BFTG - Blackpool

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Blackpool

by 3points » 25 Oct 2014 20:20

MmmMonsterMunch I pity those poor b@stards that travelled from Blackpool to watch that. Fair play to them as I couldn't stomach it in their position.

Can see them freefalling out of the football league completely.

One of the poorest games I've seen in years. CBA to do ratings - what's the point? :lol:

Ratings - everyone 6 except Mackie 7 and Jake Taylor 7 after he came on. HRK 4 for doing bugger all. Feds 5 for poor kicking and slow distribution

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Oct 2014 20:29

Cheer up guys.

Esteban

by Esteban » 25 Oct 2014 20:32

Dreadful game, Blackpool will go down, their keeper was terrible, Pearce and Hector are not a good pairing (either one would be alright next to a defender that could organise though), Blackman is better than HRK and we need our injured players back ASAP.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Oct 2014 20:35

I'm ok Pepe

Felt significantly happier once I saw the Birmingham score & realised we've not played them at all yet

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 25 Oct 2014 20:35

How shit were Blackpool? :lol:
At least we're not that shit.

Over the previous 7 games I was at we've conceded 20, scored 8, so I'll take a 3-0 win in whatever form it comes.
Adkins has gained himself a few more weeks at least.

The 3 home games coming up don't look particularly challenging. 2 wins from Charlton, Rotherham and Bolton is Adkins' new target.
Can't see us taking much from the next 3 away.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 25 Oct 2014 20:41

Soporific game in unseasonably (and beautiful) afternoon sunshine.

Impression one gets is that the team often do the 'bare minimum' to get by.

Blackpool were truly dire.

Reading were efficient at times, some of the basics were quite good, some good passing at times.

However, there is little 'spark' - no drive that in particular you used to see in Coppell's selections.

It's kind of 'Reading Lite'.

Glad of the three points. Some tough games coming up against opposition that will need a bit more bite exerted against them than today's visitors.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 25 Oct 2014 20:43

MmmMonsterMunch I'm ok Pepe

Felt significantly happier once I saw the Birmingham score & realised we've not played them at all yet

In 7 games time.
Let's hope it's not another Blackpool (must win, after 6 league games winless)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Oct 2014 20:48

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue A massive banana skin successfully avoided!

I really like Mackie's passion and determination - and that's not to say he's lacking in footballing ability.

However, at this moment in time Cox must be a red hot favourite for Player of the Season. I am an Adkins supporter but was mystified by his decision to take Cox off. You defend from the front and Cox was doing that extremely well - constantly hassling their defence and causing them all sorts of problems. He also looked the player most likely to create opportunities for us.

Hard to criticise the decision in retrospect seeing as we went from 1-0 up to 3-0 up afterwards. And it's not an uncommon sub. There's a lot to be said for only asking a hardworking player to put in 60 - 70 minutes.

Even as an Adkins fan, I think he got a bit lucky with that decision today. If it had gone the other way, it would have given the lynch mob some much needed additional ammunition!

by 9165 » 25 Oct 2014 20:52

My first game this season - I said after Charlton last December I wouldn`t go again . I`ve held out for 10.5 months, so I`m giving them another go ! Anyhow, Blackpool were poor, we were just that bit better. Best players were Mackie and Obita . Cox rightly subbed and Taylor had a great impact with his willingness and energy, close to being MOM with Mackie. We would be better not easing off after we score, a better opponent would finish us off. Not sure when to go next !

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Oct 2014 20:53

3points
MmmMonsterMunch I pity those poor b@stards that travelled from Blackpool to watch that. Fair play to them as I couldn't stomach it in their position.

One of the poorest games I've seen in years. CBA to do ratings - what's the point? :lol:

Ratings - everyone 6 except Mackie 7 and Jake Taylor 7 after he came on. HRK 4 for doing bugger all. Feds 5 for poor kicking and slow distribution

So like the ref you failed to spot Feds' brilliant save?! A couple of other decent saves and takes too. Kicking really wasn't that bad (the one he kicked out on the left in the first half was because he played safe and opted not to kick it straight towards the rapidly closing forward!) and a lot of the distribution was intentionally slow - when opportunities were on he did release quickly e.g. the kick for Cox to chase down the right in the first half. To give him just 5 is absurd.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 25 Oct 2014 20:54

Ian Herring However, there is little 'spark' - no drive that in particular you used to see in Coppell's selections.

IMHO Pardew started the high tempo hard working team, we need to get back to that starting with multi-ball. We take an age over throw ins, I'm sure that would help.

BRING BACK MULTI BALL

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Oct 2014 21:12

RoyalBlue
3points

So like the ref you failed to spot Feds' brilliant save?! A couple of other decent saves and takes too. Kicking really wasn't that bad (the one he kicked out on the left in the first half was because he played safe and opted not to kick it straight towards the rapidly closing forward!) and a lot of the distribution was intentionally slow - when opportunities were on he did release quickly e.g. the kick for Cox to chase down the right in the first half. To give him just 5 is absurd.

Sitting 100 yds away, it was difficult to spot a save or a post so I can only take your word for that, given the red didn't see it and he was a lot closer to it than me. Other than that, the only thing he really had to do was take a clattering from Miller in the first half, which was a brave piece of keeping.

When he kicked long to Cox he took the wrong option. Cox was marked, whereas HRK a had about 20 yds of space. Plus he over hit the kick giving Cox almost no chance of reeling it in. He also didn't come out to claim a couple of balls to mKe life easier for his defence. It's like he's got lead in his boots, he's so slow to come off his line. I assume you didn't see how pissed off Murray was getting with him either making him run across the full width of the pitch as Feds wanted to kick it to the right touch line when Murray was lined up with HRK on the left.

I think he's single handedly turning us back into a hoofball team as a result of his superior distribution skills.
Last edited by 3points on 25 Oct 2014 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 25 Oct 2014 21:15

bobby1413 People booing Adkins songs should be ashamed. Whether you disagree or not, booing him is unwarranted. Either support him as he is still the manager or stay quiet - perfectly acceptable.

Well said (or typed)

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Oct 2014 21:19

PieEater
IMHO Pardew started the high tempo hard working team, we need to get back to that starting with multi-ball. We take an age over throw ins, I'm sure that would help.

BRING BACK MULTI BALL

Isn't multi ball banned these days? But I agree, our tempo in awful with our inability to take quick throw ins

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Oct 2014 21:19

harry
bobby1413 People booing Adkins songs should be ashamed. Whether you disagree or not, booing him is unwarranted. Either support him as he is still the manager or stay quiet - perfectly acceptable.

Well said (or typed)

Was a handful of people though - hardly anyone. Rather than just pick that bit out, for balance you ought to really mention the majority of fans gave him very vocal support in the 2nd half. I was quite surprised TBH but fair play to those that did.

Reading fans are generally very supportive & have been very patient considering the BS they've put up with behind the scenes & on the pitch for the last 2 and half seasons.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 25 Oct 2014 21:20

PieEater
Ian Herring However, there is little 'spark' - no drive that in particular you used to see in Coppell's selections.

BRING BACK MULTI BALL

I thought the League banned multi-ball a few years back. Dreadful decision. Paying fans in the stadium get less ball in play time over 90 minutes. I guess it gives TV time for replays. Or am I just blaming TV for everything I see as wrong in the game?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 25 Oct 2014 21:22

MmmMonsterMunch
harry

Well said (or typed)

Was a handful of people though - hardly anyone. Rather than just pick that bit out, for balance you ought to really mention the majority of fans gave him very vocal support in the 2nd half. I was quite surprised TBH but fair play to those that did.

Reading fans are generally very supportive & have been very patient considering the BS they've put up with behind the scenes & on the pitch for the last 2 and half seasons.

Good point. Thought the vocal support was great. Loyal supporters 3 Boo boys 0

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2014 21:27

wingnut Yeah pretty poor quality football from both sides. No sign of the passing game Nigel was supposed to bring with him and after making so many comments about long kicks from the keeper it was interesting* to note that Feds hit it long every time he had the ball. So still not sure what Adkins brings to our table really.
Bewildering subs - Hal hardly touched the ball all game and yet stayed on the pitch. Pog currently looks nothing like a professional footballer and shouldn't be anywhere near our first 11.
And the penalty looked like it should've been a free kick on the edge of the area and should've been retaken anyway.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps Adkins wanted the defence to spend as little time with the ball as possible and try to avoid us giving it away in our own half where we've gone on to be punished frequently.

Agree on Pog and HRK.

Oh and on Taylor - he was finally playing in his actual position.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 25 Oct 2014 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Oct 2014 21:32

Pog is so slow. My dad, who's 74, came to the game today for the first time in about 8 years and couldn't believe his lack of pace. Makes Blakey look like Usain Bolt

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 25 Oct 2014 21:47

Feds - good saves when required, including one the ref missed
Back 4 - much more solid. Full backs got forward well especially Obita. All 4 looked much better
Akpan - good game breaking their play up and even showing his creative side on a couple of occasions
Norwood - quiet one by his standards.
HRK - unconvincing, would love to see him show what we know he can do
Mackie - fine game, even looked a winger today at times, ran all day, one decent shot blocked, only let down by a miss of Steve Stone proportions, probably his best gam for us
Cox - pretty good game, seemed to tire
Murray - good game, soft goal but they all count, ref gave him nothing, has he got a reputation from his Palace days that he is paying for now? I can't understand how he gets so much given against him and gets nothing in his favour

Taylor - wasn't convinced by the substitution but while it was only a cameo appearance I thought he played the best I've seen him. Lots of running to give options & close down
Pog - looked off the pace
Blackman - another good cameo. Brilliant run for the penalty and very coolly taken after the opposition did their best to put him off. Worth a start ahead of HRK at the moment