Shoot Out shout out

East Grinstead Royal

Re: Shoot Out shout out

by East Grinstead Royal » 26 Sep 2014 12:27

strap
Sutekh
strap Think this is the lot ...

The Exeter Associate Members Cup game would have stumped most people.

Strap - I thought we beat Darlington 4-2 on penalties that night not lost to them....

Good call - quite right. Many thanks.

We had 18 attempts to their 7 and still had to come from behind 3 times to force extra time. Peter Mate, (remember him?), equalised in the 88th minute via a goalmouth scramble on his only ever game for RFC. Peter Mate, Ulises de la Cruz and Andre Bikey - were making their Royals debuts.

We could have been out in the shoot out too. David Stockdale saved Steven Hunt's penalty but was adjudged to have moved from his line, allowing Hunt to fire home the re-take and tee up a spot-kick win that was sealed by Andre Bikey. We finally won 4-2 in the shoot-out.

Darlington were hard done by that night. Apart from the penalty re-take, wasn't Peter Mate's goal scored with his hand?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Sep 2014 13:14

tmesis Somehow I just knew we'd win, and I heard the cheer which I knew meant we'd won as I was passing Burger King, catching the train with just a few minutes to spare.

Jimmy Hill that you could heard Elm Park from Friar Street, no matter how loud the cheer.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Sep 2014 16:55

The Cube I tried to put together a detailed list of penalty shoot-outs some years ago, an archive of which you can find here (doesn't include the Northampton game):
http://web.archive.org/web/20111008023142/http://www.btinternet.com/~rfc1871/news/features/penalty.htm

There was one piece of information I could not find anywhere - which team went first in the Exeter shoot-out. I've checked reports in local papers at both ends, asked people who attended, and even asked the player who took our last kick (Kevin Dillon).

Your page talks about a list of games going to extra time - if it's any help, my list of games going to ET, (and it may not be 100% accurate but I can't find any others), is:

The Cube

by The Cube » 26 Sep 2014 18:41

strap Your page talks about a list of games going to extra time - if it's any help, my list of games going to ET, (and it may not be 100% accurate but I can't find any others), is:

That project is so far back on the shelf it's never going to see the light of day. But I thought there would be far more than you've listed. However, I can see two missing on an immediate look:

- 1878/79 Berks and Bucks final. Surprised you left that out...
- the Keith Scott golden goal game against Barnet in 1999/2000 AMC.

Also, Heaven on Earth lists some pre-1920 FA Cup games that had extra time.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Sep 2014 19:48

The Cube
strap Your page talks about a list of games going to extra time - if it's any help, my list of games going to ET, (and it may not be 100% accurate but I can't find any others), is:

That project is so far back on the shelf it's never going to see the light of day. But I thought there would be far more than you've listed. However, I can see two missing on an immediate look:

- 1878/79 Berks and Bucks final. Surprised you left that out...
- the Keith Scott golden goal game against Barnet in 1999/2000 AMC.

Also, Heaven on Earth lists some pre-1920 FA Cup games that had extra time.

Sure, only got back to 1920/21 so far. Thanks for Barnet - the match report in the database states "After extra time. Score 1-1 at f/t. This was a sudden death golden goal." !! Completely missed off the reference to ET in the Comp Round!

D'oh!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Sep 2014 09:33

From Despair To Where?
The Cube There is a video of one goal here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7ZG4aXFO0
Anyone sitting on a video of the shootout part?

Do I spy Danny Bailey playing for Exeter in that vid?

Yes. What a beast.

Was that the same year we beat Exeter 6-4 on their patch in the league? We were 4-1 up at half time and they got it back to 4-4.