Boro - Turn Your Back Protest

135 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Boro - Turn Your Back Protest

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2014 21:05

Mostly agreed, top 5-6 would be fairer. And I'm not sure Id be so dismissive of the majority of squad and manager for the future.

I'm not sure I'd say I thought we were going to turn a corner, I did think we were giving ourselves the opportunity to be well placed if we could manage it. The season's been meh, I just don't think that's such a huge deal.

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 18 Apr 2014 21:24

Ian Royal Thoroughly agreed this season has been a total disaster. I can't believe we've had to suffer a double relegation, sold our best players, abandoned our Academy and look like losing the stadium.
#Turn your backs

Might end up like that next season

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 18 Apr 2014 21:39

People need to understand that we don't have any where near the beat squads in the league. Our back four are a joke, midfield can't create a thing and pof/alf don't stand a chance. This team are hopeless and unless we seriously change it for next season are in deep trouble.

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 18 Apr 2014 21:55

Haven't seen any banners at the Mad stad since on the 8th day Brian Created God... what about on the 8th day Anton created Satin or something more simple like Antons a twa*

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 18 Apr 2014 22:10

JakeTheRoyal Haven't seen any banners at the Mad stad since on the 8th day Brian Created God... what about on the 8th day Anton created Satin

I didn't know Anton was in the fashion game.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Apr 2014 22:10

JakeTheRoyal Haven't seen any banners at the Mad stad since on the 8th day Brian Created God... what about on the 8th day Anton created Satin or something more simple like Antons a twa*

Yeah, you could display that message on an expensive sheet.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Apr 2014 22:48

PANTS

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 18 Apr 2014 22:57

1871 not 1998 When are you powderpuff Reading fans going to make a point and demonstrate your displeasure at the pathetic, lifeless, half arsed performances we've have to put up with this season?

Turn your back for the first minute at kick-off!

Anton and his broken promises OUT
Madejski and his broken promises OUT
Over-paid mercenaries OUT

Good grief. As if it would make any difference. Pointless gesture. Just be back next season to support RFC. Whether any or all of the above are is up to them. Sod 'em anyway!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Apr 2014 23:38

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Apr 2014 23:40

Ian Royal Thoroughly agreed this season has been a total disaster. I can't believe we've had to suffer a double relegation, sold our best players, abandoned our Academy and look like losing the stadium.
#Turn your backs

To take the sarcasm out, you're basically saying that this season hasn't been a disaster a) because we didn't get relegated again and b) we haven't abandoned our academy and c) because we're not losing the stadium. We did of course sell arguably some of our star players though in Kebe and Mariappa so that bit was a surprising choice for a sarcastic point.

To take your straw-man definition of total disaster, I'll accept it hasn't been a total disaster but we can both agree it has been some sort of a disaster.

Having said that we can also agree that it is harsh to produce any sort of protests given it's not really Sir John's, Adkins' or the players' fault oxf*rd turned out to be a useless little kid and we can be proud of a brilliant academy, have a great stadium and still a load of good players.

Whatever this season brings, the future is still bright for the Royals, disaster season or not.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 18 Apr 2014 23:41

floyd__streete
#Turn your backs

:|

Wait until we go into administration next season, that will be the real cost of this season of abject underachievement.

Hi Floyd. Haven't been paying much attention recently. Are we really going to go into administration?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Apr 2014 23:53

Royal Ginger

rofl

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Apr 2014 03:03

Ian Royal Mostly agreed, top 5-6 would be fairer. And I'm not sure Id be so dismissive of the majority of squad and manager for the future.

I'm not sure I'd say I thought we were going to turn a corner, I did think we were giving ourselves the opportunity to be well placed if we could manage it. The season's been meh, I just don't think that's such a huge deal.

We've Been spoiled and have been long due a dull year

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 19 Apr 2014 04:51

Pepe the Horseman
Royal Ginger

rofl

:lol:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Apr 2014 05:16

As far as I am concerned a fan should never "turn their back" on the team they support. At that point you might as well find another team to support based on what that action implies. Support the team to the bitter end. Many of these players not performing now were our heroes a couple seasons back when they "refused to lose". Show some respect for what they have accomplished (getting us promoted a second time to the top flight, even if that next season didn't go well) because only one other Reading team has accomplished what they have. Stay classy peeps. Give the effort to be the great fans we are and support the team to the fullest. Hopefully that'll send a message to these players now about the importance of making an effort even when things are not going well. At least give an effort of the champions you once were.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Apr 2014 05:31

Royal Ginger

:lol:

^^^^this is funny though. :D

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 19 Apr 2014 05:35

Libertine As far as I am concerned a fan should never "turn their back" on the team they support. At that point you might as well find another team to support based on what that action implies. Support the team to the bitter end. Many of these players not performing now were our heroes a couple seasons back when they "refused to lose". Show some respect for what they have accomplished (getting us promoted a second time to the top flight, even if that next season didn't go well) because only one other Reading team has accomplished what they have. Stay classy peeps. Give the effort to be the great fans we are and support the team to the fullest. Hopefully that'll send a message to these players now about the importance of making an effort even when things are not going well. At least give an effort of the champions you once were.

I think you've inadvertently hit on maybe why some of the passion is gone... most of those in that team yesterday weren't part of that Championship winning side.

Out the 11 who started yesterday only Pearce & Jobi were regulars....

McCarthy, Morrison, Obita & Hector are all still very much learning their trade, as is Akpan who before Christmas couldn't even seem to get a loan move.

Gunter & McCleary I'm sad to say have a history of failure, part of a relegated team here and before that part of a Forest side who similarly bottled it in the run-in.

Danny Williams is injured and a talent but even he was dropped by Hoffenheim during last season's relegation scrap, while Pogrebnyak has tried his best but isn't up to the standard of the likes of Doyle, Long, Roberts or even a Forster.

That 2011/12 side had a great blend of youth and experience, with experienced pros like Harte, Gorkss, Leigertwood, McAnuff and Roberts really leading the way. Sadly this time around those figures have either gone, been shocking form wise, inconsistent or injured.

It's been said all season but where is the real leadership on the pitch and where have the cool heads been when we've needed it the most? The very fact they've won just once when going behind says it all and even Nigel Adkins is hinting that this side is mentally weak. Blame the manager and owners all you want but the sad fact is that this side is very much lacking the toughness needed to grind out a promotion.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 19 Apr 2014 05:58

Yeah it was inadvertent but I agree with you...at least on yesterday's game and its participants. But my comments were on the season up til this point so far. HRK, Gorkss, and Le Fondre were also members of that team along with Jobi and Pearce (Feds will escape mention since he has not featured to any significant degree this season). And at points this season they were guilty of the same thing those 11 on the pitch were guilty of yesterday. There were many a game where we were not only outclassed in terms of execution but we were completely outworked by our opponents, usually much lower in the table than us. Yesterday wasn't a "one-off" incident, but it was the most glaring example of what has been going on with the playing squad this season, in perhaps our biggest game of the season.

But point taken about some of the players added since that promotion year. My apologies if this sounds harsh but most of them are underachievers and/or malcontents that don't know what it takes to win. I know he has his fans here but the first one who needs to go is Guthrie. In terms of team discipline/cohesion/pride in the shirt it all started going downhill last season with his childish antics. And for me he is the poster child for the dysfunction that has this team in its grips right now. To be fair we have been riddled with injuries this season, many players are playing out of position, and now playing hurt, just so we can field some semblance of a team. But too many times the minimum of at least putting in an effort has not been there this season.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 19 Apr 2014 06:17

Sadly I can only agree.

It's players like Le Fondre and Robson-Kanu who have failed to step into the shoes of the likes of Kebe and Roberts. Both men played roles in that promotion side but both were very much squad players who certainly had their moments but neither overly shone when they were asked to start. This season is the same, and as much as Alfie bangs on about being a 90 minute player, outside of two excellent performances against lowly sides, he hasn't scored when starting a game since October 19th :|

Is that all his fault? No, just the same way it's not simply HRK's fault or Adkins fault, or Anton's fault etc.

From top to bottom it's just been a badly managed two seasons and we're in a downward spiral. It's not a dramatic downward spiral ala Wolves but this isn't a team moving forwards, it's only moving back.

Fingers crossed there's a big clear out in the summer and funds given to Adkins to build HIS team rather than do his best with a decaying McDermott squad littered with Anton's vanity signings.

true blue 4 ever

by true blue 4 ever » 19 Apr 2014 07:40

1871 not 1998 When are you powderpuff Reading fans going to make a point and demonstrate your displeasure at the pathetic, lifeless, half arsed performances we've have to put up with this season?

Turn your back for the first minute at kick-off!

Anton and his broken promises OUT
Madejski and his broken promises OUT
Over-paid mercenaries OUT

Couldn't agree more....succinctly put

135 posts