Blessing in Disguise

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Blessing in Disguise

by genome » 03 May 2014 15:24

Gutted today, didn't think I would be but I think the last minute winner for Brighton was galling. Less said about the pitch invasion the better.

However I think staying down is the best thing for the club at this moment in time. If we had gone up perhaps Anton would've bought the club if we'd gone up and then we would've been stuck with a fickle owner who owned 100% which would have been a disaster, now we're staying down he can f!ck off.

Get shot of the high earners if possible and bring some of those youngsters through, and welcome some of the injured players back to fitness. I think it's a good opportunity to rebuild the squad.

I think it will be an interesting summer. While he could've done some things differently, I also think that Adkins has been short changed and 7th was probably the best he could've got out of that squad.

Roll on next season.

Blue & White Soup

Re: Blessing in Disguise

by Blue & White Soup » 03 May 2014 15:39

The devastating thing is, this team you grow to love is at the end of the road now. Big name departures and then still no budget to sign players I'm guessing. Lots of academy players coming through. Blackman, Ugwu and Samuel our recognised strikers next year? What I'm getting at, is this defeat just seems like a send off for the post coppell era. We're entering a new one now, and its going to be interesting but also sad to leave the old one behind.
Last edited by Blue & White Soup on 03 May 2014 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 May 2014 15:42

I think that once the disappointment has subsided, most sensible people will realise that it was probably for the best.

If players go, so be it.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 03 May 2014 15:44

Good news for fans of west London with trips to Brentford, Fulham and QPR to come.

ScepticalRoyal

by ScepticalRoyal » 03 May 2014 15:49

The cruel nature of the playoffs mean I'm devastated as a fan but, all circumstances considered, it's been a successful season. I'm very excited for the next one. Wouldn't call it a blessing though.

Nasty feeling this ownership saga is going to drag for the entire summer though. Wouldn't blame any of the players/manager for leaving because this season has been a bit of a farce from a non-footballing perspective.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 03 May 2014 15:53

Personally I think today proved we had enough to be top 6. The players need to take a long hard look at themselves today. Too many of them went missing for games we should have won.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 03 May 2014 15:58

How the hell is it for the best? We'll lose the majority of our best players, most likely lose Category 1 Academy Status, and rely on free transfers and academy players who will have their confidence shot as we lose repeatedly next season

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 03 May 2014 16:00

I like Pog but we can't afford him.

Ship Drenthe off, say goodbye to McCarthy, McCleary and Obita.

Hope the money pays for Cat 1 for a season or two and pray for the youngsters to step up.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 May 2014 16:02

urz13 How the hell is it for the best? We'll lose the majority of our best players, most likely lose Category 1 Academy Status, and rely on free transfers and academy players who will have their confidence shot as we lose repeatedly next season

No more than any other club who stay down will lose their best players. Three of Wigan, QPR, Derby and Brighton will be in exactly the same boat.

Get a grip.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 May 2014 16:09

Hardly a blessing is it. If we'd gone up we'd have got a season of big bucks plus our parachute money would have restarted the following season which would have lessened the mess behind the scenes.

Now we're in big doo-doo until JM manages to agree a deal with someone with at least some solid financial backing.

Expect a close season of no changes in the ownership mess and therefore players out of contract going as soon as they receive offers from other clubs.

Next season will be Academy starlets and, if we're lucky a few free transfer/out of contract cast offs from other teams making up the numbers.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 May 2014 16:12

World Cup starts in 40 days so we can all concentrate on booing England now

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 May 2014 16:13

Avon Royal
urz13 How the hell is it for the best? We'll lose the majority of our best players, most likely lose Category 1 Academy Status, and rely on free transfers and academy players who will have their confidence shot as we lose repeatedly next season

No more than any other club who stay down will lose their best players. Three of Wigan, QPR, Derby and Brighton will be in exactly the same boat.

Get a grip.

But we do need to get rid of our "best" players for the long term betterment of the club.

It'll just give opportunities for others to become our "best" players. And they'll likely have a stronger emotional connection with the club and the supporters and cost a helluva lot less in wages.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 May 2014 16:15

Blue & White Soup The devastating thing is, this team you grow to love is at the end of the road now. Big name departures and then still no budget to sign players I'm guessing. Lots of academy players coming through. Blackman, Ugwu and Samuel our recognised strikers next year? What I'm getting at, is this defeat just seems like a send off for the post coppell era. We're entering a new one now, and its going to be interesting but also sad to leave the old one behind.

Not many on here seemed to love the team ...

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 03 May 2014 16:16

by the sounds of it our academy is full of quality players and who are able to play the "adkins" way. i can imagine a few of them will come through the ranks next season to replace whoever we sell. i doubt we will have to many incoming in the summer. :( :roll:

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 03 May 2014 16:19

Royalwaster
Blue & White Soup The devastating thing is, this team you grow to love is at the end of the road now. Big name departures and then still no budget to sign players I'm guessing. Lots of academy players coming through. Blackman, Ugwu and Samuel our recognised strikers next year? What I'm getting at, is this defeat just seems like a send off for the post coppell era. We're entering a new one now, and its going to be interesting but also sad to leave the old one behind.

Not many on here seemed to love the team ...

Haha but i'm a soppy git.. Although i get angry with them, i do love the team

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 May 2014 16:21

Hardly a blessing is it. If we'd gone up we'd have got a season of big bucks plus our parachute money would have restarted the following season which would have lessened the mess behind the scenes.

Both times we've gone up, has the season of big bucks plus parachute money actually done this?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 May 2014 16:32

USA_Loyal_Royal by the sounds of it our academy is full of quality players and who are able to play the "adkins" way. i can imagine a few of them will come through the ranks next season to replace whoever we sell. i doubt we will have to many incoming in the summer. :( :roll:

Really don't share the optimism about the academy - if we are forced to rely on them next season it'll be relegation IMHO .... if we can retain some of our better player (and lose some of the deadwood) and sign a few decent but not over-expensive players, while adding one or two from the academy we could do OK. But if we're going to expect 4 or 5 to come straight into the team, it'll be Brendan Rodgers all over again.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 May 2014 16:38

There's no money to buy anyone and no one will pay for the silly wages of your drenthes your guthries your Pogrebnyaks or your bridges.
We couldn't even pay sharp and Baird for three months
And they would have got us into the playoffs

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 May 2014 16:41

Sutekh Hardly a blessing is it. If we'd gone up we'd have got a season of big bucks plus our parachute money would have restarted the following season which would have lessened the mess behind the scenes.

Just like last season's big bucks and this season's parachute money has lessened it this year!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 May 2014 16:42

melonhead There's no money to buy anyone and no one will pay for the silly wages of your drenthes your guthries your Pogrebnyaks or your bridges.
We couldn't even pay sharp and Baird for three months
And they would have got us into the playoffs

Where as if we'd gone up we'd have splashed the cash like last time we were promoted...........