, especially as Adkins has already said he has no complaints

Anyone remember Bryn's perfect two footed jump in the PL? Didn't touch the player, got all of the ball, timed it perfectly. Red card. Because if he'd got it at all wrong, it'd be really nasty.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Feb 2014 20:36

Esteban Looked reckless from where I was on the sofa, but I'd like to see it again. Is there a link to it anywhere?

I am sure someone will have one.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 Feb 2014 21:08

Royal Rother
kwik-silva yellow card, never a red. Awful decision.

This is the correct answer.

This, was amazed when the ref produced the red.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Feb 2014 21:21

A three game game ban looming, and at 3-1 up...what a cock thing to do....benefit of the doubt in front of his old home fans

But NO not a red

(this one will not get rescinded)

fruits

by fruits » 16 Feb 2014 21:48

Always expected one of our players would receive a red card in this game.

Little Reading appealed against a decision by a ref last week and won, todays
ref wanted to show that appeals against colleagues decisions shouldn´t be made.
The refs union is a strong one and they stick together like effluent on a sheet.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Feb 2014 21:52

Think that their figurehead Howard Webb will take their union plaudits this week.

Nobody likes Suarez....and yes...he is a diving ponce....but when he is scthyed in the box, that is normally a penalty...especially when in full view of your world cup eyes

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 16 Feb 2014 22:20

Not even close to a red - on first glance or replays for me. Took the ball, trailing leg tucked under his arse, not high, not off the ground, no studs, a yellow should have been produced for slightly over-zealous force - nothing more.

Don Goodman immediately said it was a terrible tackle, before changing his mind with a replay. But then Don Goodman also said Rob Green was a top class goalkeeper.... so I'm happy to discount his opinion.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Feb 2014 22:34

I thought it was probably going to result in a red in real time, but it was on the borderline, and could have gone either way.

Also, can people stop saying "it was reckless, red card"? "Reckless" is the textbook definition of a yellow card foul. In order for it to be serious foul play then "excessive force" is required.
Ian Royal
Nameless 'Just nicking the ball' doesn't stop a tackle being reckless. If it's reckless then you can get the whole of the ball and still be in big trouble.

Anyone remember Bryn's perfect two footed jump in the PL? Didn't touch the player, got all of the ball, timed it perfectly. Red card. Because if he'd got it at all wrong, it'd be really nasty.

My memory of that one (WHam away?) was that he got neither player nor ball.

Nameless '

Given that everyone agrees it was a yellow, and the FA can't downgrade a red to a yellow there is nowhere to go with an appeal,

That isn't how it works. However, I agree that we would be extremely unlikely to succeed on appeal.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Feb 2014 23:10

I think people are saying that making the challenge was reckless, not that it was a red card because it was a reckless challenge.

jellytot

by jellytot » 16 Feb 2014 23:17

It was a silly challenge. Thoughtless. He did not have to go in like that. Hoilett was not in a very dangerous position. We were 3-1 up... why do that? Let him try to cross it.

We could appeal, but it was a bit reckless and dangerous. Not hopeful.

When is Morro back?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Feb 2014 23:19

sandman if you consider that a reckless challenge

Esteban Looked reckless from where I was, but I'd like to see it again.

Nameless If it's reckless then you can get the whole of the ball and still be in big trouble.

Nameless The question is whether the tackle was reckless that can be the case if it is one footed and touches the ball.

Percy's Rocket Might just get off on the basis of that replay unless they decide it was reckless.

Those are all the uses of "reckless" in this thread prior to my post. All of them (except possibly Esteban's) are in the context of whether the challenge deserved a red, not whether Gorkss is a silly boy.

Edit: oh, and we now have this from jellytot, who separately states that Gorkss is a silly boy:
[quote=jellytot]We could appeal, but it was a bit reckless[/quote]

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Feb 2014 23:28

Silver Fox Never a red. The only thing worse than the decision was Don Goodman's sub-ITV "analysis" of the incident

FWIW the ref was an absolute homer the whole game, apparently no foul on Pog was unacceptable, not that it stopped us though so who cares

^^^ this

Dunne assaulted Pog for the whole game - no wonder he was injured today

And not far behind the ref was the Lino on the left side as we looked out. What a tool. The ref even over ruled him a couple of times

But yeh who cares?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Feb 2014 23:33

SCIAG
sandman if you consider that a reckless challenge

Esteban Looked reckless from where I was, but I'd like to see it again.

Nameless If it's reckless then you can get the whole of the ball and still be in big trouble.

Nameless The question is whether the tackle was reckless that can be the case if it is one footed and touches the ball.

Percy's Rocket Might just get off on the basis of that replay unless they decide it was reckless.

Those are all the uses of "reckless" in this thread prior to my post. All of them (except possibly Esteban's) are in the context of whether the challenge deserved a red, not whether Gorkss is a silly boy.

Edit: oh, and we now have this from jellytot, who separately states that Gorkss is a silly boy:
[quote=jellytot]We could appeal, but it was a bit reckless
[/quote]

"If you consider that reckless" is not the same as "I consider that reckless".

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 17 Feb 2014 02:08

grey_squirrel It was a yellow.

But no way we will succesffully appeal two reds in consecutive weeks, regardless, so I we'll just (have to) live with it.

Basically this. The ref was gagging to give the home team something, thank god it didn't mess with the result. Still, Gorkss out is a huge miss, he's been a rock and far better than Pearce in recent games.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 17 Feb 2014 02:23

The pass from Barton was so bad it resulted in a 50/50 challenge, never a red, but we move on.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 17 Feb 2014 06:58

The referees assistant flagged for the offence as he was closer much closer than the referee.

The referee should have consulted with him before making a decision.

Personally think it was a yellow.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2014 07:35

Sciag is right to point out the error, although my points still stand that a tackle doesn't have to be 2 footed to be a red card, nor does getting a slight touch on the ball mean anything goes.
In this case 'reckless' does describe the tackle, it wasn't excessive force, it was poorly judged and slightly late but other than that.....

193 posts