Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 199
Chuckle Brother

Re: Red Card-Yes or No?

by Chuckle Brother » 17 Feb 2014 07:50

Silly challenge, but he got the ball. And being silly is not a red card offence.

Otherwise the entire back 5 and quite a few of the midfield would have been off after the equaliser.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Feb 2014 08:17

The Real Sandhurst Royal The referees assistant flagged for the offence as he was closer much closer than the referee.

The referee should have consulted with him before making a decision.

Personally think it was a yellow.

Two officials can see the offence at the same time you know. It's not a game where you flag and I blow.

Do you think the referee gave the red because of the manner in which assistant waved his flag?

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 17 Feb 2014 08:40

Nameless Sciag is right to point out the error, although my points still stand that a tackle doesn't have to be 2 footed to be a red card, nor does getting a slight touch on the ball mean anything goes.
In this case 'reckless' does describe the tackle, it wasn't excessive force, it was poorly judged and slightly late but other than that.....

How can a tackle which nicked the ball, be described as "slightly late"??

I'd say a tackle which nicks the ball before the man is within the boundaries of being "on time" personally....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2014 09:01

Exactly, No excessive force, no recklessness and no morris dancing just a good tackle with one foot and studs down which got the ball. If he went in at a slower pace then he'd have been left tackling thin air with the Hoilett long gone.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Feb 2014 09:40

Chuckle Brother Silly challenge, but he got the ball. And being silly is not a red card offence.

Wow.

I like the way you've been efficiently wrong here.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 17 Feb 2014 09:41

paultheroyal
The Real Sandhurst Royal The referees assistant flagged for the offence as he was closer much closer than the referee.

Two officials can see the offence at the same time you know. It's not a game where you flag and I blow.

Do you think the referee gave the red because of the manner in which assistant waved his flag?

Are they all mic'd up at this level?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Feb 2014 09:43

paultheroyal

As a ref, may I ask that you tell us what you would have given.

My own reading was that it was probably reckless, could be seen as dangerous, so definitely a yellow and a borderline if somewhat harsh red.

But as a (current? professional?) referee, could you enlighten us all a little bit here?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 17 Feb 2014 09:49

Not a red for me. Looked a good tackle, especially where he got the ball first, but I can sympathise with the referee being given the decision to make for being off the ground/reckless/out of control, but it looked like a yellow for me.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Feb 2014 09:56

Never a red card. tbh in Sunday league I doubt it would even have been a foul - strong, one-footed tackle without coming off the ground and he won the ball.

Was astonished to see the red

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Feb 2014 10:56

Did Adkins say we would not appeal - did not hear his interview on BBCRB. Surprised if so as Gorkks is facing a 4 match ban.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 17 Feb 2014 10:59

andrew1957 Did Adkins say mwe would not appeal - did not hear his interview on BBCRB. Surprised if so as Gorkks is facing a 4 match ban.

He said that when interviewed straight after the game based on one real time view from the opposite side of the pitch to the dug out but he did also say he would take a view when he has seen the tape back afterwards.

I think now he has seen it back an appeal will be lodged. Be surprised if we don't.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Feb 2014 11:07

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Feb 2014 11:53

Never a red in a million years. A silly challenge, but the context of it got him sent off. There is no way the ref would have sent him off at 0-0 with 10mins to go. Or if that had happened in the penalty area, pen and a yellow. The commentary is indeed laughable. They barely mention the tackle and then get all uppity about it being a certain red.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 17 Feb 2014 12:24

Kitsondinho Never a red in a million years. A silly challenge, but the context of it got him sent off. There is no way the ref would have sent him off at 0-0 with 10mins to go. Or if that had happened in the penalty area, pen and a yellow. The commentary is indeed laughable. They barely mention the tackle and then get all uppity about it being a certain red.

I kind of agree. Had it been a bit closer to the penalty area, but with the player still not running straight through on goal, the decision that it was not a direct goal-scoring opportunity might have saved Gorkss.

For me, this was like the kind of tackle they show most weeks in the lower divisions bit on the Football League Show, generally preceeded by commentary about how the day wasn't going to get any better for the player being sent off.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Feb 2014 12:49

Maguire Never a red card. tbh in Sunday league I doubt it would even have been a foul - strong, one-footed tackle without coming off the ground and he won the ball.

Was astonished to see the red

To me this is always a good test of whether a decision is correct or not
Unfortunately Premier and Football League officials have been instructed to interpret things differntly

The game is poorer for that

Having said all that never a red anyway

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Feb 2014 12:51

Why do people keep saying that winning a tackle was a silly thing for Gorrks to do?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Feb 2014 13:08

Not surprised it was a red. But that says more about the quality of referees and the way of today's game, then the actual challenge.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 17 Feb 2014 13:25

Silver Fox Why do people keep saying that winning a tackle was a silly thing for Gorrks to do?

It's not that he won it, it's that he put himself in a position where he could get a red card.

It was a 50/50 at best, on the touchline with your team leading 3-1, do you need to make a sliding tackle where you run the risk of catching him unless your timing is spot on?

Yeah winning the ball with a slide would be great but if he'd stayed on his feet and kept him out wide the chances of him crossing or running through to score aren't exactly high.

As Adkins said, he gave the ref the chance to send him off which was the mistake. The decision was probably wrong but Gorkss should have judged the situation better.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Feb 2014 13:26

Gorrks should have stayed on his feet, especially in that area of the pitch where there was no threat. He gave the ref a decision to make. In real time I can see why the ref gave it. On the replay he clearly gets a bit of the ball first.

Given his experience Gorrks should have known better.

Pretty sure it won't be rescinded if Reading do appeal, although in reality it should be.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 17 Feb 2014 13:27

No Fixed Abode Gorrks should have stayed on his feet, especially in that area of the pitch where there was no threat. He gave the ref a decision to make. In real time I can see why the ref gave it. On the replay he clearly gets a bit of the ball first.

Given his experience Gorrks should have known better.

Pretty sure it won't be rescinded if Reading do appeal, although in reality it should be.

What kes said.

193 posts