Wigan (A) Match Thread sponsored by Jason Roberts

281 posts
rfc58

Re: Wigan (A) Match Thread sponsored by Jason Roberts

by rfc58 » 18 Apr 2014 18:49

howser Disappointing as it is to lose, there is no way we are able to be a Premiership club again, we are so ill-equipped with the lack of talent we presently have at our disposal, and as long as this take over drifts on we are best trying to remain where we are. The total blame for this falls right at the feet of the conning Russian bastard, he sold Sir John, Adkins and the supporters a complete bluff with his false lame ambitions.

Adkins takes a fair amount of shit on theses threads, but, look at his other two sides he has managed both played passing, attractive football scored goals and were exciting to watch, we could all see when he came in last yearthat we neither had the players or the desire to play his way, then the Russian done a runner, after loading us with Drenthe and a second season of Pog, no doubt both on extortionate wages and just left us to it.

Sir John has said or hinted many times this past few months that he isnt in a position to bankroll the club with his other business activities struggling and for what he has done for us over the years we should accept that as fact.

We have been left with a dud pup by the Russian, I would love to know what his arrangements with Adkins were regarding transfer budgets during last years close season ? give Adkins the tools and he will do the job.

Agree with this. People wanted Rodgers out as he was "clueless", not done too bad for himself has he.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 18 Apr 2014 19:07

At last, some people are finally waking up to the fact that we're not good enough to go up. We have no money, this is not the team adkins wanted, SJM is not a billionairre,we have no proper owner, we have no cash, we're in the division we should be in.

If we were to go up, next season would be truly embarrassing.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 18 Apr 2014 19:10

It doesn't even matter who gets 6th, none of the ones battling for that position will be going up

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 18 Apr 2014 19:17

"He wants us to run through a brick wall. I'm not doing that. I might get injured...."

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 18 Apr 2014 19:30

howser Disappointing as it is to lose, there is no way we are able to be a Premiership club again, we are so ill-equipped with the lack of talent we presently have at our disposal, and as long as this take over drifts on we are best trying to remain where we are. The total blame for this falls right at the feet of the conning Russian bastard, he sold Sir John, Adkins and the supporters a complete bluff with his false lame ambitions.

Adkins takes a fair amount of shit on theses threads, but, look at his other two sides he has managed both played passing, attractive football scored goals and were exciting to watch, we could all see when he came in last year that we neither had the players or the desire to play his way, then the Russian done a runner, after loading us with Drenthe and a second season of Pog, no doubt both on extortionate wages and just left us to it.

Sir John has said or hinted many times this past few months that he isnt in a position to bankroll the club with his other business activities struggling and for what he has done for us over the years we should accept that as fact.

We have been left with a dud pup by the Russian, I would love to know what his arrangements with Adkins were regarding transfer budgets during last years close season ? give Adkins the tools and he will do the job.

Agree 100%

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Apr 2014 19:49

Royals boss Nigel Adkins was pulling no punches when it came to analysing a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Wigan this afternoon. "This was a game to come and win. Wigan were excellent on the day, we were shocking on the day," he said.

"I've got to digest why that was the case. In terms of one on one duels, we were set up similarly to them - so it should have been man for man all over the pitch.

"But we never got anywhere near winning our one on one duels, we didn't put a tackle in, we didn't make an interception, and when we got the ball we gave it away cheaply.

"They had a lot of quality on the football, a lot of movement, and let's make it perfectly clear, Wigan were very, very good today.

"But we've got to look at ourselves and we were nowhere near the level we have to be if we have serious aspirations to get ourselves promoted."

Two goals towards the end of the first half gave the hosts a comfortable cushion going into the break, and a third just after the restart ended the contest.

"I've just looked back at the three goals and if you don't stay with your runner, you're giving them a situation from which they can score a goal. I need to establish why that happened.

"Young Michael Hector in the middle of the park might have given a few passes away, but he showed a desire to get on the ball and a willingness to keep running. And Jordan Obita playing against a very talented winger did very well today. But collectively, it wasn't good enough.

"We're still in there fighting and we've got to go again on Tuesday. It is within our grasp. But we need to better than today, if we seriously want to get ourselves promoted to the Premier League this season."

"Whichever players wear the Reading shirt on Tuesday night have got to have a passion, a hunger and a desire to do well for the cause, and the grit to hang in there when things aren't quite going our way."

Asked where Wigan's performance ranked in terms of our opposition this season, the Royals boss admitted "They were the best.

"I thought they were the best team we have played against this season, they gave us more problems than any other team this season. They were excellent all round.

"All being well we'll meet them again in the play-off final...but we'll have to be a hell of a lot better than we were today!"

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 18 Apr 2014 19:55

Arguably the most grating thing is that Brighton could pip that last play-off spot off us, and they will never live it down.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 20:23

genome Royals boss Nigel Adkins was pulling no punches when it came to analysing a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Wigan this afternoon. "This was a game to come and win. Wigan were excellent on the day, we were shocking on the day," he said.

"I've got to digest why that was the case. In terms of one on one duels, we were set up similarly to them - so it should have been man for man all over the pitch.

"But we never got anywhere near winning our one on one duels, we didn't put a tackle in, we didn't make an interception, and when we got the ball we gave it away cheaply.

"They had a lot of quality on the football, a lot of movement, and let's make it perfectly clear, Wigan were very, very good today.

"But we've got to look at ourselves and we were nowhere near the level we have to be if we have serious aspirations to get ourselves promoted."

Two goals towards the end of the first half gave the hosts a comfortable cushion going into the break, and a third just after the restart ended the contest.

"I've just looked back at the three goals and if you don't stay with your runner, you're giving them a situation from which they can score a goal. I need to establish why that happened.

"Young Michael Hector in the middle of the park might have given a few passes away, but he showed a desire to get on the ball and a willingness to keep running. And Jordan Obita playing against a very talented winger did very well today. But collectively, it wasn't good enough.

"We're still in there fighting and we've got to go again on Tuesday. It is within our grasp. But we need to better than today, if we seriously want to get ourselves promoted to the Premier League this season."

"Whichever players wear the Reading shirt on Tuesday night have got to have a passion, a hunger and a desire to do well for the cause, and the grit to hang in there when things aren't quite going our way."

Asked where Wigan's performance ranked in terms of our opposition this season, the Royals boss admitted "They were the best.

"I thought they were the best team we have played against this season, they gave us more problems than any other team this season. They were excellent all round.

"All being well we'll meet them again in the play-off final...but we'll have to be a hell of a lot better than we were today!"
Ouch, particularly for everyone who isn't Michael Hector or Jordan Obita.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Apr 2014 05:04

That is a scathing indictment of the team's performance on Friday. To get a shout out, like Hector did, from Adkins for just giving a decent effort is more than telling. On top of it we were ridiculed in the national press over play in this game. It was a "big game" on a day when the Championship was front and center being the highest league in action and the Wigan-Reading game was considered the "marquee match-up" of the day. And we couldn't be arsed to show up for the game. Lack of execution can be forgiven (even if it is mystifying considering the talent (on paper) we have) but a comprehensive lack of effort is completely unacceptable.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Apr 2014 09:11

Quality has been missing all season but now desire is missing as well, despite being in with a chance of promotion? Bizarre.

Sounds like Adkins is thinking he can at least rely on youth to provide one of the missing ingredients.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Apr 2014 09:15

Fuck the first team. Too many players who lack basic football skills like pass and move and can't receive a pass under pressure.

I'll be watching the academy this afternoon to make me feel better about the abject failure that is the performances from the players in the first team this season.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 19 Apr 2014 22:13

genome
royal_ross Rant over.

You should see a doctor about your rage.

Have tried & failed. Using an alternative therapy called 'home matches'. :shock:

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 20 Apr 2014 11:51

Libertine said:
That is a scathing indictment of the team's performance on Friday. To get a shout out, like Hector did, from Adkins for just giving a decent effort is more than telling. On top of it we were ridiculed in the national press over play in this game. It was a "big game" on a day when the Championship was front and center being the highest league in action and the Wigan-Reading game was considered the "marquee match-up" of the day. And we couldn't be arsed to show up for the game. Lack of execution can be forgiven (even if it is mystifying considering the talent (on paper) we have) but a comprehensive lack of effort is completely unacceptable.

Sounds like my appraisal of the Bournemouth game. How the hell can you not get up for a game like this? Had a text from a Sunderland mate this morning saying that we're doing okay as we're still around the play offs. My reply was along the lines of 'are you 'avin a laugh mate?' This lot, for some unexplicable reason, are already on the beach :evil:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2014 12:02

Having just seen the goals, when will we ever learn (same v Bournemouth and Leicester) defenders/midfielders have to block shots and not just let the opposition players shoot?
This is not Div 2 where you might expect strikers to miss, we got into this bad habit last season and were punished and we still do it.
Basic stuff really , along with just throwing the ball away at throw-ins and the full-backs not attempting to block crosses, which suggests to me that the coaching is crap.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 20 Apr 2014 13:14

Victor Meldrew Having just seen the goals, when will we ever learn (same v Bournemouth and Leicester) defenders/midfielders have to block shots and not just let the opposition players shoot?
This is not Div 2 where you might expect strikers to miss, we got into this bad habit last season and were punished and we still do it.
Basic stuff really , along with just throwing the ball away at throw-ins and the full-backs not attempting to block crosses, which suggests to me that the coaching is crap.

It's probably not that the coaching is crap, it's that the message they're trying to put out isn't getting through to the players, which is a failure on both parties. At Southampton Adkins had some really gifted technical players who hadn't yet developed egos. He can't handle/ adapt to the current crop he's in charge of, so it's either replace the manager, replace the players or both!
I can't stand Guthrie, he has the biggest ego of all, a complete twat. I'll bet some of the others notice that despite this he gets in the team every week, so why should they behave?
I believe the core is good, and a decent, adaptable manager would have seen us fighting for automatic promotion, but Adkins isn't that guy i'm afraid, much like Rodgers wasn't a few years ago.
Roll on May and hopefully goodbye to Adkins, Guthrie and any other tossers among the squad...

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 20 Apr 2014 13:22

Victor Meldrew Having just seen the goals, when will we ever learn (same v Bournemouth and Leicester) defenders/midfielders have to block shots and not just let the opposition players shoot?

Could blame it on the coaching but I think its more down to individual mistakes. CB's aren't good enough for this level which was proven by Morrison's horror show in the game.

If you think back to all of the goals we have conceded due to a players own mistake there must have been at least half a dozen that have ultimately cost us vital points.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Apr 2014 13:27

Unbelievable Jeff

Could blame it on the coaching but I think its more down to individual mistakes. CB's aren't good enough for this level which was proven by Morrison's horror show in the game.

If you think back to all of the goals we have conceded due to a players own mistake there must have been at least half a dozen that have ultimately cost us vital points.

our midfield has struggled tracking runners for years. It was a chronic problem the entire of McDermott's reign. The defence look scared of committing themselves and getting done all ends up, which is partly confidence and partly a pace related issue I think. They know they aren't that quick and will struggle to recover from a mistake or to get to the ball first. So they stand off and get punished.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Apr 2014 15:51

marcusopp

It's probably not that the coaching is crap, it's that the message they're trying to put out isn't getting through to the players, which is a failure on both parties. At Southampton Adkins had some really gifted technical players who hadn't yet developed egos. He can't handle/ adapt to the current crop he's in charge of, so it's either replace the manager, replace the players or both!
I can't stand Guthrie, he has the biggest ego of all, a complete twat. I'll bet some of the others notice that despite this he gets in the team every week, so why should they behave?
I believe the core is good, and a decent, adaptable manager would have seen us fighting for automatic promotion, but Adkins isn't that guy i'm afraid, much like Rodgers wasn't a few years ago.
Roll on May and hopefully goodbye to Adkins, Guthrie and any other tossers among the squad...

His defensive record with Southampton wasn't that special according to my Saints m8s.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Apr 2014 01:44

Ian Royal
Unbelievable Jeff

our midfield has struggled tracking runners for years. It was a chronic problem the entire of McDermott's reign. The defence look scared of committing themselves and getting done all ends up, which is partly confidence and partly a pace related issue I think. They know they aren't that quick and will struggle to recover from a mistake or to get to the ball first. So they stand off and get punished.

That's bullshit

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Apr 2014 10:03

glass half full "He wants us to run through a brick wall. I'm not doing that. I might get injured...."

He wants us to run through a brick wall. I'm not doing that. He's not loaning me out to Hogwarts...."

281 posts