Dave Kitson retires...

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Dave Kitson retires...

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Jul 2014 23:52

Once were Biscuitmen Never really forgiven him for giving us the behind the back finger at Cambridge.

At least he was big enough to forgive us for all the infantile abuse he got that day.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Jul 2014 06:32

Whoosh I suspect.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Jul 2014 06:40

Top bloke always gave 100% had a good brain too

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 23 Jul 2014 09:36

He was a great player, and although he doesn't come across as perfect, he seems to be a good bloke. Saying no to ginger day meant he went up in my estimation.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 23 Jul 2014 09:50

He played for Oxford in the 2nd half of a friendly against Farnborough the Saturday before last. Highlights are on the Farnboro website here - http://www.farnboroughfc.co.uk/

Sad way to end an illustrious career - wearing an Oxford Utd shirt!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 23 Jul 2014 10:52

Quite possibly my favourite ever Reading player.

We have had better centre forwards but Kitson got there through hard work and never giving up, he was a 'man of the people' and folk loved him for it. He was the opposite to your Guthrie's and Lita's, he didn't strut around like the world owed him a favour but instead was a shelf stacker who found the golden ticket and was just never ever going to let anyone take the opportunity away from him from there on.

When I think of Kitson I actually don't think of the goals he scored firstly but instead his charging down defenders looking to hoof it upfield and Kitson just managing to get a toe in the way meaning the ball didn't even make it into our half. Rarely ever saw him give less than 100%.

His complaints about ginger day just made Dave Kitson even more Dave Kitson and I loved him for it. He offered his opinion on things without really caring if it was the general consensus or whether it was what he should be seen to say, it was his honest opinion and he gave it. Can't really complain at that.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 23 Jul 2014 11:03

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 23 Jul 2014 12:30

P!ssed Off
Royal Rother A cert for a career in media (if he wants it).

He already has a career in media.

He kept that secret :wink:

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Jul 2014 12:45

Woodcote Royal
From Despair To Where? along with Jimmy Quinn, the most complete forward I ever saw in a Reading shirt.

Couldn't agree more and, sadly, remembering one of the very best members of our best ever team, cobbled together for shirt buttons in todays terms, only serves to remind me just how far we've slipped from what made RFC a fantastic club to support, rendering most visits to these pages tedious in the extreme.

What a bargain, what a ledge, give those aching limbs a well earned rest!

Agreed with all of that.
One of my all-time favourite players and thinking back to the days of him and Doyle playing up front makes me even more depressed for the season ahead with the prospect of third-raters Pog and Kanu being our first-choice strike force. :x :cry:

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 23 Jul 2014 12:48

soggy biscuit Quite possibly my favourite ever Reading player.

We have had better centre forwards but Kitson got there through hard work and never giving up, he was a 'man of the people' and folk loved him for it. He was the opposite to your Guthrie's and Lita's, he didn't strut around like the world owed him a favour but instead was a shelf stacker who found the golden ticket and was just never ever going to let anyone take the opportunity away from him from there on.

When I think of Kitson I actually don't think of the goals he scored firstly but instead his charging down defenders looking to hoof it upfield and Kitson just managing to get a toe in the way meaning the ball didn't even make it into our half. Rarely ever saw him give less than 100%.

His complaints about ginger day just made Dave Kitson even more Dave Kitson and I loved him for it. He offered his opinion on things without really caring if it was the general consensus or whether it was what he should be seen to say, it was his honest opinion and he gave it. Can't really complain at that.

Massive +1 to this.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jul 2014 20:30

Vision Pound for pound probably the best forward I saw in a Reading shirt.

I don't know what this means, but I agree anyway. The guy had so much class in every sense.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Jul 2014 06:30

I would suggest that Long and Doyle learned a lot from Kitson, and all three hours their rewards for keeping their feet firmly on the ground.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Jul 2014 12:27

From Despair To Where? I think we always knew we were getting a decent player when we bought him but he absolutely flourished in the championship, for 2 years, he almost single handedly dragged us to the edge of the playoffs and of course, his status as club legend is cemented by the 2005-06 season. It was only really injury (2006-07) and his own stupidity (2007-08) that prevented him from achieving much, much more in the game, but that's so typically Dave Kitson, outspoken, articulate, honest to a fault and, along with Jimmy Quinn, the most complete forward I ever saw in a Reading shirt.

As the man himself has said, to leave the game with only one regret isn't bad going and he'll always get a warm welcome back at the Mad Stad.

Thanks for all the many great memories.

Top post!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Jul 2014 13:28

I beg to differ - I remember he walked past me and Trevor Senior in the hotel once, just after having won Player of the Match or whatever and clutching his bottle of Champagne. He strode past everyone and even declined to give a little boy an autograph. TS said he could never have done that.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 24 Jul 2014 17:42

Royal Lady

I beg to differ - I remember he walked past me and Trevor Senior in the hotel once, just after having won Player of the Match or whatever and clutching his bottle of Champagne. He strode past everyone and even declined to give a little boy an autograph. TS said he could never have done that.

Fair enough RL but everyone is entitled to have an off day. There could be any number of reasons why he did not want to sign an autograph at that particular time. It may simply have been that he was late and if he signed one, he might then reasonably have felt obligated to sign dozens. In contrast, he was more than happy to sign my daughters Reading shirt and pose for a photo at Cardiff away (2005 I think).

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 25 Jul 2014 07:48

Hatrick v West Ham in 2005....good times.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2014 13:44

Amazing away day, the 2-1 win @ Sunderland - 1245pm kick off too!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 Jul 2014 14:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQsRJY7niU

One of the very best awaydays that was, 0400 start from Reading picking up Compo's Hat en route, arrival about 10.30am. Battered for an hour until Sir Les's introduction whence we then went on to control the match, gained a slightly lucky equaliser courtesy of a couple of Rick O'Shea's and then a clear penalty three minutes later won us the match. Good memories of that day, including an impromptu overnighter at the old man's because I didn't think I could make it back safely!!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Jul 2014 14:58

I thought we'd make the playoffs after the grit and determination shown in that game.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jul 2014 17:26

handbags_harris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQsRJY7niU

One of the very best awaydays that was, 0400 start from Reading picking up Compo's Hat en route, arrival about 10.30am. Battered for an hour until Sir Les's introduction whence we then went on to control the match, gained a slightly lucky equaliser courtesy of a couple of Rick O'Shea's and then a clear penalty three minutes later won us the match. Good memories of that day, including an impromptu overnighter at the old man's because I didn't think I could make it back safely!!

What a great game. This was a Sunderland team that was strolling to the title and my over-riding memory of the day, considering Kitson scored the penalty in the 80th minute, was how the home stands emptied in about two minutes after the penalty