An Evening with Brian McDermott, hosted by ReadingFPA

154 posts
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: An Evening with Brian McDermott, hosted by ReadingFPA

by Whore Jackie » 18 Oct 2014 20:56

Still Hate Futcher!
Para Handy Ha ha. Can't believe I used to think you were a decent poster m8.

Yes, Brian is clearly a nice guy. Think he ably demonstrated that last night. The rest of your post is just bollox really. Don't recall Brian saying anything about "nobody reporting stuff" apart from a joke with Jonny Fordham about stuff not appearing in the Sun. Don't remember anything about the "find a new manager" quote.

The fact is that is he's one of Reading's most successful managers ever. Under trying circumstances for most of the time. I make no apologies for loving the bloke. I've been watching the team since 1970 and when they got rid of Brian it was the first time I've ever considered giving it all up. I've yet to regain that feeling of a "club" under Adkins. Not sure I ever will tbh.

+1 McDermott's record at Reading was first class. He gets an average Championship side promoted as champions and then when he's given practically zero funds to strengthen (and a chairman who chooses the signings/wants to pick the team) everyone turns on him. In 3 seasons we finished 10th (from a place in the bottom 3), reached a play off final, 2 FA cup quarter finals (our 1st since the 20's) and won the league. Far bigger clubs and managers haven't come close to a record like that.

+2 LOL at anyone belittling McDermott's record and indeed his style of football, compared to the utter dross we've generally been dealt under Atkins.

Without being too Big Foot about this, I'd be more than happy to fork out another £20 to listen to Brian again next week, whereas I think the Legion might be too big a venue should the Reading FPA organise something with Nigel.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 18 Oct 2014 21:37

Got to say that it was a polished interview performance from another Reading legend Adie Williams on the night.

I remember seeing Adie on some South Today programme at Uri Geller's house. All I can remember is Adie saying something like "yeah, I'll have some of that" after Uri drew some playschool house.

Lol. You've come on leaps and bounds since then m8. Adie, I mean, not Uri obviously.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2014 00:14

P!ssed Off Brian's clearly a nice guy but he strikes me as a massive wimp.

It wasn't really a case of: do we believe AZ or McD? because Brian didn't actually say anything to believe.
Nor did he say anything when he was given a paltry transfer budget.
Nor did he say anything when AZ/JM went on the wind-up with the below-par Gylfi bid.
Nor did he say anything when Cellino first sacked him and he went crawling back.

He'll only give an opinion in front of a small audience, months later, on the condition that nobody reports what he's said.

Brian previously revealed that when he first met Anton he told him: "If you want to find yourself a new manager, no problem."
Have a bit of backbone ffs!

I wish him well on his return to scouting. That's probably what he's most suited to.

Laughable comments

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 19 Oct 2014 02:43

Para Handy The fact is that is he's one of Reading's most successful managers ever. Under trying circumstances for most of the time. I make no apologies for loving the bloke. I've been watching the team since 1970 and when they got rid of Brian it was the first time I've ever considered giving it all up. I've yet to regain that feeling of a "club" under Adkins. Not sure I ever will tbh.

While I was frustrated with some of our performances in the Premier League we were only there because of a massive over-achievement. I still recall after Watford at home that Championship-winning season wondering why I go. We were in the relegation zone at the time. Brian McDermott achieved a huge amount at this club and part of what makes the club special and "the Reading way" died when he was sacked.

Still, having to sell your best player each season and getting sacked for getting the team promoted must have been a walk in the park compared to the Leeds job.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Oct 2014 13:06

Royal Lady McD said himself that he often wondered where all the money went and that was after taking into account increased wages.

Interesting. Those of us on here who questioned where the money went were treated with scorn and told that we weren't close enough to the club/in the know to be able to question what we were being fed. Now we have someone who was a helluva lot closer to the club and who presumably would have some insight into the wages being paid (the justification often provided by those backing the club's line), saying that he too wondered where all the money went.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 19 Oct 2014 21:04

RoyalBlue
Royal Lady McD said himself that he often wondered where all the money went and that was after taking into account increased wages.

Interesting. Those of us on here who questioned where the money went were treated with scorn and told that we weren't close enough to the club/in the know to be able to question what we were being fed. Now we have someone who was a helluva lot closer to the club and who presumably would have some insight into the wages being paid (the justification often provided by those backing the club's line), saying that he too wondered where all the money went.

Exactly - I, too, have been vocal about what happened to all the money - but the know-it-alls on here shot us down as usual. I was pleasantly surprised that McD shared my ire.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2014 21:10

Cue ITK ers with raised eyebrows, pointing you to look at the accounts

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 21 Oct 2014 23:34

Whore Jackie
Still Hate Futcher!
Para Handy Ha ha. Can't believe I used to think you were a decent poster m8.

Yes, Brian is clearly a nice guy. Think he ably demonstrated that last night. The rest of your post is just bollox really. Don't recall Brian saying anything about "nobody reporting stuff" apart from a joke with Jonny Fordham about stuff not appearing in the Sun. Don't remember anything about the "find a new manager" quote.

The fact is that is he's one of Reading's most successful managers ever. Under trying circumstances for most of the time. I make no apologies for loving the bloke. I've been watching the team since 1970 and when they got rid of Brian it was the first time I've ever considered giving it all up. I've yet to regain that feeling of a "club" under Adkins. Not sure I ever will tbh.

+1 McDermott's record at Reading was first class. He gets an average Championship side promoted as champions and then when he's given practically zero funds to strengthen (and a chairman who chooses the signings/wants to pick the team) everyone turns on him. In 3 seasons we finished 10th (from a place in the bottom 3), reached a play off final, 2 FA cup quarter finals (our 1st since the 20's) and won the league. Far bigger clubs and managers haven't come close to a record like that.

+2 LOL at anyone belittling McDermott's record and indeed his style of football, compared to the utter dross we've generally been dealt under Atkins.

Without being too Big Foot about this, I'd be more than happy to fork out another £20 to listen to Brian again next week, whereas I think the Legion might be too big a venue should the Reading FPA organise something with Nigel.

+3

Power post by Para.

This club is getting what it deserves for turning on Brian and generally being utter pcunts.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 23 Oct 2014 23:15

Disappointed not to have gone to this - any reason why nothing can be said? Were people told to not comment?

If anyone would like to PM a more detailed summary it would be appreciated :)

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 24 Oct 2014 08:07

LWJ Disappointed not to have gone to this - any reason why nothing can be said? Were people told to not comment?

hobnob posted a fairly detailed summary of the evening on this site's home page (not the forum home).

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Oct 2014 08:30

wingnut
LWJ Disappointed not to have gone to this - any reason why nothing can be said? Were people told to not comment?

hobnob posted a fairly detailed summary of the evening on this site's home page (not the forum home).

Sorry to be a Dullard, but can you post a link? I've been all over the site and I can't find it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Oct 2014 09:09

Tilehurstsouthbank
wingnut

Sorry to be a Dullard, but can you post a link? I've been all over the site and I can't find it.

Maybe not 100% clear by the title of the article but: http://www.royals.org/news/271/Deadline ... EoI2WdNcUM

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Oct 2014 09:27

tidus_mi2 Maybe not 100% clear by the title of the article but: http://www.royals.org/news/271/Deadline ... EoI2WdNcUM

Cheers Tidus.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Oct 2014 19:45

Woodcote Royal
floyd__streete ^ directly contradicts the risible comments of AZ in the Press Conference which greeted Adkins appointment where he openly said that substabntial funds were available and not spent.

Who shall we believe: one of our most successful managers who always seemed to appreciate the fans or the shady former owner of the club who left us in financial turmoil?

Yep, makes my blood boil just reading some of that :evil:

No money, and normally out classed in the top flight, yet we still managed to defend better than we do under Bodgekins in the 2nd Tier :|

+1 to both sets of comments. Having said that, some of us with a brain realised all along what the truth was.

154 posts