Who would you like in charge next season?

122 posts

Who would you like to see manage the team in August?

Nigel Adkins
56%
Eamonn Dolan
16%
Steve Clarke
3%
Chris Hughton
2%
Malky Mackay
7%
Brian McDermott
10%
Paolo Di Canio
1%
Phil Parkinson
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 199
RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who would you like in charge next season?

by RoyallyFcuked » 18 Apr 2014 22:14

Libertine NA with a clear-out of players whose skill set only allows the team to play hoofball. This squad needs to be rebuilt to one that can string a few passes together and get more than 2 shots on target per game. The current players are not up to playing a game of football like that...

Post of the year. Well said. A lot of the players from the McD era need to be moved on for us to progress.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 18 Apr 2014 22:19

peterroyal76
SPARTA Last summer Adkins was promised money and got next to nothing. Majorly let down by Zingarevich.
Last January Adkins was promised money and got next to nothing. Majorly let down by Madejski.

He deserves a chance to clear out the half-arsed over-paid dead wood and build his own team!

If Adkins decided he'd had enough, and who could blame him, then Dolan!

All of this.

+1

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 18 Apr 2014 22:34

I think its fairly obvious that the lack of ability in the squad is the problem. Too many of the players can't adapt and are still stuck in the same shit style of football we played under McD. Clear most of these guys out and we will see a big improvement under Adkins.

The team is seriously lacking in any real creativity and flair. Players like McCleary, HRK and Le Fondre would benefit hugely from having creative players around them that can play decent football.

The problem is Adkins will probably have next to nothing to spend again, which means we will keep too many below par players and wont see any improvement. I wonder why that is.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 22:40

MmmMonsterMunch
Ian Royal Yeah, but for who? It's simply not realistic to ask him to play a team made up mostly of 18 and 19 year olds. He's gone with Obita and he's used Hector. He's hardly shy about playing kids if he thinks they're ready.

I'll be amazed if there aren't changes. But we don't have the bodies to make wholesale ones. Can you imagine what stick he'd get if he did play something like the team below and it got stuffed by 3 or more? It'd be horrendus.

Federici
Gunter, Pearce, Hector, Obita
Blackman, Kuhl, Tshibola, Tanner
Taylor
Ugwu

That's exactly my point though - He wouldn't get stick for it & people would actually respect it. And so what if we get stuffed? The first 11 will anyway.
I think it would be a terrible decision and he'd get absolutely hammered for it.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Apr 2014 22:48

Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch
Ian Royal Yeah, but for who? It's simply not realistic to ask him to play a team made up mostly of 18 and 19 year olds. He's gone with Obita and he's used Hector. He's hardly shy about playing kids if he thinks they're ready.

I'll be amazed if there aren't changes. But we don't have the bodies to make wholesale ones. Can you imagine what stick he'd get if he did play something like the team below and it got stuffed by 3 or more? It'd be horrendus.

Federici
Taylor
Ugwu

That's exactly my point though - He wouldn't get stick for it & people would actually respect it. And so what if we get stuffed? The first 11 will anyway.
I think it would be a terrible decision and he'd get absolutely hammered for it.

I agree with MMM.
I'd love to see the team above, and so would plenty of others.
Everyone in the real world knows full well that the 1st team are shit and are likely to lose heavily at any moment in time.
Nobody would hold a loss against youth team players given how crap the performances of the 1st team have been for almost 2 full seasons.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 18 Apr 2014 22:51

Are you lot real. Just watch the substitutions, clueless springs to mind. Time for change, but who......

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 18 Apr 2014 23:32

MmmMonsterMunch

Federici
Taylor
Ugwu

He'd get a ton of stick and rightly so. But at least if he was obviously trying to lose it would make more sense than whatever he's up to at the moment and has been since Norwich away last year

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 18 Apr 2014 23:54

No question Adkins should stay ! anyway what other manager would come to a club without a difinative owner, no gauging of the summer cash available for signings, I guess we are not a very attractive proposition at the moment.

As for Adkins he won't walk and with his track record of bringing youngsters through we will be ok, but, only at our present level until a new cash supplier arrives. Ironically those who want to see Dolan in the hot seat, his kids sides play the way that Adkins would want his seniors to play.

As a footnote to this poll only 15 out of 102 (14.7%) are wanting McDermott, is his popularity finally drifting ?.
Last edited by howser on 18 Apr 2014 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 18 Apr 2014 23:55

Ian Royal I think you're over-egging Adkins influence on the Academy and under playing Dolan's. From all that most of the people who've been watching the youth for more than this season have said, they haven't really changed the way they do things.

I agree, NA has had no import in the academy the style of football was always there under the tutelage of Dolan. It was the existing Southampton Manager that bought the academy players like Luke shaw in the 1st Team playing regulary. Under NA he wasn't getting much of a chance to the point Shaw was looking for another Club. If we have so many injuries why was Jake Taylor not given a run out or other squad members. If you play shite you still played the next week. I'm not convinced that NA knows what his next move is. I don't think he will start with any Academy Players even if we don't reach the playoff, they didn't do it last season when there was still games left and we already knew we were relegated.

If NA decides to leave I would have Zola Manager and Dolan as assistant

scumbag

by scumbag » 19 Apr 2014 02:08

Eddie Howe is a top shout if we could prise him away. But I agree the ownership seems far more important.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Apr 2014 03:57

RoyallyFcuked I think its fairly obvious that the lack of ability in the squad is the problem. Too many of the players can't adapt and are still stuck in the same shit style of football we played under McD. Clear most of these guys out and we will see a big improvement under Adkins.

The team is seriously lacking in any real creativity and flair. Players like McCleary, HRK and Le Fondre would benefit hugely from having creative players around them that can play decent football.

The problem is Adkins will probably have next to nothing to spend again, which means we will keep too many below par players and wont see any improvement. I wonder why that is.

Yep, well said. As I recall, most in here predicted/expected us in or around top 6 this season. Which, we are. Yet, we need to get rid? For who, Eddie Howe? NA needs another season. And so does Eddie Howe.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 19 Apr 2014 06:51

Lol at people wanting Adkins out, can't you remember the fine performance in the dead rubber against Fulham last year? Shows what a fine coach he is.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Apr 2014 11:17

mambo3
Ian Royal I think you're over-egging Adkins influence on the Academy and under playing Dolan's. From all that most of the people who've been watching the youth for more than this season have said, they haven't really changed the way they do things.

I agree, NA has had no import in the academy the style of football was always there under the tutelage of Dolan. It was the existing Southampton Manager that bought the academy players like Luke shaw in the 1st Team playing regulary. Under NA he wasn't getting much of a chance to the point Shaw was looking for another Club. If we have so many injuries why was Jake Taylor not given a run out or other squad members. If you play shite you still played the next week. I'm not convinced that NA knows what his next move is. I don't think he will start with any Academy Players even if we don't reach the playoff, they didn't do it last season when there was still games left and we already knew we were relegated.

If NA decides to leave I would have Zola Manager and Dolan as assistant

That's not what I said. Adkins has clearly tried to start extending the academy ethos into the first team. He's played Taylor who wasn't very impressive by most accounts and is an young attacking midfielder. Not what you want in a scratch built midfield. He's made Obita one of the first names on the team sheet and given Hector games too.

Dano

by Dano » 19 Apr 2014 11:26

I voted Adkins. If it doesn’t work out next season, I’d love to see Eddie Howe come in. I could only see him coming in if we had new ownership & more funds available for new signings though.

I also really liked what Steve Clarke did at West Brom - What a silly decision it was getting rid of him.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 19 Apr 2014 15:58

It really doesn't take much to go from a mid-table team to one of the top four in this division.[/quote]

It also doesn't take much to end up being relegation fodder either - just ask any Blackpool fan following their start to this season, or Watford fans after last season

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Apr 2014 16:09

Look good when Tanner and Tish are involved but that's about it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Apr 2014 16:14

Thing they're probs a bit too young to take charge of the team though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Apr 2014 16:27

3points
It really doesn't take much to go from a mid-table team to one of the top four in this division.

It also doesn't take much to end up being relegation fodder either - just ask any Blackpool fan following their start to this season, or Watford fans after last season

Watford are 13th 17 points clear of the bottom three, I'd hardly call that relegation fodder. Blackpool were 15th last season and I don't think anyone expected their superb start to be sustained. But you could have used Reading under Rodgers.

However, only three can go down and there's usually a certainty or two amongst them. Six have a chance of promotion. It's easier to go mid-table to pushing for the play offs than relegation struggle. Particularly if you've got a decent set up for the level you're at. But that's just my opinion.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Apr 2014 17:30

We need a change, not sure who but we need someone else, not Adkins

From my post in another thread

I would say management whether football management or not, is nearly always about coping with and resolving problems. Adkins has shown no ability to solve problems, no prowess at motivating players and little PR skills. Pretty much all the things you want a manager to do. Yes there have been injuries, yes there have been disciplines issues, but so what? Deal with it, manage it! Making a team out of individuals is what previous managers have done and I don't see any evidence that he has that ability

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 Apr 2014 17:35

bcubed We need a change, not sure who but we need someone else, not Adkins

From my post in another thread

I would say management whether football management or not, is nearly always about coping with and resolving problems. Adkins has shown no ability to solve problems, no prowess at motivating players and little PR skills. Pretty much all the things you want a manager to do. Yes there have been injuries, yes there have been disciplines issues, but so what? Deal with it, manage it! Making a team out of individuals is what previous managers have done and I don't see any evidence that he has that ability

Did you cut and paste that from a Brendan Rodgers thread?

122 posts