Team for next season

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: Team for next season

by Handsome Man » 17 Apr 2014 08:59

chilipepper91
Victor Meldrew Am a bit surprised that a few want to keep Blackman and would like to know why.

I've never particularly understood the criticism of him - think he's been lumped in the same category as Akpan, i.e. a player who came in way above his level in the Premier League and, because of that, will never make it. Plus we all need a scapegoat...

For me, he's been one of a handful of players this season to show commitment, directness, and dare I say it, a goalscoring threat. IMO he's shown far more than the likes of HRK this term.

Is he a winger or is he a centre-forward? If he had just been a centre-forward, I think he would have had a run in the side this year, and we would know more about him. Subsisting on substitute appearances and the odd start out of position hasn't been good for him - the same has been true of HRK as well. If we had been luckier with our considerable efforts to ship out Pogrebnyak last summer, I don't think we would lost too much from having a larger contribution from either of them.

Blackman wasn't worth a million, but he didn't choose his transfer fee and he might have the potential to thrive at this level.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2014 17:43

chilipepper91
Victor Meldrew Am a bit surprised that a few want to keep Blackman and would like to know why.

I've never particularly understood the criticism of him - think he's been lumped in the same category as Akpan, i.e. a player who came in way above his level in the Premier League and, because of that, will never make it. Plus we all need a scapegoat...

For me, he's been one of a handful of players this season to show commitment, directness, and dare I say it, a goalscoring threat. IMO he's shown far more than the likes of HRK this term.

There's no faulting his effort, he's not played a single game where he's impressed him other than in the odd moment of skill. He's just so bang average.

He's not really a striker, he's not really a winger. He's possibly a wide forward in an attacking three, but without enough goal threat.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 17 Apr 2014 22:24

Can't be bothered to pick from the list of players in the earlier posts. But clearly the clubs finances are not good, so if we don't get promoted, then I think the policy will be to try and off load the high earners (Bridge, Pog, Guthrie, Carrico, Drenthe, Kelly etc etc), whether that's right or wrong. With the success of the U21's and U18's I'd love to see more of them getting a chance next season.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 17 Apr 2014 23:13

Best thing we can do is clear out most of the team and start again

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 18 Apr 2014 08:28

RoyallyFcuked Best thing we can do is clear out most of the team and start again

Yep, brilliant.

:roll:

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 18 Apr 2014 09:10

Jamie Ward and Jordi Gomez are musts on a free next season... surely

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 19 Apr 2014 16:59

Goalkeepers
Mikkel Andersen
Adam Federici

Jon Henly
Daniel Lincoln
Alex McCarthy
Stuart Moore

Stuart Taylor

Defenders
Nick Arnold
Wayne Bridge
Jake Cooper

Shaun Cummings
Kaspars Gorkšs

Shane Griffin
Chris Gunter
Michael Hector

Stephen Kelly
Niall Keown
Sean Long
Sean Morrison

Matt Partridge
Alex Pearce
Pierce Sweeney

Midfielders
Hope Akpan
Daniel Carriço
Lawson D'Ath
Royston Drenthe

Ryan Edwards
Danny Guthrie
Jem Karacan

Mikele Leigertwood
Jobi McAnuff
Garath McCleary
Shepherd Murombedzi
Jordan Obita

Hal Robson-Kanu
Jake Taylor
Aaron Tshibola
Danny Williams

Attackers
Nick Blackman
Adam Le Fondre
Pavel Pogrebnyak

Dominic Samuel
Craig Tanner
Gozie Ugwu

Starting XI for next season:

McCarthy
Gunter - Pearce - Hector - New LB
McCleary - Williams - Karacan/Guthrie/Tshibola - Obita
New ST - Ugwu

(Or include both Karacan & Guthrie/Tshibola in 4-5-1)

Subs: Lincoln, Morrison, Bridge, Karacan/Guthrie/Tshibola, New CM, Tanner, Samuel/New ST

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Apr 2014 11:48

I've had 10 answers I can translate across into something, so based on this the numbers of keeps/leaves are

Keeps
Goalkeepers
First team Federici (6) McCarthy (6)
Others Andersen (2), Henly (8), Lincoln (9), Moore (8), Taylor (2)

Keeps
Defenders
First team Bridge (4), Cummings (3), Gorkss (1), Gunter (10), Hector (10), Kelly (2), Morrison (10), Pearce (8),
Others Arnold (4), Cooper (10), Griffin (8), Keown (10), Long (8), Partridge (1), Sweeney (10)

Keeps
Midfielders
First team; Akpan (3), Drenthe (5), Guthrie (6), Karacan (10), Leigertwood (2), McAnuff (7), McCleary (9), Obita (10), Robson-Kanu (3), Taylor (3), Williams (10)
Others; Carriço (4), D'Ath (3), Edwards (2), Murombedzi (6), Tshibola (10)

Keeps
Attackers
First team Blackman (3), Le Fondre (5), Pogrebnyak (4),
Others Samuel (8), Tanner (10), Ugwu (10)