An Evening with Brian McDermott, hosted by ReadingFPA

154 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: An Evening with Brian McDermott, hosted by ReadingFPA

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Oct 2014 20:33

^ he can think what he wants tho' even if he still can't say it.

A "real gent" out of time with the rest of the hyena football pack

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Oct 2014 20:46

More likely, as with coppell, he wouldn't rock the boat when employed by either club - especially Reading - he loved his many years here and wanted to be manager - he was sacked because we weren't doing very well on a paltry budget - if he spoke out at the time, who would want to employ him in capacity as manager again? He loves scouting and from what he said last night, I doubt he'd want to go back to management now anyway. Btw he also said he and players would look at forums such as this, though he advised players not to, as believe it or not some of them would take comments to heart and it affected them negatively

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Oct 2014 20:49

Fair comment, and given the circumstances, wouldn't it affect us all.

you never see me criticising team nor management for that very reason

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 17 Oct 2014 20:51

Ha ha. Can't believe I used to think you were a decent poster m8.

Yes, Brian is clearly a nice guy. Think he ably demonstrated that last night. The rest of your post is just bollox really. Don't recall Brian saying anything about "nobody reporting stuff" apart from a joke with Jonny Fordham about stuff not appearing in the Sun. Don't remember anything about the "find a new manager" quote.

The fact is that is he's one of Reading's most successful managers ever. Under trying circumstances for most of the time. I make no apologies for loving the bloke. I've been watching the team since 1970 and when they got rid of Brian it was the first time I've ever considered giving it all up. I've yet to regain that feeling of a "club" under Adkins. Not sure I ever will tbh.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 17 Oct 2014 20:52

Royal Lady Btw he also said he and players would look at forums such as this, though he advised players not to, as believe it or not some of them would take comments to heart and it affected them negatively

I've always thought that was the case as well.

It's human nature to be curious about what people are saying. How many people have "googled" yourself? Same concept really. I can imagine that many players at RFC have browsed the forums - probably just once though after they've seen the content :P

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 17 Oct 2014 21:00

Para Handy Ha ha. Can't believe I used to think you were a decent poster m8.

Yes, Brian is clearly a nice guy. Think he ably demonstrated that last night. The rest of your post is just bollox really. Don't recall Brian saying anything about "nobody reporting stuff" apart from a joke with Jonny Fordham about stuff not appearing in the Sun. Don't remember anything about the "find a new manager" quote.

The fact is that is he's one of Reading's most successful managers ever. Under trying circumstances for most of the time. I make no apologies for loving the bloke. I've been watching the team since 1970 and when they got rid of Brian it was the first time I've ever considered giving it all up. I've yet to regain that feeling of a "club" under Adkins. Not sure I ever will tbh.

The bit about him offering to resign when AZ came in is 100% true:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... rned-down-

The other criticisms are clearly my take on the occurrences.
No doubt he did a great job for much of his tenure, however I feel his lack of fight has cost him a bit of my respect.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 17 Oct 2014 21:07

Royal Lady More likely, as with coppell, he wouldn't rock the boat when employed by either club - especially Reading - he loved his many years here and wanted to be manager - he was sacked because we weren't doing very well on a paltry budget - if he spoke out at the time, who would want to employ him in capacity as manager again? He loves scouting and from what he said last night, I doubt he'd want to go back to management now anyway. Btw he also said he and players would look at forums such as this, though he advised players not to, as believe it or not some of them would take comments to heart and it affected them negatively

It's not that uncommon for a manager to make noises against ownership, whether it's to put pressure on upping a transfer budget or giving their side of a story.
Plenty of managers also give an opinion when they're sacked.

Coppell didn't really need to rock the boat under Madejski. Neither did Brian to an extent. It was once AZ came on board where I feel Brian could/should have asserted himself more. Offering to resign from the off was fairly timid, imo, and set the tone of the working relationship.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Oct 2014 21:16

Ever thought that MaccyD may be £££££ contractually bound, to be guarded about his ex-employers?

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 17 Oct 2014 21:26

P!ssed Off The bit about him offering to resign when AZ came in is 100% true:
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... rned-down-

The other criticisms are clearly my take on the occurrences.
No doubt he did a great job for much of his tenure, however I feel his lack of fight has cost him a bit of my respect.

OK. Guess, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I think he's a decent bloke, a good manager and a real football man. I think he did the best he could under Anton. I think he was made promises that turned out not to be achieivable for Zingarevich. I don't think Brian lacks fight or passion. I remain amazed at the short memories of Reading fans.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Oct 2014 21:33

Pains me but +1 to everything Para says

buckingham royal

by buckingham royal » 17 Oct 2014 23:51

Having attended last nights event, I think Brian has leant a lot from working under Anton and Leeds debacle.

The constraints and purchases initiated by AZ did not help Brian.

My impression if Brian was to return to management, it would only be based upon him having control over bringing in new players.

Football is all about opinions. Listening to Brian’s comments last night, perhaps confirmed some of our views on what was going on under the Russian.

Well, what did happen to the money !!!!! The Russian circus has a lot to answer – in my opinion.

Give credit where credit is due – I think he did well given what was going on.

Although we all cringed when he went to Leeds, can you blame him going to what is a big club !!!. However, until you are there, this would be only be the time to find out what is happening.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Oct 2014 23:56

Didn't really need to be there to come to that analysis I guess

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Oct 2014 05:19

AthleticoSpizz Ever thought that MaccyD may be £££££ contractually bound, to be guarded about his ex-employers?

Don't think P!ssed Off has ever thought about anything tbf.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Oct 2014 07:22

Did Brian enjoy the fish and chip supper? How did he rate the choice of condiments?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Oct 2014 08:26

No problem with Bri coming out swinging, he's earned that right, but my question would be around why he didn't let NA know about all this when he called him up to ask him if it was alright to take the job.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 18 Oct 2014 09:19

Para Handy Ha ha. Can't believe I used to think you were a decent poster m8.

+1 McDermott's record at Reading was first class. He gets an average Championship side promoted as champions and then when he's given practically zero funds to strengthen (and a chairman who chooses the signings/wants to pick the team) everyone turns on him. In 3 seasons we finished 10th (from a place in the bottom 3), reached a play off final, 2 FA cup quarter finals (our 1st since the 20's) and won the league. Far bigger clubs and managers haven't come close to a record like that.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Oct 2014 10:56

As much as I like Pogrebnyak, the idea that we could have had a go at getting Long back instead is quite galling.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Oct 2014 12:34

sandman
AthleticoSpizz Ever thought that MaccyD may be £££££ contractually bound, to be guarded about his ex-employers?

Don't think P!ssed Off has ever thought about anything tbf.

:roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2014 13:08

A few thoughts on the money issue...

He may not have had much to spend on transfer fees but we paid a hell of a lot in wages. Hence our financial problems. Although it's quite believable that was Zing and not Bri.

Although I lose respect for him having said at the time that he identified Pog and now saying he had nothing to do with it. I don't expect him to have told the truth at the time, but certainly less of a lie.

On the Gylfi bid, perhaps rather than bidding an amount that wouldn't be accepted for a player with sights higher than us, maybe he could have used it for someone better than the shockingly poor signings of Akpan and Blackman.

But glad to hear he's doing well again and was in fine form. Top bloke and despite the flaws one of our best and most successful managers.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Oct 2014 18:44

McD said himself that he often wondered where all the money went and that was after taking into account increased wages.

154 posts