54%

Total votes: 136
If you still hate Futcher

Re: Hope Akpan - Poll

by If you still hate Futcher » 18 Aug 2014 10:31

PistolPete
If you still hate Futcher [

Same here, don't deem it worthy of a vote

Akpan can pass, he can tackle and he can dribble but you're never sure he's going to. His touch can be awful or he can be neat and tidy. I know this thread isn't about one game, but toward the end on Saturday he was one of those that was still battling and running when others were understandably tiring and was an integral part of us seeing out the win.

Yep, I should have abstained!

Not sure if you were replying to me with the 'Akpan can pass, he can tackle and he can dribble but you're never sure he's going to' sentence - but I did say he can't do those things well. Shorey could pass well, Ledge could tackle well and Williams can dribble well - Akpan in what I've seen of him can't do any of those well in a Championship context. I agree he could be a confidence player though, but to be bereft of confidence in all the time he's been here is a bit much...

Yes I was replying to you and I must admit that I didn't see the well which does change the context of your post so apologies for that. But my reply is still the same, he can do it but you're never quite certain he will. He could a confidence player but he's also still very young, despite having played quite a few games, which I think gets overlooked because he was bought rather than coming through the academy.

I also agree that he is starting to come under pressure from the academy graduates but at the moment we need his (relative) experience and strength

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2014 10:34

Has he just got married to ex-ref Graham? Congrats obvs.

FoxyRoyal1871

Akpan!

by FoxyRoyal1871 » 18 Aug 2014 22:58

Anyone who went to the Ipswich game what do you think of Akpan? I was there and I personally thought he was awfull! I think we need to get rid of him asap, Send him on loan in league 1?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Akpan!

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2014 23:43

FoxyRoyal1871 Hopeless CackPants!

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 19 Aug 2014 01:29

I think that players who are much younger and have less experience than Akpan show much more composure. Fair enough he is only 23 but he came through a premier league academy, played plenty of league football with Crawley and has played about 25 times for us now including in the PL. Compared with Obita and Taylor it is a bit worrying but compared with how sharp Cooper and Hector looked it is a bit embarrassing.

I think he's actually better in the final third. Is too often left miles the wrong side of the opposition attack for a holding midfielder. But of course right now he is all we have!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 19 Aug 2014 17:35

No - Hasn't developed since he's been here. He'll get stuck in and give his all, seems like a good lad, but he's playing a level above himself. He'd be a real asset to any top end League One club.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Aug 2014 18:34

I voted yes on the basis he's still young & we are desperately short of CM's. He has had some bloody good games for us & people seem to forget that.

I want him to do well & I'm 100% sure he can get better. Whether that's good enough to remain here past this season, I'm not sure but I wish people would get off his back.

Any chance of one season without a scapegoat?!

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 19 Aug 2014 19:26

MmmMonsterMunch Any chance of one season without a scapegoat?!

Unlikely.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 20 Aug 2014 22:54

sputnik

Unlikely.

Ladbrokes are offering better odds the end to all wars, hunger and poverty.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 20 Aug 2014 23:01

He's not a scapegoat, he's sh1t.

by If you still hate Futcher » 21 Aug 2014 08:30

PistolPete

He's not a scapegoat, he's sh1t.

So how do you explain some people laying all the blame for Huddersfield's first goal solely on him totally ignoring the hospital pass

Yes he could've shielded the ball better but it was played behind his run and onto his left foot meaning he had to slow down and giving Butterworth(?) the chance to nick it

I'd actually give Akpan credit for not letting that affect him much and thought he was OK for the rest of the game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2014 09:16

At least if people would admit that they had made Akpan this season's scapegoat, their constant and often unfounded criticism of him would look a little less stupid and ignorant!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Aug 2014 09:45

RoyalBlue At least if people would admit that they had made Akpan this season's scapegoat, their constant and often unfounded criticism of him would look a little less stupid and ignorant!

Agreed. Constant and often unfounded criticism of one individual, ignoring anything good they do and blaming them for every little thing is indeed stupid and ignorant!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Aug 2014 09:59

RoyalBlue At least if people would admit that they had made Akpan this season's scapegoat, their constant and often unfounded criticism of him would look a little less stupid and ignorant!

:shock: i'm assuming you are being facetious considering your agenda against Madjeski?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Aug 2014 10:06

Vision

Agreed. Constant and often unfounded criticism of one individual, ignoring anything good they do and blaming them for every little thing is indeed stupid and ignorant!

Nice

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Aug 2014 10:46

Pepe the Horseman
Vision

Nice

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether to go the tried and tested Quote/change name route but on reflection think I made the right choice.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2014 15:51

Vision

:lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2014 17:34

WoodleyRoyal

:shock: i'm assuming you are being facetious considering your agenda against Madjeski?

Oh very clever! Give you that one (or at least partly).

However, Madejski isn't a scapegoat, he is a legitimate target who particularly over the past two years has provided plenty of firm foundation for criticism and who also has his own powerful PR machine to defend himself against criticism, unlike Akpan.

Furthermore it's one thing criticising the person at the top of an organisation who ultimately has full control and responsibility as opposed to picking on an individual much lower down who may only be doing what their manager has instructed them to do.

Talking of the Chairman and PR, it's interesting that those in power at RFC were quite happy to sit back and let Morrison take flak for being disloyal and mercenary, rather than taking the heat off him by admitting that they had been keen to sell and like Sig had given him a nudge to help him along the way.

And no-one really needs to really waste time and effort giving Sir credit for doing 'good' things because the self-publicist will already have made sure he has told the world and his wife all about it 'and if you look over there, you will see the academy I paid for'. As an aside, I sometimes wonder why the government can't derive sufficient revenue from income tax to pay for such things....

Finally, even if Madejski is my scapegoat, at least I have been consistent and don't change season by season!

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Aug 2014 18:44

RoyalBlue
WoodleyRoyal

However, Madejski isn't a scapegoat, he is a legitimate target who particularly over the past two years has provided plenty of firm foundation for criticism and who also has his own powerful PR machine to defend himself against criticism, unlike Akpan.

You do realise that Akpan is a legitimate 'target' for the same reason? He's the one putting in below average performances.

He's an ok squad player at this level, so long as he has the right player next to him. Given our injury situation I'd keep hold of him, for now.

by If you still hate Futcher » 22 Aug 2014 08:22

^ More importantly, are you the bloke with the motorbike off the 'go compare' advert?