CONFIMRED - Glenn Murray on loan

1020 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Glenn Murray on loan

by P!ssed Off » 21 Nov 2014 13:31

Extended-Phenotype What is your list of targets, PO?

I will be compiling a list of alternatives in the build up to the January transfer window, don't you worry about that.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 21 Nov 2014 13:35

P!ssed Off

I will be compiling a list of alternatives in the build up to the January transfer window, don't you worry about that.

Who've you got so far?

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 21 Nov 2014 14:42

Just a random one but a good example of someone we could look at -

Michael Smith from Swindon
11 Goals in 19 Games (including 2 goals from 2 apps in the League Cup)
23 years old
Believe he's about 6 ft 3 or 4

Reckon we could bag him pretty cheap. From what I've seen him he's looked decent aswell, not slow (not Usain Bolt either) and strong on the ball. Not saying he's a world beater but if you want someone who's young and showing some promise then he could be a shout.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Nov 2014 14:59

Robbie Fowler?

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 21 Nov 2014 15:10

Anyone else see this?

Bolton: Eidur Gudjohnsen offer possible - Neil Lennon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30114948

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Nov 2014 15:50

GH Royal Anyone else see this?

Bolton: Eidur Gudjohnsen offer possible - Neil Lennon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30114948

Change Eidar for Brynjar and Gudjohnsen for Gunnarsson and I'm all ears.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 21 Nov 2014 18:53

P!ssed Off
ZacNaloen Is it time to start talking down his contribution?

He's been ok... Pog offers more.

I've been doing that for a while now.
His last 37 shots have resulted in 3 goals.
£25K a week on a striker that, since debut, has required over 12 shots for each goal.

As if Derby have valued him at £3.5million... Absolute nonsense story.

Signing Murray for the supposedly agreed fee of £1.5 million, would be a poor move for Reading. He's 31. He'll probably want a contract until 2016. He'll probably want wages very similar to what he's on now. The guy is Pog MkII. And we've not even shifted Pog MkI yet.

Let Murray clear off in January. Sign a striker with a bit of oxf*rd pace, who's not in their thirties, and might possibly be worth more than we bought him for in a few years time.

P!ssed Off You've wasted your time there Snowball.
I've not claimed once that Pogrebnyak is better than Murray. I think Pogrebnyak is shit.

The question I've been asking is whether we should sign Murray or look elsewhere.

Yeah sorry m8, when I saw your reply to the first post above I also assumed you agreed Pog offered more than Murray.

To be fair though, you did call Murray "Pog MkII", which IMO is pretty harsh as its implying Murray is no better than that Russian carthorse. Which is definitely not the case.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 Nov 2014 19:05

Similar age, similar speed, both high wages, both signed without much thought for the long term,

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 23 Nov 2014 11:47

Alan Nixon in today's Sun claiming Murray wants to go back in Jan to prove Warnock wrong.

Couldn't blame the bloke tbf

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 23 Nov 2014 11:52

royalp-we Alan Nixon in today's Sun claiming Murray wants to go back in Jan to prove Warnock wrong.

Couldn't blame the bloke tbf

Deserting a sinking ship.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 24 Nov 2014 14:18

Extended-Phenotype
P!ssed Off

Who've you got so far?

Bump, in case you've forgotten m8

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 24 Nov 2014 17:51

Extended-Phenotype
Extended-Phenotype
P!ssed Off

Who've you got so far?

Bump, in case you've forgotten m8

Bump this a month from now, and you'll have my report.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 24 Nov 2014 19:04

Who will be on your report a month from now?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Nov 2014 20:09

Massive knockers

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Nov 2014 10:05

Murray is a decent Championship goalscorer, and relatively proven one at that. If we can secure him for two years within our budget then we defintely should.

As for getting a young, up and coming forward with pace from the lower leagues, I'd probably agree with that too. It's not easy though, and we did try it not so long ago when we paid out £1.5m for Blackman. Yes he's versatile and can play out wide but he was bought in as a young, quick forward with goals to his name. Is he good enough? Not in my eyes. Has he proven worth the gamble on him? No.

Would Nakhi Wells have been a better option? Almost certainly, but I think he also cost Huddersfield north of a million if the rumoured fees are anything to go by. Lets also not forget that Murray, and Cox for that matter, has out scored him so far this season. Wells has even struggled to hold down a place in the Huddersfield side as well.

A stike force of Murray, Cox and a pacey Wells type player would be ideal, but it really isn't that easy to find a cheap youngster who is going to settle in and perform at this level straight away.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Nov 2014 11:33

Hoop Blah Murray is a decent Championship goalscorer, and relatively proven one at that. If we can secure him for two years within our budget then we defintely should.

As for getting a young, up and coming forward with pace from the lower leagues, I'd probably agree with that too. It's not easy though, and we did try it not so long ago when we paid out £1.5m for Blackman. Yes he's versatile and can play out wide but he was bought in as a young, quick forward with goals to his name. Is he good enough? Not in my eyes. Has he proven worth the gamble on him? No.

Would Nakhi Wells have been a better option? Almost certainly, but I think he also cost Huddersfield north of a million if the rumoured fees are anything to go by. Lets also not forget that Murray, and Cox for that matter, has out scored him so far this season. Wells has even struggled to hold down a place in the Huddersfield side as well.

A stike force of Murray, Cox and a pacey Wells type player would be ideal, but it really isn't that easy to find a cheap youngster who is going to settle in and perform at this level straight away.

It's definitely difficult to find decent strikers at this or any professional level. I do however believe that there are options available if the club just cast their net a little wider. Swedish and Norwegian Leagues for example are a goldmine for hardworking, talented players. Remember some of Charlton's good players in their PL campaigns under Curbishley?
I'd even wager that the lower end of the Dutch top flight or the top end of their second tier might be worth a look.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 26 Nov 2014 11:50

Hoop Blah Murray is a decent Championship goalscorer, and relatively proven one at that. If we can secure him for two years within our budget then we defintely should.

Wells has 6 league goals, Murray has 5.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Nov 2014 12:33

Fair enough PO, I must've miss-read a number somewhere.

Point still stands though really, as much as I've been impressed with Wells when he played against us I'm not sure his record demands we should be taking a similar gamble on a young player for £1.5m instead of sticking with Murray.

Having both options would obviously be preferable though.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Nov 2014 12:36

Off topic slightly, but how's Kevin Doyle getting on at Palace? Has he even played?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 26 Nov 2014 20:24

Pepe the Horseman Off topic slightly, but how's Kevin Doyle getting on at Palace? Has he even played?

3 substitute appearances in the Premier League and a start in the League Cup, but hasn't really done anything.

From what I've read Palace fans would much rather have kept Murray than sign Doyle in the first place. Can't say I blame them...

1020 posts