Summer Rebuild - Your Preferred 5 To Go?

186 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Summer Rebuild - Your Preferred 5 To Go?

by melonhead » 22 Apr 2014 15:41

surely we just give them away to get them off our books

and even then its not guaranteed anyone will come in, and if they do will probably insist we carry on paying alot of their wages

cheers anton

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 22 Apr 2014 17:45

W&E Royal 1) Gorkss -contract
2) Roberts -contract
3) Carrico -sold
4) Ledge -contract
5) Jobi -contract
6) Bridge -contract
7) Cummings -contract -I think
8) Stuart Taylor -contract
9) Jake Taylor -contract
10) D'Ath -contract
11) Denthe - Offer to clubs for free if it gets his wages off our wage bill.
12) Pog -as above
13) HRK - I thought he'd push on after last season but he's worse than ever and on more money than ever-try and sell
14) McCarthy -Sell, probably one of our only true saleable assets with ALF.
15) ALF -Sell, time is done here.
16) Kelly - try and sell.
17) Feds -high earner so try and sell
18) Blackman
19) Guthrie - Sorry, should have been further up the list. High earner so try and sell.

I'd keep the rest.

Gunter
Pearce
Morro
Hector -Only new contract offer out of all the out of contract players
Obita -Only as a left back, he's not a winger.
Mcleary
Jem
Williams
Hope Akpan -I don't think he's that bad

I think that's it. Obviously this won't happen but I think it should. No doubt no one will buy the Pog or Drenthe so we'll be lumbered with their wages for another season.

I would promote a lot of the under 21's and then bulk it with lower league hungry players and free transfers.

Errrr, hold your horses, isn't that almost exactly what I said earlier in the thread..... only for the old bint to pipe up: "And who'd you have as goalie, Dickie?" :roll: :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Apr 2014 21:28

Well you still haven't answered my question Dickie boy! Who WOULD you have in goal?

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 22 Apr 2014 23:21

Dick Habbin's hairdo
W&E Royal 1) Gorkss -contract
2) Roberts -contract
3) Carrico -sold
4) Ledge -contract
5) Jobi -contract
6) Bridge -contract
7) Cummings -contract -I think
8) Stuart Taylor -contract
9) Jake Taylor -contract
10) D'Ath -contract
11) Denthe - Offer to clubs for free if it gets his wages off our wage bill.
12) Pog -as above
13) HRK - I thought he'd push on after last season but he's worse than ever and on more money than ever-try and sell
14) McCarthy -Sell, probably one of our only true saleable assets with ALF.
15) ALF -Sell, time is done here.
16) Kelly - try and sell.
17) Feds -high earner so try and sell
18) Blackman
19) Guthrie - Sorry, should have been further up the list. High earner so try and sell.

I'd keep the rest.

Gunter
Pearce
Morro
Hector -Only new contract offer out of all the out of contract players
Obita -Only as a left back, he's not a winger.
Mcleary
Jem
Williams
Hope Akpan -I don't think he's that bad

I think that's it. Obviously this won't happen but I think it should. No doubt no one will buy the Pog or Drenthe so we'll be lumbered with their wages for another season.

I would promote a lot of the under 21's and then bulk it with lower league hungry players and free transfers.

Errrr, hold your horses, isn't that almost exactly what I said earlier in the thread..... only for the old bint to pipe up: "And who'd you have as goalie, Dickie?" :roll: :lol:

Well you're very sensible then Dickie. There will be plenty of goalkeepes on free transfers or loan a young Prem keeper. I should be in charge of the purse strings at the Madejski. By the way, I know selling all these players is easier said than done.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

Who goes, Who stays ?

by howser » 03 May 2014 20:23

Well thats it another season has come to an end, more interesting than many we have had ! let down and given massive false promises by the Russian oxf*rd, I think that Adkins has done an amazing job, considering what I guess he was led to believe by the oxf*rd, in keeping it going till the last game. Now the burning question who will we still have her next year ?

For me the obvious out is Drenthe a total waste of money, time and effort

I tend to expect that the released will be

Taylor
Kelly
Cummings
Bridge
Arnold
Gorkss

Sell

McCarthy
Obita---with a season long loan arrangement back here to develop
Blackman---Don't think he will EVER be accepted by fans
Carrico---Done deal I believe
Guthrie---Rate this guy but wages will determine if he goes or not
Pog--------as Guthrie

I hope both Ledge and McAuff stay they are solid peformers at this level.

Whats the views of my learned friends on here ?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who goes, Who stays ?

by genome » 03 May 2014 20:29

We should do all we can to keep hold of Obita, McCleary and Williams. Although I want to see him stay as he is a gr8 keeper and young English talent, we might be able to stomach selling McCarthy, especially seeing as he would probably go for more than anyone else. Federici is a more than adequate replacement for the Champ.

Not really fussed about Drenthe, Guthrie, and we should get reluctantly get rid of Pog because of his wages/bonuses/apartment/groceries.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 May 2014 20:32

Keep McCarthy and McCleary.
Don't care about the rest other than Alf if he gets a strike partner who can hold, pass and move and not fall over 20 times per game.
Oh, and start next season with more than 2 strikers-we had more right backs than strikers this season which can't be right.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 03 May 2014 20:34

It's not as easy as who goes, who stays. Last summer we did everything we could to sell Pogrebnyak, but no-one would take him with the wages he was on. Now we have to bin him and Drenthe for a start - not as easy as it sounds once again.

Sadly, we are in such a state behind the scenes preferences go out the window as far as I'm concerned. I don't care who goes, I just hope enough do to bring enough money in to keep the club going, and then make the best of the academy as we can, and hope we don't go down next season. I doubt very much there will be one player exempt from the fire-sale IF the price is right.
Last edited by SPARTA on 03 May 2014 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2014 20:34

The issue is, for anyone in contract, there needs to be someone willing to buy them, who'll pay enough for them to go.

I'd like to see Pogrebnyak, Drenthe, Federici, Bridge and maybe even Guthrie or Williams go. I think Bridge is out of contract at least isn't he? But who's going to buy these players and pay them enough to accept?

Our saleable players are ALF, McCleary, Obita and McCarthy. But we don't want to lose them and be left with the lot above. Worst of every world.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 May 2014 20:42

Victor Meldrew Don't care about the rest other than Alf if he gets a strike partner who can hold, pass and move and not fall over 20 times per game..

Dear lord are you really as stupid as you these comments make you out to be? thinking about it, thats not really possible tbh
Last edited by windermere_royal on 03 May 2014 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 May 2014 20:43

windermere_royal Dear lord are you really as stupid as you these

:lol:

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 03 May 2014 20:50

Victor Meldrew Don't care about the rest other than Alf

:roll:
Deluded

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 May 2014 20:51

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 03 May 2014 20:52

windermere_royal
Victor Meldrew Don't care about the rest other than Alf if he gets a strike partner who can hold, pass and move and not fall over 20 times per game..

Dear lord are you really as stupid as you these comments make you out to be? thinking about it, thats not really possible tbh

Well, Victor has a point. Footy is a simple game. Control. Pass. Move.

[size=50]*that's why no Arab nation will ever - EVER - win a world cup.[/size]

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 03 May 2014 20:52

Honestly, I'd love to keep Blackman. Wigan he looked great, and had a good little spell in January as well.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 May 2014 20:54

howser Well thats it another season has come to an end, more interesting than many we have had ! let down and given massive false promises by the Russian oxf*rd, I think that Adkins has done an amazing job, considering what I guess he was led to believe by the oxf*rd, in keeping it going till the last game. Now the burning question who will we still have her next year ?

For me the obvious out is Drenthe a total waste of money, time and effort

I tend to expect that the released will be

Taylor
Kelly
Cummings
Bridge
Arnold
Gorkss

Sell

McCarthy
Obita---with a season long loan arrangement back here to develop
Blackman---Don't think he will EVER be accepted by fans
Carrico---Done deal I believe
Guthrie---Rate this guy but wages will determine if he goes or not
Pog--------as Guthrie

I hope both Ledge and McAuff stay they are solid peformers at this level.

Whats the views of my learned friends on here ?

Didn't even realise that we had Nick Arnold on a professional contract!

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 03 May 2014 21:08

For a good Pog parallel look at Zigic at Brum; been trying to get rid of him for years but no-one will touch him because of his £50/60k p/w wages. At least he helped keep them up today though so money well spent in one regard.

Pog and Drenthe won't be going anywhere unless a) someone agrees to match their wages (highly unlikely) or b) we pay them off (very unlikely) - loaning them out with us paying a reduced portion of their wages is probably our best hope in the short term. The alternative is to stick them in the reserves and hope they take a pay cut to engineer a move away for the sake of their career but neither strike me as particularly career minded else why would they be at RFC in the first place? Worrying times ahead - we can only hope that our now confirmed league position might expedite some clarification around the ownership situation.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2014 21:11

Pretty much anyone out of contract has probably now played their last game for the club, unless we see a new owner stump up money pretty damn quick or we manage to offload some of the remaining top earns in time to budget without them (highly unlikely as other clubs will play it cool and a lot of activity won't kick off until its too late for us).

I really hope we can sort something out with Hector though. He might not be Championship standard but it would be good for the club to have Pearce, Hector and Morrison on the books next season.

Guthrie and Williams will be interesting ones to watch over the summer too. The latter hasn't done enough for us to be courted too much, but there may be interest in him. Guthrie has looked really good at times but his wages are the key. To have Guthrie and Karacan together next season would leave us in good shape, with Akpan, Taylor (subject to contract) and Khul as backup.

McCleary will rightfully be one player clubs will come in for. His contract is only until 2015 as well so we might struggle to get a great fee for him and lose him anyway. He's been a rare highlight this season so that would be a shame.

Upfront we will probably see a lot of movement. Le Fondre and Robson-Kanu might still be living off their brief highs in the Premier League and could be quite saleable assets.

It's going to be an interesting summer on many fronts though.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 May 2014 21:33

windermere_royal

Explain for those that, in your opinion, are stupid.
BTW was your first line in English?
Did you see how Barnes and Ings interacted with movement?
No, I didn't think so.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 May 2014 21:35

Have to say I don't know where to start. What really stunted our season? Injuries? The manager? The ownership issue? Its been a difficult season. Personally its difficult to know who I think should go, I still look at this team and think its good enough. A few weeks ago I had given up on Adkins but I think he deserves another season with a new owner helping him. The only one I would want out as I've seen little or nothing to impress me is Drenthe. I don't believe he's an Adkins player and I can't believe he was at RM. Two very good keepers is a luxury as well. Its a shame we lost Guthrie and Ledge for so much of the season. Ledge deserves another season. Some of the names being mentione d mystifies me. We have to be very careful what we wish for. I'm sure its gonna be a tough summer for Nige.

186 posts